Something Needs to be Done

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

Norm

#91 Postby Norm » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:28 pm

bsouthernau wrote:Field class is shot standing at 100 and sitting at 200 so unless you're considering a local variant of the course of fire (and I'm not saying you shouldn't) we don't really even need the mounds - just a willingness to try something different.

The local SSAA branch has just received approal to reopen the Buchan range. Once they get used to it maybe we could throw down the gauntlet and challenge them to a social match on a saturday morning with an invitation to stay on for the afternoon shoot.

Barry

There is also HUNTER CLASS, this is shot off a rest at 100 and 200 yards for score. The target is a mini version of standard ring target.
The shoot is conducted using standard weight scoped rifles off bipods or rests.
I have plans to get some of these targets and have a club shoot using them at 300 yards as an optional side event to our normal club 300 yard shoot.
This would be to add a bit of extra shooting and interest when shooting at this distance for those that decide to participate.

Razer

#92 Postby Razer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Below is the text from a flyer that was sent out from our club in 2008.
G&V was initiated to attract shooters, in particular hunters who needed to load test, or zero their rifles, those who needed a bit of trigger time,etc.
This was supported by Game Council who also sponsored a day by offering freebies. I also addressed one of the areas biggest hunt clubs AGM's who also were supportive, as were SSAA.
A flyer, A4 in size and well coloured was also on display at the local gun-shop as well as in the Game Council office.
A week prior to each G&V day I would send out receipted email reminders to our club members (who unselfishly gave there time as markers and RO's), Game Council, SSAA, and the hunt club so that they would inform/remind their members.
There were write ups and photos on the club website, on the Game Council website, and, in their magazine, etc.
There was even a special day fitted in just prior to the opening of the deer season.
We were not only hoping to attract some new members but to also utilise the range more.
Most number of shooters on any day was 6. Sometimes we would sit at the range gate waiting to see who turned up and after get zilch response we would go home and return in the afternoon for the club shoot.
All that attended gained in a positive way, from finding that a scope was RS, that their zero was not on A4 at 100 yds, :shock: to learning that different brands of ammunition and different projectile weights didn't shoot into the same hole. :roll:
This program was reluctantly closed in late 2011, but not before attempting several ways to make it viable, such as shooters notifying me if they would attend(putting the onus on them to attend or the program would fold :( )
There are a lot of firearm owners who are not really shooters, they buy a rifle for all the wrong reasons and are just a statistic.
With over 450 registered firearms owners in the district we should have been over-run, even if you allow for 50% shotgun and pistol shooters.
If the interest is not there then it is nigh impossible to create it. I was personally disappointed as all the feed back that was gained prior to implementation was so positive.

ORANGE RIFLE CLUB GAME & VARMINT PROGRAM

Activities will commence 9.30am on 27th September,2008.
Thereafter the 4th Saturday in October,(25th) and November,(22nd).
December would be 27th which at this stage is too close to Xmas so is a miss unless we can fit it in on another Saturday.
We have not programmed for 2009 as we do not have dates of other clubs prize or championship shoots yet.
We will have a variety of targets available,i.e: load development, mini Palma, groups, etc. These will be printed to scale on A4 sheets,
The shooter can select what he/she would like, then write their name on it/them. The target will be attached to the centre of the main target frame and each shooter will be given their selected target[s] back after shooting, to either skite or commiserate over it.
Range safety rules will be displayed.
You will need to bring your shooters licence and your SSAA or AHI membership card [FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES]
Range fee is $5 to cover cost of consumables.
To get to range go to south end of Cecil Road [over rail bridge] and turn left, range gate will be in sight.
Any enquiries please phone me at **********
Looking forward to your attendance.

10FPAT

#93 Postby 10FPAT » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:25 pm

[quote="Razer"]There are a lot of firearm owners who are not really shooters, they buy a rifle for all the wrong reasons and are just a statistic.
With over 450 registered firearms owners in the district we should have been over-run, even if you allow for 50% shotgun and pistol shooters.
If the interest is not there then it is nigh impossible to create it. I was personally disappointed as all the feed back that was gained prior to implementation was so positive.

