New Barrel

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

BC

New Barrel

#1 Postby BC » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:25 pm

Why is it important to run in a new barrel? I have done this many times but I really do not know why.
Thanks Ben

Pommy Chris

Re: New Barrel

#2 Postby Pommy Chris » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:58 pm

BC wrote:Why is it important to run in a new barrel? I have done this many times but I really do not know why.
Thanks Ben

Waiting for flames, but it is not necessary to run a barrel in not a target barrel anyway. How can it be important on a polished barrel? How can firing a shot and cleaning do anything apart wearing your barrel out? Fire cracking kills barrels not wear ie melting metal and pieces coming off like a tile missing in the wall in the bathroom. Wear is not the problem, every shot you fire running a barrel in is a shot closer to the worn out barrel. I fire about 6-10 rounds sighting it in and clean it then shoot it. If this hurts the barrel it is a rubbish barrel anyway.
Chris

ben_g

#3 Postby ben_g » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:42 am

My understanding was that the new throat needs to be ‘run in’ after chambering as the barrel itself is lapped and should be smooth.

The last few barrels I have had I certainly noticed the rate of coppering dropped of noticeably after a break in procedure that takes approximately 15 shots only.

Also why do barrels often speed up over their early life if something is not being smoothed or ‘run in’?My thoughts are after a few hundred rounds the barrel and bullet are sealing 100% maximising pressure (it’s only a theory). The last tiny imperfections along the bore are either smoothed out or filled in with fouling (again my theory only)
My most recent 284 barrel initially required over 51.2gr of powder to hit the 2820fps sweet spot and was shooting well one weekend, the following weekend it started to demonstrate pressure signs and a quick test with the chrono showed it up over 2860fps. (Same load/conditions/temp)

It’s now shooting great with 50.6gr of powder which is basically the same as the last barrel and appears to have stabilised its velocity.

There are people here that have run in a LOT more barrels than me however so I am interested to hear their experiences
Last edited by ben_g on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barossa_222

#4 Postby Barossa_222 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:00 am

Do they run in Formula 1 cars? If you have a good gunsmith, you shouldn't need to lap anything in. Every shot you fire is a shot closer to the end of the barrels life. I have run in barrels in the past and have now given up, I have never noticed a difference in either accuracy, cleaning or barrel life. Keep in mind I know nothing about nothing.

Tim N

#5 Postby Tim N » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 am

BC wrote:Why is it important to run in a new barrel? I have done this many times but I really do not know why.
Thanks Ben

Ever seen the migration of the wilderbeast.

I'll admit to not being very particular about running in a barrel, my first 280AI was run in at a club shoot-24 shots-clean then carry on.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

David B

#6 Postby David B » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:36 am

Could be something to do with the barrel manufactures instructions... guess they know a little about barrels?
Will you guys be covering warranties for people don't bother with a run in procedure?

willow

#7 Postby willow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:39 am

Didn't bother with any particular procedure for my last barrel which went on a 6BRA. Put 25 rounds down the tube whilst fireforming, went home and gave it a good scrub. To this date it's probably been the best barrel I've had.

David B

#8 Postby David B » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:57 am

willow wrote:Didn't bother with any particular procedure for my last barrel which went on a 6BRA. Put 25 rounds down the tube whilst fireforming, went home and gave it a good scrub. To this date it's probably been the best barrel I've had.

All well and good but what would happen if it was a dud, would you expect a warranty?

willow

#9 Postby willow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:17 pm

David B wrote:
willow wrote:Didn't bother with any particular procedure for my last barrel which went on a 6BRA. Put 25 rounds down the tube whilst fireforming, went home and gave it a good scrub. To this date it's probably been the best barrel I've had.

All well and good but what would happen if it was a dud, would you expect a warranty?

Nope. The only barrel manufacturer that springs to mind that offers a guarantee of sorts is Benchmark barrels. I haven't had a dud barrel yet, and only one of my friends springs to mind that really had a shocking barrel chambered in .260. If I end up with a dud down the track, so be it. I'll probably just steer clear of that manufacturer moving forward but I make a point with my rifles to only use cut-rifled barrels as opposed to other rifling methods.

David B

#10 Postby David B » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:18 pm

All reputable companies Warranty thier barrels. The one factor out of thier control is steel another subject altogether.

Barossa_222

#11 Postby Barossa_222 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:35 pm

You wouldn't find too many dud barrels from premium barrel makers. Most of the "dud" ones I'll think you'll find are from shooters with nfi. If you want to run in your barrels go ahead, but you did ask for opinions and that's all you've gotten.

David B

#12 Postby David B » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:01 pm

Pommy Chris

#13 Postby Pommy Chris » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:09 pm

How would a barrel company look down a barrel and know if you had run it in? The idea of running in is without carbon (slippy) the projectile rubs off the high spots (going to happen anyway after a 30 rounds or so). Way back when with .303 barrels they were rough and to quickly get best accuracy you needed to quickly wear the barrel in so this BS of running in evolved. Now with lapped match barrels there is really nothing to run in and the only sharp edge is the lead in which will erode quick enough with normal shooting. Look up a barrel with 1,000 rounds and you see why running in is pointless wear has nothing to do with the death of a a barrel.
Chris

David B

#14 Postby David B » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:44 pm

Simply talking about following the manufacturer's because they for some reason they have a tendency to know best, if the muzzle end a new barrel is badly copper fouled it's a dead give away.

Pommy Chris

#15 Postby Pommy Chris » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:38 pm

David B wrote:Simply talking about following the manufacturer's because they for some reason they have a tendency to know best, if the muzzle end a new barrel is badly copper fouled it's a dead give away.

We all have opinions even manufactures. I know of a barrel maker who says dont use bronze brushes or paste in their barrels. There is no solvent that will remove all the carbon if you dont believe me buy a borescope. Just because it is written in the instructions it does not mean it is correct.
Chris

Return to “Equipment & Technical”