Which club in the Sydney area?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

heavyweight

Which club in the Sydney area?

#1 Postby heavyweight » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:25 pm

Hi guys,

been lurking round the site for the past week or so reading up on the sport and its really caught my attention. I’m originally from the UK, been here with my Australian wife coming up to 4 years. I have shot small-bore 3 positional rifle for many years, representing Great Britain, England and Surrey Country. Gave it all up when i moved over to Oz.

Now i'm settled in i'm ready to take up shooting again. Wanted to try something different, so here i am!

Was hoping to make contact with Sydney based F-Class shooters, find out about the clubs in the area, which ones have a strong F-Class membership, and recommendations on clubs that are good for beginners in the sport, that kind of thing. Have checked out the club list on the site, but was hoping someone on here might be able to give me more info.

Thanks in advance!

And thanks to Alan for the info already.

bully_eye

#2 Postby bully_eye » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:16 pm

Where abouts in Sydney are you based? Basically there is Hornsby and ANZAC Range at Malabar to choose from in Sydney where clubs shoot F-class. I shoot at Hornsby when I'm not working with the Hornsby RSL club and can say that in general the F-class shooters are pretty friendly and helpful and there are half a dozen clubs up there. More shoot at Malabar but it's a bigger range. Shooting starts at 1pm on Saturdays at Hornsby and it's proably best to just turn up and have a chat to some shooters. Not many compete in prize shoots but the district championship is at a fairly high level and doesn't cost any extra. Maybe someone else can give you a run down on shooting at Malabar?

Hope to see you around,
Michael

heavyweight

#3 Postby heavyweight » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:28 pm

bully_eye wrote:Where abouts in Sydney are you based? Basically there is Hornsby and ANZAC Range at Malabar to choose from in Sydney where clubs shoot F-class. I shoot at Hornsby when I'm not working with the Hornsby RSL club and can say that in general the F-class shooters are pretty friendly and helpful and there are half a dozen clubs up there. More shoot at Malabar but it's a bigger range. Shooting starts at 1pm on Saturdays at Hornsby and it's proably best to just turn up and have a chat to some shooters. Not many compete in prize shoots but the district championship is at a fairly high level and doesn't cost any extra. Maybe someone else can give you a run down on shooting at Malabar?

Hope to see you around,
Michael

Thanks for the reply Michael. I'm based in Crows Nest. I think i'll pay a visit after the easter break.

thanks again

bully_eye

#4 Postby bully_eye » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm

Pretty much smack bang between the two ranges. I'm in Wollstonecraft so practically neighbours. I'm not shooting much at the moment due to work but am sure you'll find some good people to talk to.

Michael

RDavies

#5 Postby RDavies » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:26 am

Ive found the ANZAC range at Malabar on a map, but not the Hornsby range. Where abouts is the Hornsby range, do you have some basic directions?
I will be moving to Hunter Valley later in the year and have been to visit the Cessnock range, but I would like to find more ranges.

bully_eye

#6 Postby bully_eye » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:49 pm

Off Rosamond St Hornsby. The range is located behind Mt Wilga Hospital and is roughly near the intersection of the Pacific Hwy and Galston Rd. The big range has mounds out to 800m and the SSAA has a small 100yd range and there is also a pistol range- all outdoors. All street directories I've seen have the range marked but the directions I've giving should help.

Michael

RDavies

#7 Postby RDavies » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:59 pm

Thanks for that bully eye. You will be seeing me down there later in the year.

Return to “General Forum”