F-Open Blog from Bendigo

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

F-Open Blog from Bendigo

#1 Postby AlanF » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Evening all. Just a few notes from the coalface. Weather has been great - coolish at night, sunny and mild during the day. As you can see from today's results, Paul Janzso had a very good day and only dropped one shot. I am keeping an eye on things from the other end of the field. Numbers are not good, but there should be at least 10 or 11 in the Queens if those who say they're coming show up.

Calibres : Paul Janzso 300WSM, Bill Siegloff ?, Rod Mahon 6 Dasher, 6.5-284, Jason Trotter 6BR, 6.5-284, Alan Fraser 6 Dasher, 6.5-284.

Looks like the weather will be similar tomorrow. I'll report again tomorrow night, hopefully earlier.

Alan

Matt P

#2 Postby Matt P » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Alan
Sorry to see the poor turn out, how has the 60.10 been accepted by the ones that have turned up ??? Are you squaded together or with everyone else ???

Matt P

RDavies

#3 Postby RDavies » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Going by the scores across the board on day2 of the lead up, I would say the weather was not so perfect. Looks like Paul Jazo is the man to nobble, oops, I mean beat.

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:37 pm

That's the Syme run and won - see results HERE. Well done to Paul Janszo =D> - he certainly has that 300WSM humming. Weather was great again today - but winds were tricky, and the ICFRA targets are probably the main reason for the lower than normal scores. This makes the Tassie Queens scores (also on ICFRA) look very good. In F-std, Bob Pedersen had what he described as a bad day, but no-one else capitalised, and he still won the agg. Unlike in Tassie, F-Open scores were reasonably good by comparison with F-Std - I hope I can still say that after the Queens.

Matt,

F-Open were squadded across the mound as F-Std is. It was my first experience in this situation at a Queens. I can see that over time, it will improve the acceptance of our category with TR, but it won't happen overnight. Some-one told me the other day that F-Open shooters are generally regarded as "a bit up themselves". I think mixed squadding will allow us to show them that we are long-range shooters like everyone else - we just use different gear. One thing I think we'll lose is the ability to look after new F-Open shooters at Queens. We have young Jason Trotter here, and normally I would've been able to have a chat and give some pointers etc, but that just hasn't happened because he's on another board somewhere. Anyway, I'll try to gather some opinions during the Queens and get back on this subject, perhaps on another thread.

Alan

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:02 pm

Day 1 Queens results are HERE. Rod Mahon had a magnificent day dropping just 1 shot and bagging 20 Super Vs! =D> .

As you can see we have 12 F-Open shooters which is pretty good - we have two interstaters (Paul Janzso and Bob Eager) and the best turnout of Vic shooters for years.

I can add some calibres: Rod Dolman 284Win, Cheryle Dolman 6 Dasher, Gary Hunt 6BR, Dasher and 6.5-284, Michael Waites 6 BRX. Michael didn't actually use the BRX at 300 though. He decided to lock it along with his car keys, in the boot of the Holden, then was very kindly offered the loan of Rod Dolman's 284Win, and proceeded to get a 60 possible! So Rod needs to be congratulated for his generosity, and Mike for his adaptibility!

I am a little sad to say this, but one of the casualties of the mixed squadding for F-Open could be these reports I do :cry: . Because we are spread out across the mound, it is harder to keep track of the open shooters, and pick up the gossip. I can understand why no-one in F-Std has made the effort to do anything similar. Anyway, I'll stick with it for now, but it may become a little irrelevant as things change.

Back tomorrow night.

Alan

RAVEN

#6 Postby RAVEN » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:32 pm

You can be assured Alan that in SA QUEENS f-class will be squadded together!
The Queens is not a venue to get to know FB shooters or have a greater understanding of each others discipline leave that to club shoots and OPM's
Its about the event experience for those that are new commers and ppl that travel to these distant venues.

BTW good luck to all

RB:)

bruce moulds

#7 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:50 am

i must be a bit bent.
i like it both ways.
bruce moulds

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Not a lot to report tonight. Progressive agg scores are HERE. Notable efforts were Rod Dolman's 60 at the first 600, Jason Trotter's 59 at 900 and Paul Janzso's relentless effort to get to a 3 shot lead over Rod Mahon and myself. If Paul has his share of luck he'll be pretty tough to peg back tomorrow, but there's still a few of us who haven't given up the chase. Hopefully we'll have a close finish as it was last year.

