F Class Team --Bendigo

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

F Class Team --Bendigo

#1 Postby Guest » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:45 pm

Another first for F Class Standard. Yesterday at Bendigo an F Class team competed against the Vic State FB team.
A couple of weeks ago Geoff Grenfell the Capt of the Vic FB team, asked me to arrange a 12 person F class standard team for a match against his team over the Merrett ranges of 3,6,9, and 1000yd.
I thought ,where the hell am I going to get 12 FS shooters, Well, they came from everywhere as keen as one can be. We had shooters from as far away as Albury in the North to Cowes ( Phillip Island ) in the South and most places in between.
Shooting was over 3,6,9,& 1000yd, 10 shots each and coached. Scoring was as for FB --central =V ( not 6 )
As was expected the FS team registered best score, but the margin was not as much as one would expect. The largest difference was in the central count, being 64 difference in favour of FS, which was to be
expected.The conditions were almost perfect with around 4.5 points on at 1000yd but dropping to 1.5 quickly.
FS team scores were--
Geoff Auhl 199.27, Tom Lowndes 199.26, John Eland 199.25,Adam Davies199.24, Max Groves 199.23 ( .556 ) Tom Holinger 198.25, Rod Mahon 198.21 ( .556 ) incl a 50.9 at 1000yd, Peter Marum198.18, Gary Hunt 197.27, Graeme Eales 196.20, Clint Mahon 195.17, Bill kneebone 194.12 ( .556)
Interesting to note that when you score the V as 6, with the exception of one shooter, placings do not change dramatically.
The Photograph above shows most of the rifles that were used, and as can be seen there are no "unconventional " shapes amongst them. They are all ex FB rifles with scopes added. The heaviest rifle is the one facing opposite to the others, and weighs 6.9 kg with scope, and 8.9 kg with bipod. Nothing strange about the bipods, all pretty much the same. Only 2 rifles were shot off benchrests, those of Tom Holinger and Bill Kneebone.
Tom also shot from a table.
Note that no score of 200 was recorded, and two only 50.10
's were shot, both at 300yd ( G Auhl and G hunt ) Shoot off's would not have been required at any of the other ranges.
Sort of says that the target we have at present is satisfactory.
All in all an excellent days shooting. didn't hear any complaints from anyone about someone elses rifle being heavier than theirs, or those using benchrests had an advantage.
I saw yesterday as a possible prelude to FS state teams, we can only hope.

Barry Davies

Return to “Events”