Tassie Queens

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Tassie Queens

#1 Postby AlanF » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Any other Australians (sorry mainlanders :) ) venturing over to Campbelltown this year? I was hoping to include the "World 1500 yard Championship" in my itinerary but they brought the date forward, so will just be there for the leadup and Queens.

Steve T

Re: Tassie Queens

#2 Postby Steve T » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:03 pm

I am a shooter living in Tasmania and have participated in past Queens shoots here and we have had many shooters coming from the mainland (Australia, Alan (How do I add the smiley face)) to Tassie for our Queens. This year the numbers coming, if Alan's poll is truly representative, will be very, (possibly extremely), disappointing and I would be very interested to know why and others might/should also be interested in why.
Some of the reasons that may be causing this non-participation might be; Ammunition carry rules by TT-Line, the TRA Program, Cost of travel, Firearms regulations in Tassie, No major National competitions, Don't like the people, Electronic target issues, Don't like the wind & weather conditions at Campbell Town, any other reasons??? - please don't say all of the above.
I am not part of the TRA management, just a Club shooter who gets concerned when participation by local & mainland competitors in Tassie events falls off. We all have enough difficulties in dealing with all the forces that are trying to "kill off" our sport and many of those are "long haul" issues that will take a long time to resolve (e.g. election cycles), so when we have issues, "inside our own tent" as the pollies put it, then I would be interested in knowing what those issues are.
I do not know whether Alan's poll could indicate non-attendees anonymously, just giving the reason for not coming in the comments column. I feel if we had this info we might be able to address them either internally in the TRA membership or with relevant Government organisations who are be affected, e.g. Tourism.
Anyone prepared to help with this info?

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Steve,

I wouldn't read too much into our responses on this website. This site is not used as widely as the membership numbers suggest. And many people just like to read things but don't post. So I wouldn't ring any alarm bells yet. However if attendance does turn out to be disappointing, I believe the main effort to improve things needs to come from the local (Campbell Town) population, possibly with help from local and state government, because some shooters will take the opportunity to stay longer and travel further. Many local businesses must get increased patronage from the Queens and Match Rifle championship visitors, and would possibly be prepared to help improve attendances, both from the mainland and from Tassie.

See you in March.

Alan

terry sheedy

#4 Postby terry sheedy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:43 pm

There will be 3 from the townsville club tr, std f, open f.

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:51 am

Leadup has started, first range almost completed. Using Silver Mountain ETs. Daniel Chisolm (manufacturer from Canada) is here to help. Was dead calm earlier, but starting to get tricky now. The locals say its been their windiest Summer in memory, so things could get interesting at the longs over the next few days.

I'll post again tonight with results if it doesn't make the NRAA website.

Steve N

#6 Postby Steve N » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Looks like the good conditions didn't last long. Congratulations on your win in the Lead Up Alan.

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks Steve. Things did get tricky yesterday afternoon. I was aiming off between targets in the 1000. We had two 500s this morning, conditions mostly good, and are in the first 600 now, more challenging with wind fluctuating between very light up to medium strong and direction changes. Looks like it will stay like this for the rest of the day. Most shooters prefer when th wind gets up, easier to read.

Looks like there will be nightly updates (very late) to the NRAA Results (thanks Bob and Colleen).

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:16 am

Looks like there will be rain today. Light rain falling now and both the forecast and the RADAR suggest it'll get heavier. Not sure how the silver Mountain system will hold up. There have not been any serious problems so far so fingers crossed.

Daniel Chisholm

#9 Postby Daniel Chisholm » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:21 pm

The e-targets don't have problems in the rain but I find that I get wet and I don't like that. Fortunately​the rain stopped about 30-45mins before we were due to start shooting and we've been dry all day, with nice skies now as we are almost finished the final match of the day (2nd 800).

This is my first time in Australia, next time I'm bringing a rifle for sure. Campbell Town looks like a really challenging and fun range to shoot on.

ajvanwyk

#10 Postby ajvanwyk » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Congratulations Alan for taking out the F Open title!!
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

Norm

#11 Postby Norm » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:05 pm

Well done Alan

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:32 am

Thanks fellas. I had to rely on consistency more than anything. The Tasmanians are getting better every year. And congrats also to F-Std winner Bob Ped, who is pretty much the benchmark at that meeting, and to Dennis Formiatti in F/TR.

I have to say I was surprised that the TRA went with networked Silver Mountain targets for their Queens, but thanks to good management and the attendance of both the manufacturer and Australian agent, (Daniel Chisolm and Aubrey Sonnenberg respectively), they went well. Probably the only thing I'd like to see improved is the readability of screens in the sun. For older eyes it can be a struggle. I understand there are very few suitable and affordable devices available.

So its back home now for our own OPM at Rosedale, a similar range to Campbell Town actually, so looking forward to it.

Steve T

#13 Postby Steve T » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:57 am

Thank you to all the mainland competitors for attending the Tassie Queens.
We know that our Tassie QPM is a bigger planning, financial and time undertaking than driving over over a mainland border to participate in another State QPM, so we appreciate the effort that you put in to support our QPM.

The weather was good, and if you like to shoot in overcast/changing light conditions with light/fluffy/changeable wind then you had a great shoot. We even managed to not rain and soak everyone's gear for the trip home.

As Alan described, the networked Silver Mountain E-Targets worked well and the shooters managed to test the features of the systems - shots on wrong targets, misses of the target board completely, almost subsonic terminal velocities, and inexperienced screen/tablet operators - all added to the "rich tapestry" of the 2017 Tassie QPM.
My biggest surprise (I am a E-Target virgin) was the Silver Mountains Systems ability to display on the screens a complete target miss - if you "shrunk down" the display on the screen so the outer perimeter of the target was visible, the systems displayed an indication of where that missed shot went. This knowledge was gained through my own experience - first sighter missed the target - do I now go to the sighting-in manual target to get on paper? No - they shrink the display, see your miss, wind down 10 points and I was in the black, so my first sighter was not wasted.
Those of us that had our own better/brighter/larger (usually more expensive) tablets and smart phones were able to have brighter settings on our screens and that made the readability much more comfortable in sunny conditions. Brighter screens use more power so having a "battery bank" on your tablet/phone available made up for the extra power usage to see you through for a days use.

So my pessimism before the Queens was totally unfounded due to support of all the competitors, with a special thanks to the travelling Mainlanders and the young men of the Scotts College School team.
Hope to see you again next year.
Best regards Stephen.

bartman007

#14 Postby bartman007 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:13 am

Well done to those that attended Campbell Town this year. ET's are looking to be the target of choice for Queens events now.

Congrats to all the winners =D> =D> =D>

Great to see Peter Maher won TR. He seems to do well at the Longs (50.8 @900 and 50.7@1000 is crazy) =D>

Well done to the other Vic's including our own Alan.F in F Open. Another win to add to the list!
###

bsouthernau

#15 Postby bsouthernau » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:15 am

Peter's a MR shooter - 1000 is the SHORT range.

Return to “Events”