Barnard Trigger Help

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

UL1700

Barnard Trigger Help

#1 Postby UL1700 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi all,

I'm having ongoing issues with the trigger on my Barnard giving occasional slam fires which are not fun. It started with the trigger pull weight getting noticeably heavier (over the course of about a 1000 rounds from the time I fitted a light spring set) then it slam fired. I took it home and on the bench I could make it fire on every bolt closure. I cleaned and reset the trigger and all was well until it did it again about 300 hundred firings later yet time and I couldn't replicate it on the work bench. So cleaned and carried on yet today (about 200 firings on) it did it again on a very gentle closure.

The trigger has a light spring set fitted and a two stage pull. It is set on the light side (120 grams) but on the bench, I can not get it to slam fire and trust me I have tried everything fast, slow rifle pointing in every direction plausible yet every now and then on a gentle bolt closure boom! I have cleaned multiple times and have reset from scratch following Barnards instructions several times yet it still persists.

Any advice greatly appreciated as it is currently stopping me shoot and I have a new Dasher on the way :D

6.5x55ai

Re: Barnard Trigger Help

#2 Postby 6.5x55ai » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Probably not much help but I had one of my Barnards slamfiring. Brought it home and took out of the stock but couldn't fault it. Next time at the range it slamfired again. Found the stock ever so slightly interfering with the trigger. Relieved with Dremel and all good.

One of my other Barnards, with trigger weight a lot heavier than yours, starting giving inconsistant pull weights which also drove me nuts. Took the rifle back to Barnard and they swapped thru 5 triggers b4 they had one that would give consistant weight. First 2 they tried gave consistant weight but slipped over the sear when the bolt was closed with reasonable but not excessive force. Not a great fan of their triggers.

UL1700

#3 Postby UL1700 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:56 pm

This action is used in two stocks and it has now done it in both but I will look anyway. I keep hearing rumors of alternatives (other then the jewel which isn't an option due to fitment) and would happily try if I can get hold of one!!

Matt P

#4 Postby Matt P » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:35 pm

From the Barnard website, I'd say 120 grams is too light.

Barnard Target Trigger's are very adjustable and have 3 available pull weight options dependent on the springs installed.

•Light: Adjustable from 10oz/250grams to 14oz/400grams.
•Standard: Adjustable from 17oz/500grams to 31oz/900grams.
•Heavy: Adjustable from 35oz/1kg to 53oz/1.5kg Plus

UL1700

#5 Postby UL1700 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:49 pm

Matt P wrote:From the Barnard website, I'd say 120 grams is too light.

Barnard Target Trigger's are very adjustable and have 3 available pull weight options dependent on the springs installed.

•Light: Adjustable from 10oz/250grams to 14oz/400grams.
•Standard: Adjustable from 17oz/500grams to 31oz/900grams.
•Heavy: Adjustable from 35oz/1kg to 53oz/1.5kg Plus

Thanks Matt I must have been going blind as a looked on the Barnard sight and couldn't find the info. I love the trigger as it is but I will try moving to the bottom end of the light recommendation and see what happens. I was finding that I needed a fraction more sear engagement then the Barnard instructions implied I should need so this is probably why...

Return to “Equipment & Technical”