I may not get time to post tomorrow (long drive home), but results are getting promptly onto the VRA website, and I'll do my washup on Monday.

Catch you then.

Alan

Matt P

#9 Postby Matt P » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:49 pm

Alan
If there where 30 open shooters (which would be great) you wouldn't all be together, what would you rather ??? :mrgreen:
What pills is Paul using in his cannon ??? I don't know how he does it, the recoil would kill me.

Matt P

10FPAT

#10 Postby 10FPAT » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Matt,
I shoot with Paul & he was testing 190's before he went & presume thats what he ended up using.

Recoil is not an issue I have lifted that rilfe into my car a few times & nearly had a hernia.....

RDavies

#11 Postby RDavies » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:07 pm

Matt, my favourite shoots were the one where there were two or more targets of F open shooters (North QLD OPMs, Hilltop, Belmont). We usualy ended up squadded next to each other so there was always plenty of opportunity for stiring the other shooters on the target next to you.
I gotta agree on the recoil thing though, someone better tell Paul he,s doing it wrong, give me a 6mm anyday

Good luck to the shooters in the final day. It would be good if it was a 3 way shoot off for the win like it was last year. (or 4 way if you include the last day agg)

RAVEN

#12 Postby RAVEN » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:33 pm

Congratulations Alan,BruceK =D> =D>
you sure own bendigo Alan 08/09/10

Well done Paul J Grand Agg Winner 2010 =D> very close on the Queens result =D>

And congratulations to all the other compeditors =D> =D>

Alan the local turn out was good I thought.
Cheers
RB

Matt P

#13 Postby Matt P » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:27 pm

Congrats to Alan and Bruce \:D/
What I find interesting is the scores in both classes at the top very similar, makes you wonder how much advantage the big BC calibers really have ???

Matt P

RDavies

#14 Postby RDavies » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Congrats to Alan, the old dog pulled through in the end hey. It was close in the finish, but whoa Rod M what happened at 1000????
Bruce, Jeeze, you sure had a lead, done well.

AlanF

#15 Postby AlanF » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:02 am

Time for the Monday washup. Final Queens scores are HERE. Thanks for the congrats. Its been little while between drinks for me and I was beginning to wonder if my time had been and gone. I had to shoot very well with zero stuff-ups to win - it was no walk in the park I can tell you - the general standard in Open was very high.

Coming into the last day, Paul Janzso had a 3 point margin over Rod Mahon and I, but he dropped 4 at 900 with Rod and I only dropping 1, so we were all the same on points going into the last range - quite a tense situation. I was 3rd down on my target and got a 59. Because my Super V count was lower, either of the others would beat me with a 58. After enjoying being in the first 2 down at 900, Rod and Paul were last and 2nd last on their targets, and I was able to watch both shoots. Rod had a disaster - the worst range he's ever had - just couldn't get in sync with a tricky patch of wind. So that left only Paul with the opportunity to ruin my day, and he almost did. After 8 shots he had 8 sixes, all in a group about 8 o'clock, and he could afford to drop either of his last two shots and still win. His 9th shot came up a 5 out the bottom, and incredibly, the 10th shot was also out the bottom - talk about a cliff-hanger! The last time I shot against Paul was at his home Queens in SA where he got me by 2 points, so I was pleased be able to get one back on my home turf.

We had a bunch of shooters finishing quite close - Rob Eager seemed to improve as the ranges got longer and said he'd learnt a lot about the range and will be back next year. Mike Waites was near the lead until the longs, where it was always going to be tough using a 6mm up against mostly bigger calibres. Jason Trotter was at his first Queens, and while he finished behind most, he wasn't far behind, and his wind-reading improved noticeably over the 5 day event.

So there you have it, Vic Queens 2010. My next mission (which I've decided to accept) is 1500yds at Coonabarabroonacanabran!!!! 8) If my wireless broadband stick works up there, then I hope to post a blog from there too (starts ANZAC day).

Alan

Return to “Events”