West OZ Queen’s

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

RAVEN

Re: West OZ Queen’s

#16 Postby RAVEN » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:23 pm

Yep you are correct Alan it's fried :shock:

Interesting event from what I have been told

It’s disappointing that the WARA haven’t adopted the squadding system that has been working well nationally
the fact that the F-Class discipline have a very small margin of error random squadding can have a big influence on outcomes when the competition can be so close.
the Kongsberg target system not registering a shot and how that is dealt with seems to require more work by the WARA
With all that said
Congratulations to Albert some fine marksmanship there =D> in a great field of FO shooters
Also FTR Jason M (I think ??) =D>
Can’t remember the FS winners but I know there a very good FS marksmen west of the boarder =D> =D>
JC another convincing win in TR James’ wins over the years would be very hard to match on my limited knowledge of TR history =D> =D> =D>

RB :)

williada

#17 Postby williada » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Superb Albert. I'm home now.

Tim N

#18 Postby Tim N » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:28 pm

Well done to all winners
I notice Jason Mayers has a V near his score, too young to be a veteran so must be vegan?
It’s a brave new world we’re living in 8)
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

AlanF

#19 Postby AlanF » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:20 pm

Just managed to get a brief glimpse of the NRAA results page (still bogged down a bit) and copied the F-Class Queens aggs into a pdf :
WARAQueensFClass.pdf

Its rare for F-Open to drop less points than TR. Albert only dropped 2 c.f. the great JC dropped 6! And F-Class mostly shot longer ranges. Remarkable performance! And looks like Seb manufacturer and Australian agent had a mortgage on F/TR, well done Jason and Seb! And very close in F-Std, with a first Queens win to Greg Sweetman. Congrats to all =D> =D> =D> .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GSells

#20 Postby GSells » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:38 pm

Back home safe now . Well Pinjar is a beautiful range and Perth is just full of Beautiful, decent and kind People! I want to thank all of the dedicated Wara Members who gave up the Holiday time to put on a great event . Thanks to the MDRA President for loaning me his Cart . And to Wayne and the 2 Daves and other volunteers for Great Ro and Range Fairying . They were on the range way before us shooters were and I was there 6:45 am . You all should be proud of the rifle range that you have !

Now the hardest rifle range award !!!! Ok this is purely my opinion and that how it should be taken !
So of the rifle ranges that I have shot on so far in my career is ..... Drum roll !!!
1 . trentham NZ
2. Pinjar WA ( well done Pinjar )
3. Belmont when she’s cranky !!
4. Bendigo
5.Dalby / Tara
6. Muckadilla
( Short Range category up to 600 yds )
7. Definitely Northarm!!
8. Crowsnest 600 yds shooting across a valley!
9. When she wants to be , Warwick .

And I’m sure there are plenty more !

Ok with Pinjar it’s very much a mirage range that also relies on the flags that sometimes tell the truth . I’ve never seen 3 lots of mirage scissor against each other . The only way to see it was through a backed focus spotting scope . As if you just relied on the target mirage and the mirage as Mr Waites was talking about was not stable about 2-300 m in front of the targets. Eg was usually going right to left and then it would boil . Then the target mirage that everyone saw through their scope would lie to you .
I have never seen it I didn’t understand what I was seeing till the 1 st 900 m stage , where I nearly jagged a 60! I wish I could have a play around at 900 and 600 yds . When I cracked the condition on very rare occasions , it was a lot of fun ! At times I had zero wind on when the flags were saying 2.5 minutes correction , because of that unseen mirage . A spotting scope backed focused is a must . However Albert and others provesd it can be done without one .
And what about my Former team mate !! Albert was pretty much walking on water !! Was just a sweet sight to see !! Just plain WOW !

I hope I can make it again some day . Perth itself was just beautiful place with all of its natural beauty and turquoise Indian Ocean!
I’ll freely admit that Pinjar beat me up pretty good . But it’s usually a few days after that I realise that, “Hey I really enjoyed the difficulty!”

Best of all was all of the Mate ship and gasbagging that was going on . Judging on the amount of talking and laughing going around during the Queens , one would have to call it a Success!
Well Done WARA ! =D>
Ps , I’m sure lower light would be no 2 or take the Crown . But I’m yet to shoot there. Also if you do go to Pinjar, make sure you have a cart .
Last edited by GSells on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Barossa_222

#21 Postby Barossa_222 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:43 am

There really were too many good shooters there not to squad. That was the only complaint I heard along with changing/moving the shooting order and the decision to roll through and then waiting on the last range. Some consistency would have been nice. The windows of opportunity were small, but that takes nothing away from the winners. One of the most difficult and punishing ranges in Australia, I saw some of the best carved up. When the WA boys are all saying no one shoots there because you get up and want to throw your rifle in the bin, speaks volumes for the conditions there.

Brad Y

#22 Postby Brad Y » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:10 pm

Not that we don’t want to shoot there, but yes the part about throwing gear in the bin is not far off the truth. Can be a brutal sort of a place. It sure is a flash facility and it’s awesome to hear so many people stoked in their impressions-conditions aside of course haha!

Was great to see everyone I have become friends with over the years again and meet more people again this time. Yeah I’ve heard of a few negatives but I hope most enjoyed themselves and will come back again.

BATattack

#23 Postby BATattack » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:17 am

A very interesting and challenging event rite from the teams through to the finish of the queens.

Winds were not overly strong but because of the trees on either side and the size of the mounds it ment you needed to look for different indicators depending on the wind direction / angle. Those that adapted the quickest ended up on a top.

Some mentioned sqadding. I don't think at THIS event it would have changed the result a huge amount. Coditions didn't gradually come and go. Due to the number of flags and the turbulence of obstructions mound position rather than time was probably more critical to score.

Albert put in an exceptional effort. To drop 2 points in those conditions is a big achievement. Most would struggle to hold MOA just due to the aiming error of the mirage let alone tune a rifle and read wind to shoot possibles.

There was plenty of banter and BS in the FTR crowd. Jason picked through the conditions very well both coaching the teams and in the individuals to get a win. Knowing when to wait and when to run got the chocolates.

This was my second event in FTR and I had some mixed results. Some ranges gun was shooting flat and I couldn't pick the conditions and other ranges I had a bit better handle on the wind but couldn't hold vert. It was MUCH hotter on the mound than I was expecting.so not sure if my gun got out of tune, It was something I was doing or I just got PINJAR'd!! More practice and testing required!

Return to “Events”