Good Post Razer,
The last paragraph really hits the nail on the head if they are not required to do something to maintain the licence as are pistol shooters then it has been my experience that is very hard to get the Non Competitive shooters interested. I helped run the last few IPSC rifle matches we held here in SA prior to 1996 with Semi Autos and the most we got to the last couple of State Titles was around 16 - 18 shooters (but at the buy back there 1000's of rifles handed in)

Now I don't want to see minimum shoots applied to A & B class firearms but if it did ever happen then thats the only time you would see very healthy range attendances.

What the Non Competitive shooters do want is a facility that they an use to try thier loads, zero their rifles & get some pre field practice, someting that SSAA provides and I think NRA ranges could as well with the possablity of catching some new members.

10FPAT

Barry Davies

#94 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:02 am

Lot of good suggestions but the real question is still being avoided.
Why do people not want to engage in our disciplines?
Until you have answers to this question you'r chasing fairies.
Barry

bruce moulds

#95 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 am

well said barry.
we do not want to hasten our demise by having other disciplines kick us off our ranges.
sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.
at the moment we enjoy certain luxuries, like being able to test ammo on our ranges sat morning and sunday etc. ranges in full use would ruin this.
marketing current rulebook disciplines is the way to go. especially those that can happen on the range at the same time.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

DannyS

#96 Postby DannyS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:21 am

Barry, from what I have noticed over the years of trying to attract new members, we supposedly have a lot of crack shot hunters that can bowl over a fox at 500 yards. They come out to the range at 300 yards and think its a long way, they then start shooting and you have to think, gee, that was one very unlucky fox.

If you have a miss when out hunting no one knows but on the range your ego is at stake, I think that is frightening to a lot of people. Novice shooters usually don't have a preconceived opinion as to their abilities. We had a young lady shoot with us last week, she was coached to a 48 & 54, she was rapped, coming back this week.

Cheers
Danny

DaveMc

#97 Postby DaveMc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:26 am

On Field Class I think one of the clubs (Grafton or Murwillumbah) actually did have a write up in the ATR (1 or 2 issues ago).
This is not an overnight fix and takes time and effort. Razers experience is the likely outcome and we have been discussing this at our club over last few months. What we need is to find a core group of 5 or 6 keen field class shooters that will carry on the administration and running of the event. Unfortunately these are rare and a handful of guys here run both the SSAA and NRAA clubs. They are not interested in doing a 3rd time slot.

The first hurdle will be the highest but then it should get its own steam up and get going - 300yd/m prone Field class is really close to a beginners F class (with bigger targets but scored similarly) and simply walking the line at one of these events you will find those that are likely candidates for coercing over.

bsouthernau

#98 Postby bsouthernau » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:58 am

DaveMc wrote: 300yd/m prone Field class is really close to a beginners F class

Not quite - you have to hold and point the rifle. It's more closely aligned to Optical Class. I've always felt it a great pity that never got off the ground but if people don't want to shoot it so be it.

Barry

DaveMc

#99 Postby DaveMc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:06 am

Barry Davies wrote:Lot of good suggestions but the real question is still being avoided.
Why do people not want to engage in our disciplines?
Until you have answers to this question you'r chasing fairies.
Barry

Yes very good question Barry - I will relay my "hurdles" when stepping into F class as I believe they are common and hold a lot of people back. I had been shooting for a long time with essentially very accurate rifles but these rifles were all factory and geared to <300 yard shooting. I know a lot of people out there like this. Before starting in the sport it is common to choose something very fast and flat - off the shelf (e.g. 22-250 or 243 or for shorter range 222/3 with slower twists). I wanted to try club competition but nothing really catered for me. Sure you could turn up to a Benchrest day but you didn't quite fit in there either. Eventually I plucked up the courage and turned up to the range at 300m - knowing full well I would get belted if the wind picked up. Luckily I was met by a very welcoming club with great mentors and a friendly attitude (and a calm day - high scores) and was hooked on day 1. That day 1 could have gone so much differently.

I believe this is essentially the issue facing a very large number of potential F classers. F class wasn't really designed for the type of rifles you have in the cupboard - Field class is!

