6.5 x 284 build

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Old Trev-39

Re: 6.5 x 284 build

#31 Postby Old Trev-39 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:19 pm

My Swede is on a Barnard 98 year of manufacture and no problems with case rim size.
Cheers,
Trevor.

Tim L

#32 Postby Tim L » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:08 pm

Gyro wrote:Nice, thanks. Now do you reckon the brass can be hit hard enough just once with say a full case of Trailboss and a cast lead boolit at fire forming, to 'harden' the brass enough before using fullhouse loads ? I certainly like that system for fireforming as it's fairly cheap and easy and avoids shagging around with say the cream of wheat fill method. I just run an oily bore to avoid leading up the bore.

Yes.
The brass is pretty close to chamber size from the die, its only a case of forming the shoulder properly . Its not like you're stretching a BR into a Dasher.
It''s exactly how I did the majority of my cases ( only using some old Speer projectiles)
Shot from 800m and i doubt they got half way there :lol:

GSells

#33 Postby GSells » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:55 am

bruce moulds wrote:tim,
when the majority of shooters force the governing body to shoot 3 to a target bisley style, and those scores continue i will be more inclined to agree with you.
at the moment, most are even scared of a delay on electronic targets.
bruce.

Challenge accepted! Bring it on !

Rich4

#34 Postby Rich4 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:43 am

:lol: That’s the spirit, full speed ahead damn the torpedoes

AlanF

#35 Postby AlanF » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:02 am

AlanF wrote:Comparing wind reading skills between TR and F-Class shooters is hard to do, because TR shooters have to contend with more challenges in terms of optics and holding steady. They also have lighter rifles, thinner barrels and heavier triggers (than F-Open and F/TR). The major handicap though is shared by F-Std which is ballistics i.e. .308 and 155gn projectiles.

You would expect however, that F-Class shooters generally should find it easier to learn how to read wind because they will benefit from getting more reliable feedback because of the higher precision of their shooting. When a TR shooter gets a wide shot, they are more likely to be unsure about the cause - was it me, was it the wind? etc.

Our range has just closed (again) so having too much time on my hands, I'll modify my simulator to at least see how much TR and F-Std scores should be affected by their ballistic disadvantage, and see how that compares with real world score data. That could be taken further with some estimates of how shooting precision is affected by things like optical sights etc., possibly good enough to support an "informed opinion" on the subject :D .

I've started another thread on this subject HERE.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”