New to F STD. Rifle choice?

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

jjjtam76@gmail.com

New to F STD. Rifle choice?

#1 Postby jjjtam76@gmail.com » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:25 pm

Gday fellas.

New to target shooting and would like some advice regarding rifle and equipment choice for this discipline.

Thanks in advance.

Lachlan

Re: New to F STD. Rifle choice?

#2 Postby Lachlan » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:36 pm

Target shooting is a game of money.. what’s your budget?

No point recommending a March/Bat combo when you’re on a Vortex/Howa budget :P

Havnfun

#3 Postby Havnfun » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:23 pm

Hi JJJTam,
F STD doesn’t have to be about the biggest budget. Trust me the target doesn’t care how much you spend.
Best to go to your local clubs and ask and see who is using what and what is available.
Personally I recommend a good second hand Barnard with a Nightforce BR 8-32 scope and a Ken Noye Stock , Barrel - Maddco, Bartlein, benchmark are my choices
Alternatively RPA , Kelbly, Bat, Pierce and others make great Actions.
Good luck in your quest

jjjtam76@gmail.com

#4 Postby jjjtam76@gmail.com » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:19 pm

Budget is around 10k for rifle.
I was thinking Barnard action, MPA chassis, NF BEAST scope,
Not sure on barrel brand but 1 in 11 28 inches chambered for 308.

Rich4

#5 Postby Rich4 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:33 am

jjjtam76@gmail.com wrote:Budget is around 10k for rifle.
I was thinking Barnard action, MPA chassis, NF BEAST scope,
Not sure on barrel brand but 1 in 11 28 inches chambered for 308.

Can’t go wrong with a Barnard, the beast may be a little porky for fstd 11 ounces (heavier than a comp) is a bit to lose from your barrel, as a barnard+chassis will be heavy too, depends if you want to shoot just fstd or try everything :D

Lachlan

#6 Postby Lachlan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:41 am

Why do you want a Beast? 25x zoom and 1500000 Moa travel arent what you need in F class haha. As said above, they’re on the heavy side as well.

argh

#7 Postby argh » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:02 am

If you have that budget, then you can get realistically whatever you want built around a Barnard.
My recommendation based on what you will see around the mound at the pointy end of comps.
Go a timber laminate stock over a chassis. Timber seems to damped vibrations and would appear to be far easier to tune. You dont see Too many chassis stocks in fclass (some but timber and glass's are 90%). Aussie made timber laminate stocks are reasonably priced.
Go with a 30" barrel. You want to maximise your velocity with the 155gr pills. And try to get to 3,000 fps for the longer ranges. Also, look at a HV Barrel taper and add a tuner.
Lastly, the scopes being used an the mound, for good reason, are the March 10-60, 5-50 and 8-80x, nightforce comp and nighforce BR, vortex golden eagle, sightron 10-50. I think there is a S&B as well that gets a little use. Nightforce Comp seems to be one of the most popular. You will want the 50x MAG believe me. And you will appreciate using MOA adjustments as it relates to our targets, wind calls, wind flags, and there's no constant conversion from MOA to MIL. Stay away from Xmas tree reticle, they just confuse. Most are using dots, or simple hash marks on cross hairs

The best way to spend your money however is on range time and reloading consistency. . A fair rifle with a good load driven by a good shooter who has learnt to read the conditions will win out over a perfect rifle that the owner hasn't yet learnt to drive it.

Good luck, it's a fun sport, and totally rewarding when you put the time in to learn.

Adrian

jjjtam76@gmail.com

#8 Postby jjjtam76@gmail.com » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:16 am

Thanks for the help fellas. As I am new I do appreciate all input.

jjjtam76@gmail.com

#9 Postby jjjtam76@gmail.com » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:15 pm

Truflite barrel okay?

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”