Bloop Tubes

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

Bloop Tubes

#1 Postby scott/r » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:13 pm

I was talking to one of the members from here the other day, via text, about bloop tubes. Whilst I have absolutely no reason at all not to beleive what he was telling me about Bloop tubes and what they do for your sight picture, I was hoping that a few of you guys that have used them might be able to comment on your experience with them, as I've never had anything to do with them before. I'm not really concerned about what they do to moa movements, I'm more interested in what they do for your sight picture.
Scott.

lonerider43

Re: Bloop Tubes

#2 Postby lonerider43 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:06 pm

hmmm,what are they exactly ?
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

scott/r

#3 Postby scott/r » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:02 pm

lonerider43 wrote:hmmm,what are they exactly ?

They are an extension tube on the end of the barrel that your front tunnel mounts onto.
Scott

lonerider43

#4 Postby lonerider43 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:40 pm

hmmm further research is in order i think....
thanks scott
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

!Peter!

#5 Postby !Peter! » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 pm

I run a bloop tube and have done for many years on both smallbore and fullbore rifles. The main advantage it gives you is increased sighting accuracy. It also allows you to maintain a constant sight radius with different barrel lengths which keeps the optimum shooting glasses prescription the same which is why I have one on my fullbore rifle.

However, changing the sight radius changes the click value of the sights so a 1/4 minute per click sight will now be less than a 1/4 minute per click with an increased sight radius.

williada

#6 Postby williada » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:24 pm

To follow up Peter's remarks, there is a reduction in the click value and I feel there is value in increased sighting accuracy, but that may be enhanced with other considerations of more importance otherwise grouping benefits may become illusory.

I think W Grenness would be the bloke to comment in detail as he was a fine shooter using the bloop tube first made famous to my knowledge by the renowned American barrel maker "Boots" Obermeyer.

In my day, "Eagle Eyes" were not used and the bloop tube was initially used to get better definition for those whose eyes became more longsighted with age. People also experimented with length but at the extreme too much weight forward became a rifle balance issue.

A good optometrist should be able to optimize any lens setup or combination of rear lens and eagle eye. J Corbett had some interesting articles on his site with regards optometry. There were a few articles on the net that consider the balance of the aiming mark, with the amount of white exposed and the relative size of the front ring annulus.

If we are talking long range, then I think a better picture can be established and that is the key to increased sighting accuracy. G Ayling has advocated reducing the annulus size of front rings to balance the picture seen at long range. When shooting TR my eye agreed.

Bloop tubes do alter group size for the better or worse. Obermeyer discovered a relationship between the group size and the and the internal diameter of the tube. This has been developed further with the advent of barrel tuners.

Some elite, modern exponents like a long whippy barrel that is backbored and acts as would a bloop tube a la Corbett. In reality, the dimensions of barrel length and width of the backbore are also tied to primary vibrations. There is much more to this than meets the eye. Check out long barrels offered by David Brewster.

RobinCarter

#7 Postby RobinCarter » Mon May 03, 2021 9:06 pm

Scott
My wife and I are small bore and 300 mt ISSF prone shooters, and we use tubes on everything! On our Full bore Keppelers we both use 6 ins tubes. They make no difference to the ballistics, but do improve the precision of the aim. They simply increase the sight base which in its self is an advantage, but for the "more mature" amongst us it also moves the front sight out to a better compromise for focus. We both noticed an improvement on scores.

TR is a bit behind the times for small bore and 300 mt fullbore and in those all the top level shooters use tubes, we no longer do TR, if we did we would use tubes.

Yes, you will need to increase the size of your foresight elemement, the tubes need cleaning, which is the only downside we can think of, other than on a full bore they need to be tight to not move under recoil. I don't think the change in sight adjustment is even relevent it is so minimal, but in 300 mt we are using up to 12 click per minute sights.

My wife is shooting top level scores in both small bore and 300 mt full bore, I have pics of the tubes fitted on her small bore Walther, and her Full bore Keppeler 6 mmBR 300mt rifle, if you would like to see the pics email robin.carter80@ntlworld.com

Have Fun
Robin
(England)

Rich4

#8 Postby Rich4 » Tue May 04, 2021 6:51 am

So everybody I know over 40 complains that their arms are too short to read the paper! It’ll help with focal length and longer sight radius helps by default, ID needs to be big enough to not disturb gasses, might pay to scope test as the sighting improvements can mask a vibrational deficit, the extra length is not always a plus :oops:

RobinCarter

#9 Postby RobinCarter » Thu May 06, 2021 6:08 pm

Ours on 6 mmBR are 6 ins internal length, and 20 mm ID (Just over 3/4" in old money), they need to be clamped up real tight, and we use a location ring left on the barrel to accurately locate the same position each time, they are a sod to clean, and they do show you how good your hold is, or not, as movement is a tad more obvious.

Have Fun
Robin

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”