I would also like to point out how important it is to welcome new members, even if they don't have the right gear and make them feel very comfortable (bragging can also be a sign of nerves! :D )

DaveMc

#100 Postby DaveMc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 am

bsouthernau wrote:
DaveMc wrote: 300yd/m prone Field class is really close to a beginners F class

Not quite - you have to hold and point the rifle. It's more closely aligned to Optical Class. I've always felt it a great pity that never got off the ground but if people don't want to shoot it so be it.

Barry

Sorry - you are right I was reading the rules of rimfire -which does allow supports, bipods etc.

But it wouldn't be hard to have a new crossover class or introductory F class catering for these rifles - short range F class (100 and 200m) on targets similar to the smallbore such that no marking or patching required. - could be run in conjunction with a field class day whilst set up at the short range mounds -on a target to the side?? Half a dozen cards can be put on each target sheet of corflute (and you don't hammer the centre!).

Well thought out progression and lots of encouragement (and high scores - so reasonable targets) will help bring a lot of people over.
Last edited by DaveMc on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barry Davies

#101 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:17 am

G'day Dave,
The question I asked has many answers -- your post gave several --
vis

" Luckily I was met by a very welcoming club-- "

" F Class was'nt designed for the type of rifles one has in the cupboard--"

" eventually I plucked up the courage---"

C/mon people there are plenty more reasons out there. Be like Dave and face up to what is really our problems, then you might come up with some real answers --in less than 7 pages.
Barry

johnk

#102 Postby johnk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:36 am

There's no quick fix.

On another forum recently discussing a similar issue to this, one contributor without his head out of the sand states that the issue was deciding whether a sport/discipline warrants the expenditure of the necessary time & money, not whether you have the time & money, but whether you will restructure you life & budget to make the commitment.

We need to find those people resourced to commit time & money to learning the sport, and obviously, they're generally not in their teens, twenties or thirties. The person likely to take up a sport that doesn't require a high degree of physical condition & conditioning is the pre retiree & retiree.

QRA's take on this has been to make the discipline visible in a number of ways, all of which involve cost (time & money).

Visitors to Belmont would have seen the electronic sign on Old Cleveland road that is used to promote events & the flags that are left flying 24/7 on Duncan range - both of which are designed to identify us as a sporting venue.

During the Queens, our contracted publicist, Gordon Collie, seeks out local & interstate notables & shooters of interest & distrubutes pictures & articles to suburban & regional newspapers. At other times, he visits regions for the same purpose.

We contract video footage of the event, the Queens winner & other newsworthy matter & have that edited into media grabs that are distributed through one of the state TV channels gratis for their on distribution.

Our councillor responsible for promotion has an arrangement with one of the daily talkback radio stations.

I understand that approval is underway for a marketing strategy to be developed by an suitably qualified company.

Finally, we have the Come And Try Target Shooting program whereby a number of well qualified senior shooters introduce potential shooters to the sport, first via familiarisation with the equipment & techniques at 100 yards midweek & subsequently beside regular clubs. This program is advertised by flyers , on the e board & through the website.

This level of commitment if time & money by QRA & QRA members on Belmont to realise to date, around 30 committed club members.

John Kielly

DannyS

#103 Postby DannyS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:20 am

Dave, you have made some very good points and Barry re your question, 7 pages of ideas, no answer.

1. The VRA website needs updating, it needs to get people interested and keep them interested.

2. We need a publicity campaign, we have to get the message out as to what we are all about. Firearm dealers need to know what sort of equipment F Class shooters use.

3. We need to change our attitudes, not be so judgemental.

4. We need to get a class going for sporting rifles.

5. We need to be very welcoming to visitors and we need to be a bit professional.

6. Clubs need to look at their facilities. They need to be neat and clean. Check out a few golf clubs etc.

7. And at the end of the day its got to be good fun.

cheers
Danny

OuttaAmmo

#104 Postby OuttaAmmo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:37 am

That pretty much sums it up Danny.
Especially point 5 and 3.

Barry Davies

#105 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:06 am

#6 in Danny's post - most important.
Some of the clubs we have been to offer facilities that are nothing less than disgusting and are throwbacks to medieval times.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”