Submerging barrels in cleaning solutions

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bsouthernau

Re: Submerging barrels in cleaning solutions

#31 Postby bsouthernau » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:34 am

The instructions on Boretech C4, which I use and like, state that it contains a SHORT TERM (my emphasis) rust preventative. Noting Keith's comments above it would be helpful to know where the boundary between short and long terms lies - not to me though, I store them with Hoppes No9.

Barry

KHGS

#32 Postby KHGS » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:14 am

benculton wrote:
I use & recommend Boretech solvents, caution should be exercised when leaving it in the barrel for extended periods. Reason being is it is a water based product & offers no protection from air born moisture in high humidity climates. This is not the fault of the solvent and is climatic. I leave it in my barrels overnight here as our climate is quite dry with low humidity.
Keith H.

Thanks for the reply Keith. I live in South West Victoria. So not overly humid but not dry by any means. When you leave it in your barrel overnight do you then run clean patches through it the next morning an oil afterwards? Rifle only gets used once a week the majority of the time so would be interested to know what you would be doing in that situation.

Thanks.

Ben.

Dry patch followed by a patch with Sweets oil then one pass with a dry patch, dry chamber, ready to shoot.
Keith H.

Ray Hurley

#33 Postby Ray Hurley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:10 pm

I have used a capped stainless steel pipe to soak barrels in,as it’s a pretty tight fit on a parallel barrel I don’t need much fluid. I use hoppes number 9. Works great

Return to “Equipment & Technical”