7mm SAUM Rechamber/Barrel Life

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Azzopardi

Re: 7mm SAUM Rechamber/Barrel Life

#31 Postby Azzopardi » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:01 pm

Just had a barrel fall of the cliff at 546 rounds. The barrel was 'KG2'ed' prior to the shoot (3 x 10 shot). Up until the 546 round, it held 1/2 of the X ring. It has shot about 12 to 15, 15 shot matches. Balance were 10's. In the end, when I ran a patch down the barrel, it felt like a gravel road.

The attached photos are after 568 rounds. I patched out the barrel with hoppes and cleaned prior to taking the photos.

Photos starting with 'A' are taken from the action end and those starting with 'M' are taken from the muzzle. The number represents the inches from the starting point.

A-1.0.JPG

A-2.5.JPG

A-3.0.JPG

M-0.JPG

M-4.0.JPG

azzo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Azzo

Azzopardi

#32 Postby Azzopardi » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:04 pm

Let me do that again.

A-1.0.JPG

A-3.0.JPG

A-5.0.JPG

M-0.JPG

M-4.0.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Azzo

ajvanwyk

#33 Postby ajvanwyk » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:21 pm

Azzo, I'm no barrel whisperer and maybe other, more experienced opinions will be offered... but to me, there seems to be a lot of copper.... I use KG2 but have found KG12 to be better at removing it all.

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

Azzopardi

#34 Postby Azzopardi » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:16 am

G'day Albert,
Copper, that's seams to be the key indicator. When speaking with 2 other 7mm SAUM users in the Cairns club, they had the same pattern when their barrels let go.

What I noticed was, just before it let go, the groups got better and better, refer to the time line below. On Saturday I notice lots of copper so I completely removed it as well as most of the carbon. On Sunday it shot a 60.4 then fell of the cliff the next range. The 3rd range was not that better. All 10 shot matches. Got it home, patched it out with hoppes and shot the photos above.

Time line in order of left to right:
90.8, 90.10, 90.11, noticed copper 2" to 3" in and at the muzzle, Eliminator & KG2 clean, 60.4, let go.
Regards,
Azzo

BRETT B

#35 Postby BRETT B » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:43 am

Hey Azzo , Hard to tell with photos but looks like a lot of hard carbon underneath that copper in A3 and A5.
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Pommy Chris

#36 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:58 am

That really does look like a lot of copper. Any pics after a pasting?
Chris

Audax

#37 Postby Audax » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:37 am

Looks more like rust pitting to me, particularly noticeable in A-3 & A-5. Pitting will do the same as fire-cracking in respect of copper fouling. The muzzle end has quite a different look.

Water base solvents may be good for the environment, but I suspect they may leave amorphous residues in your barrel.

Azzopardi

#38 Postby Azzopardi » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:23 pm

BRETT B wrote:Hey Azzo , Hard to tell with photos but looks like a lot of hard carbon underneath that copper in A3 and A5.

That’s correct mate. The barrel was clean after the clean, how quickly it built up over 3 x 10 shot ranges.
Regards,
Azzo

Azzopardi

#39 Postby Azzopardi » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:28 pm

Audax wrote:Looks more like rust pitting to me, particularly noticeable in A-3 & A-5. Pitting will do the same as fire-cracking in respect of copper fouling. The muzzle end has quite a different look.

Water base solvents may be good for the environment, but I suspect they may leave amorphous residues in your barrel.

No rust, I’m constantly looking after my barrels due to the humidity in Cairns.
Regards,
Azzo

Azzopardi

#40 Postby Azzopardi » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:33 pm

Pommy Chris wrote:That really does look like a lot of copper. Any pics after a pasting?
Chris

G’day Chris,
None taken prior to the shoot after the pasting and I haven’t JB’ed it yet.
Regards,
Azzo

Azzopardi

#41 Postby Azzopardi » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:36 pm

Oh well, there’s more new barrels in the cupboard ready to go, woohoo. :D :-({|=
Regards,
Azzo

Pommy Chris

#42 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:56 pm

Azzopardi wrote:
Pommy Chris wrote:That really does look like a lot of copper. Any pics after a pasting?
Chris

G’day Chris,

It might be worth pasting it with something like KG, see if you can really clean it up and try it again, you might be lucky and get accuracy back for a bit longer.
I am also curious about 7mm and moly use. Moly seems to extend my 308 barrels life, I cant help wondering if it might extend 7mm barrel life too?
Chris

watrob

#43 Postby watrob » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:44 pm

If that was my barrel, then the first few inches is the start of fire cracking with carbon laid in with copper on top. Would use a hard nylon brush with a piece of 2" square chucks wrapped around the brush coated in JB Red bore paste . Anywhere from 20 to 50 shorts strokes in the first 5" to 7" of the chamber area. The patch out with Bore Tech Copper remover.

With mild fire cracking carbon gets into the hairline cracks with in turn grabs copper, at close to 600 rounds barrel condition is about right but way to much copper in there. Hoppes is fine but try the BoreTech you will be surprised how good it works. To me that looks like a barrel that has not been cleaned and has just shoot 50 to 70 rounds thru it.

BRETT B

#44 Postby BRETT B » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Hey Azzo , If it is VERY heavy carbon you can get it out just takes some work. If your going to re chamber I would try it anyway but you will need clean it bare and maybe Iosso may be the only thing that will touch it!! ALL the carbon needs to come out so soaking for a few days may help but all depends how baked on it is.Cap 1 end of your barrel, fill with hoppes to top of the muzzle and cap that end , stand upright in the corner for a week. Capping keeps the solvents from evaporating, this could help soften up the carbon. JB Red does work but only after you get most of the carbon out as its just not abrasive enough if carbon is baked on hard. Saums with 2209 are ANGRY hence require a more sturdy cleaning approach than typical calibres.
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Azzopardi

#45 Postby Azzopardi » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:20 pm

Pommy Chris wrote:
Azzopardi wrote:
Chris

G’day Chris,

It might be worth pasting it with something like KG, see if you can really clean it up and try it again, you might be lucky and get accuracy back for a bit longer.
I am also curious about 7mm and moly use. Moly seems to extend my 308 barrels life, I cant help wondering if it might extend 7mm barrel life too?
Chris

Tried moly when I was shooting F-TR and it reminded me of a lady I used to know; messy and I had to clean up, often.
Regards,
Azzo

Return to “Equipment & Technical”