Victorian DRA teams

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Barry Davies

Re: Victorian DRA teams

#16 Postby Barry Davies » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:51 am

sungazer wrote:Looking at the VRA site it seems as that was done back in 2015. The travel for a team to travel interstate I think would put a few off. We had shooting members in our team that are well over 80. It required some effort just to get them to Bendigo.

MIke was talking about the individual champions not the teams.

Have to agree with the rest of your post though.
Barry

johnk

#17 Postby johnk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 am

Like fish kept in ponds released into the wild swim in little darts looking for the wall, some Mexicans take learning before they can manage to drive more than a few hours. :lol:

bartman007

#18 Postby bartman007 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:35 am

That's the part I don't like. Don't have a problem with DRA's still conducting their own Championship. It's who goes on to Bendigo I have a problem with. I believe that ALL CLUB champions should have the opportunity to compete at State level.

As a Club Champion that lost at District level, I am more than happy with Norm Nelson representing my DRA against the other DRA Champions. I don't think it is fair on Norm if I had the chance for a second go at him by competing in Bendigo, where he may not have the range experience that I have. The good thing about the DRA preselection, is that it gives the local shooter a real chance to beat other local shooters on ranges that they are more familiar on.

If Norm was not available to go to Bendigo, then I would consider that the runner up could be a viable contender, and it would serve to maintain numbers in Bendigo.

My preference would be to ask the VRA to allow the runner up to compete, if the champion was not available for well defined reasons. Not wanting to attend would not be one of them, and may need to be addressed within the DRA. If they can't afford to go to Bendigo, then maybe the DRA needs to consider subsidising their costs.
###

sungazer

#19 Postby sungazer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:08 pm

I completely agree with what Bartman007 has said. The pre-selection is what gives the event its prestige. If the winner is not able or does not want to go then the runner up or next available person should represent the DRA. As the VRA stated "It was good to see all DRA's represented" the next eligible person means the event will remain a viable and meaningful win for the place getters.

Barry Davies

#20 Postby Barry Davies » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:30 pm

Could go along with that if you could get the VRA to change their stance with respect to that.
How about the situation where there is only one representative of a certain discipline in the DRA ?
It means there would be no shoot off in the DRA to determine a champion.
Should that person go thru to Bendigo by default or miss out completely?

johnk

#21 Postby johnk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:56 pm

A good few years back, my Club changed its rules to define the Club Champion as the person with the highest score in the club competition who was available to compete in the DRA championship. :wink: The DRA didn't let us get away with it.

sungazer

#22 Postby sungazer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:27 pm

In regards to one person in a discipline. It is what, it is. They should progress through. If we want to promote the sport in all its discipline's that, We should support all the disciplien's. Especially if it is an internationally recognized one. We want Australia to be part of the global sporting world at the top level.

Take the Jamaican Bob sled team, Eddie the Eagle they were not world beaters but the sport in their countries has grown. They were seen on the world stage.

Should F class be part of the Olympics? There are more F class shooters and clubs than synchronized swimmers. However they are well organized, funded and on the world stage. Shooting sports all under the SSAA perhaps we have the wrong State and National bodies?

AlanF

#23 Postby AlanF » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:28 pm

johnk wrote:A good few years back, my Club changed its rules to define the Club Champion as the person with the highest score in the club competition who was available to compete in the DRA championship. :wink: The DRA didn't let us get away with it.

I have never had it explained why it is so important that anyone other than club champions cannot progress.

Regardless of that, in Vic I don't rate the Ch of Ch particularly highly because it culminates in only a 1 day event. I remember a few years back half the day was washed out and it was run and won with 10 shots each at 300 and 600 yds :roll: . My club championship requires 8 x 10 shot ranges between 300 and 1000yds, which is a much more rigorous test.

This event needs at least a two day comp at State level, plus a National final to give it some prestige. Then you probably wouldn't have to worry about club champions not turning up - they would be there!

Brad Y

#24 Postby Brad Y » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Saw a few results on Facebook- congrats to the winners.

Re: champion of champions- I too feel it is a stale sort of thing and not worth the hype it receives. Maybe in TR it's prestige is more appealing, but as mentioned a good f class championship program is more appealing. I wish our club would implement one too.

DannyS

#25 Postby DannyS » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:46 am

Hi Barry, just my 2 bobs worth. In my opinion, if someone wins their club championship in a particular class but their DRA fails to provide another competitor in that class, then that person should be regarded as the DRA champion and be entitled to shoot at Bendigo.

Also if a DRA champion is unable to attend Bendigo, then VRA permission should be sought to enable the runner up to compete.

I know that is not how it is, but it could be.

Cheers
Danny
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

sungazer

#26 Postby sungazer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:15 am

So you have one person that says there clubs selection is rigorous, which still has to go through a DRA shoot off that doesn't think the best person gets put forward? Another that thinks there club should do a better job of selecting a champion. Certainly the selection process at club level is a matter for the club to deal with? I still see what has been said in those posts as lending weight to the best person and or team from the DRA is there on the day.
I certainly congratulate and respect the winners. They deserve every bit of the Prestige that a State Champion title should mean.

Return to “Events”