Cleaning after firing lead projectiles

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

macguru

Cleaning after firing lead projectiles

#1 Postby macguru » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:40 pm

So ... I have fired about 25 cowboy loads out of my miroku 1873 357 lever gun... trailboss smokeless powder and HRB lead slugs. I just cleaned the barrel with #9 hoppes and it all looks clean..(then put in a little sweets oil). My question is: with lead projectiles are you just trying to get the powder fouling out ? do you need to use anything special for the lead or, as i suspect is hoppes enough ??
id quod est

bsouthernau

Re: Cleaning after firing lead projectiles

#2 Postby bsouthernau » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:59 am

A search on "bore cleaner lead removal" will produce more advice than you can use!!

BATattack

#3 Postby BATattack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Bruce Moulds will tell you. And give you an informative history lesson along the way :-)

mike H

#4 Postby mike H » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Hoppes is fine,as far as I know there is nothing we should be using that dissolves lead in barrels,if in the unlikely event you got some leading solvent and a tight patch should push it out,a firm patch and JB paste will grab onto any lead also.For serious cases of leading,ooo or oooo steel wool on a brush will remove it.I doubt you will have any trouble.I have been casting bullet for pistols and rifles for almost 60 years,there is a lot of misinformation out there,just take it steady and enjoy your fine new rifle.

macguru

#5 Postby macguru » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks, yep i think it will only ever see lead projectiles .... It is a joy to shoot and very smooth.
id quod est

bruce moulds

#6 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:28 pm

bat,
you are an old dog.
macguru,
the best way to get rid of lead is not to get it in the first place.
the 2 main things here are a good lube that works, and equally important a bullet 0.001" over groove diameter.
seating alloy bullets in sized cases can but not necessarily will, reduce their diameter.
as you shoot that barrel with lead bullets it will slowly get better.
should you get a leaded barrel one product that can help is pure natural turpentine.
after soaking the barrel in it, a very tight patch driven through will strip bad leading bit by bit.
after that use of lead removing cloth will get the rest.
this cloth seems to be a bit like j.b. in action.
it does not hurt to use it occasionally even when you don't think you have lead.
can you remove the bolt to clean that rifle?
if not you need a good guide on the muzzle to protect the crown.
cleanning with the bolt in is easier with a cradle that holds the top of the rifle downward, so when the patces come out the breech from the muzzle, the crap does not fall into the action.
original cartridges for such rifles (e.g. 44/40) had bullets a little undersize,made of 20:1 lead tin, which bumped up to be a nice fit in the barrel and seal gas well, thus avoiding gas cutting and the leading that goes with it.
black powder in those rounds has such a steep pressure curve that it bumps up bullets well.
smokeless has less bumpup, hence the need for correct size bullets.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

bruce moulds

#7 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:48 pm

hrb bullets sound like they are made from what was once known a taracorp magnum alloy. 2%tin, 6% antimony, 92% lead.
it is about as hard as lyman no 2 alloy, 5%tin, 5% antimony ,90%lead, or a little harder, but cheaper to make, primarily due to the cost of tin.
this alloy is oretty much stock in trade for commercial "hard cast" bullets these days.
as an aside i once worked up loads for a marlin 95 45/70 using slightly softer bullets of 400ish grains doing over 2000 fps.
these loads used ar2201, equivalent to 4198imr.
never any leading, but mucho recoil in such a light rifle.
one of these loads took down a buffalo.
keep safe,
bruce.

macguru

#8 Postby macguru » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:09 pm

The HRB's are coated with 'black stuff" that hopefully has the lubricating properties you mention.
id quod est

bruce moulds

#9 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:29 am

probably more important is bullet diameter vs groove diameter.
if gas can get past the bullet it will gascut the alloy, causing the worst type of leading.
also, you can fill what grooves you have with lube to aid the black stuff.
bruce.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”