Beginner numbers

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

SiegeLord

Beginner numbers

#1 Postby SiegeLord » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi all

Im a complete beginner to the sport and just picked my first rifle (omark .308) and zeroed it at the Pinjar zero range using the nra winchestor 150gn ammo. It has a 1/4 min adjusrable rear sight.

Could someone kindly provide me some suggested elevation settings for the various distances so that i maybe in the rough ball park...

Cheers all

DannyS

Re: Beginner numbers

#2 Postby DannyS » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:27 pm

300. Zero
500 yards. 5 minutes
600 yards. 8 m
700 yards. 12m
800 yards. 17 m
900 yards. 21 m
1000 yards 26m

These are a rough guide and will vary depending on your sight radius etc.

These should get you on target. If you’re in metres then I’m sure someone else will advise. I’m also sure someone will also dispute my figures :) :)

Welcome to the sport, you will find plenty of advice on this forum.

Cheers
DannyS
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

RJNEILSEN

#3 Postby RJNEILSEN » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:51 pm

As forecast by DannyS, I will lodge a dispute.

I think you are shooting TR with a central rear sight and need elevations that are different to a rifle scope that moves in true minutes of angle.

This little range card I made will give you some elevations and also some wind tips that may help you stay in the black. Multiply the wind adjustment by the reduction factor based on the wind direction.

Every rifle configuration is different. But this is a good start.

Cheers,
Ryan.

lonerider43

#4 Postby lonerider43 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:18 pm

also,write down the front site ring,rear site elevation and changes for each range. [what the elevation is when you finish.]
this mob have a free target for doing elevation sighting.its very good.http://www.triplej.com.au/downloads.htm
that flat spot on top of the action,is dead level,it can be used when your leveling your front and rear sights.

ps: welcome :D
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

RJNEILSEN

#5 Postby RJNEILSEN » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:33 pm

This mob also has a couple of downloads to help;

http://www.sumosight.com/downloads/

You can find my ring size calculator, a zero range target and plot sheets for each range.

Cheers,
Ryan.

scott/r

#6 Postby scott/r » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:12 am

When you say you have zeroed your sights, have you zeroed them at 100 or 300 m/yrds? If you've only set them at 100 you'll have to come up about 5-6 moa for 300. 99% of us zero everthing at 300 as there's not much use for 100 zero as we don't shoot it.
Unfortunately you'll have to get out on the range and shoot bullets to get your rifles accurate elevations. Bummer, I know.
My elevations are in between Danny's and Ryan's, but Ryan's will definitely get you on paper, where Danny's will be a bit low at the longs for an O'mark with peeps. And get yourself a diary and write everything in it. Evelations, ring sizes, type of ammo (whether it's Winchester or Adi or hand loads specs once you start loading your own). It may seem silly now, but you'll understand in a little while how important your little book will become.

Ryan, what size paper is your zero target set up for? A4 or A3?
Scott

SiegeLord

#7 Postby SiegeLord » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:42 pm

Hi all

Thankyou all very much for the info and links. So much to get my head wrapped around and then apply.. Im looking forward to applying it all.

The zero range at pinjar looks to be about 25m. Im guessing i didn't really zero at that distance. (I used it help confirm that the second hand sghts where lined up correctly on a small target face). I still need to make it out to a practice day.

Lenses.... Oh so thats all those are for (my worldly experience of TR was previously limited to the clubs FClass rifle because im a lefty). I opted for TR for the tinkering

Off to the books i go. :)

Tim L

#8 Postby Tim L » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:48 pm

There is an A4 target floating around that has a vertical line with cross bars at various heights and 300, 400, 500 etc marked on them. Its designed to give you settings from 25m. They were at Pinjar for the queens, I'd be surprised if there aren't any left on the zeroing target frames.
Aim at the bottom dot and adjust your sights until the bullet hits the cross bar. That will "roughy" be the setting for the annotated distance.

Mick_762

#9 Postby Mick_762 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:42 am

PM me your address and I will send you a couple A3 zeroing targets.

From memory - set them level at 25yards and you can also check your elevation post for cant.

Regards,
Dave
David Mickel
Darwin Rifle Club

Quick

#10 Postby Quick » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:31 pm

SeigeLord,

What club do you shoot with?? The WARA shop has zero targets for TR rigs and they have the distances in yards on them so you can get an approximate come up. Otherwise if you ask your club members, they will be able to put you on the right track for sure.

I'm Captain of Bassendean Bellevue Rifle Club which shoots at Pinjar so feel free to PM me if you need any help.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”