Problems with CCI 450s

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Matt P

Re: Problems with CCI 450s

#76 Postby Matt P » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:32 am

Old Trev-39 wrote:One of my Barnards is a'98 model. Bolt has always been de-cocked at end of days shooting. Always goes bang with all brands of primers. Do not know how many shots fired.
Cheers,
Trevor.

You must of got one of the springs not made of "metals which dont weaken like Barnard springs do" :roll: :roll:

Pommy Chris

#77 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:01 am

Matt P wrote:
Old Trev-39 wrote:One of my Barnards is a'98 model. Bolt has always been de-cocked at end of days shooting. Always goes bang with all brands of primers. Do not know how many shots fired.
Cheers,
Trevor.

You must of got one of the springs not made of "metals which dont weaken like Barnard springs do" :roll: :roll:

I dont know if it is an issue with the spring or not. I do know it is possible to make springs that last longer than most bolt springs do. Both Betta and I have shot thousands and thousands of cci primers without one failure, then we but a new batch number and we both at the same time start getting miss fires. I wonder if primers are faulty or cup metal on new batch is harder or thicker, either way it is resulting in miss fires. Other primers are fine just cci.
Chris

KHGS

#78 Postby KHGS » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:24 am

Pommy Chris wrote:
Matt P wrote:
Cheers,
Trevor.

I dont know if it is an issue with the spring or not. I do know it is possible to make springs that last longer than most bolt springs do. Both Betta and I have shot thousands and thousands of cci primers without one failure, then we but a new batch number and we both at the same time start getting miss fires. I wonder if primers are faulty or cup metal on new batch is harder or thicker, either way it is resulting in miss fires. Other primers are fine just cci.
Chris

Hmmm, so it would seem that your springs are actually fine then?????
Keith H.

Pommy Chris

#79 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:02 pm

KHGS wrote:
Pommy Chris wrote:
Matt P wrote:You must of got one of the springs not made of "metals which dont weaken like Barnard springs do" :roll: :roll:

Chris

Hmmm, so it would seem that your springs are actually fine then?????
Keith H.

Dont know. My rifle shot two shooters myself and a new shooter at the weekend and Betta shot hers no miss fire problems but different primers. Last time we both shot cci I has two miss fires and Betta had one so 3 miss fires in 36 shots over two rifles. I know cci have hard cups, but never been a problem before.
Chris

Old Trev-39

#80 Postby Old Trev-39 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:48 pm

I bought the action new from Phil Mastin and have not changed the spring. Maybe they have changed their spring material since then. However my PC10 still works fine.
Cheers,
Trevor.

Pommy Chris

#81 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:07 am

Old Trev-39 wrote:I bought the action new from Phil Mastin and have not changed the spring. Maybe they have changed their spring material since then. However my PC10 still works fine.
Cheers,
Trevor.

Do you shoot small rifle primers in Palma brass ie cci 450?
Chris

AlanF

#82 Postby AlanF » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:56 am

Here's my take on this : Small primers are less tolerant than large - i.e. if the firing pin strike is not a good match for the particular primer batch then there will be misfires. I believe you have to accept this if you opt for a small primer case. As to what to do about it, probably best to start simple and only do more if the problem persists e.g. try a different primer batch, then a different brand, then examine your reloading methods in relation to primer pocket depth and headspace. If none of those simple measures solves the problem you can then hand it over to your gunsmith in the knowledge that you aren't wasting his time (or your money).

williada

#83 Postby williada » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:12 am

How you store primers is important too if you buy in bulk. A cool dry place is required. Also keep oily fingers away. Nothing kills primers better than oil. I soak old primers in oil for safe disposal. If primers are kept stored next to other chemicals they absorb vapors easily. Who knows how some primers are stored prior to the customer receiving them? If you get a dud batch having considered what Alan has summarized, use the oil soak for safer disposal.

Rich4

#84 Postby Rich4 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Very true, even with perfect storage you have no idea where they’ve been prior to receiving, heat humidity and time all degrade such things, any idea on time exposure? I have some very old primers and powder but try to use it rather than waste? #-o even bullet jacketmetal will change over time

williada

#85 Postby williada » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Rich4, I think in target shooting you have to turn primers over on a barrel basis. That is why I buy sufficient to last the barrel life of the best batch on my initial primer testing with a new barrel. Same with projectiles. Same with powder. The best place to buy primers is from the association shop stores where they have high turnover and the risk of getting stale batches is reduced. However, what they hold in stock depends on the frequency of their supply by ship from the States. Knowledge of the timing of these deliveries would be best if you wanted to stock up. Batch buying is very important with components. A few weeks ago, my wife used up a fantastic batch of 2208 in her .308. The new batch used a grain less for the same velocity and a bit more tinkering has to take place to achieve the same tune.

Pommy Chris

#86 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:38 pm

Guys we have shot 10 of thousands of the same primers then we open a box and miss fires. Lots of possibilities but likely issues are small.
Primers are in old fridge and Very dry. All else is right and other primers are working. Been a very long time using cci 450. But can't be doing with issues
Chris

Return to “Equipment & Technical”