enlighten me on powder measures.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

lonerider43

enlighten me on powder measures.

#1 Postby lonerider43 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:03 pm

whats the scoop on the powder chuckers ?
RCBS Charge Master Combo/light and other brands
if they are as good as using a trickler and digital scales why do i hear people saying the need to check loads ?
isnt that defeating the purpose ? are they [as i suspect] only good for hunting load accuracy ?

regards

sean.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

GSells

Re: enlighten me on powder measures.

#2 Postby GSells » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:49 am

lonerider43 wrote:whats the scoop on the powder chuckers ?
RCBS Charge Master Combo/light and other brands
if they are as good as using a trickler and digital scales why do i hear people saying the need to check loads ?
isnt that defeating the purpose ? are they [as i suspect] only good for hunting load accuracy ?

regards

sean.

For what it’s worth, I use an rcbs charge master with the Maccas straw conversion . This on its own is most likely accurate for F Standard. But for F open I’ll check on a Gem pro 250 ( they can be tempremtal if not handled properly!) .

My Son then 14 yrs old 2015 , shot a unofficial Aussie record of 90.7 FSB at Bunderberg Opm at 800 yds , just using the Chargemaster , with loads taken after the beep !
8C4BCF74-61E4-4181-B01F-CE38EAAA5F85.jpeg
CBA2922E-40F3-45E4-8853-0E245ECADAAD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GSells on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

ben_g

#3 Postby ben_g » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:11 pm

I have been having very acceptable results with the old fashioned RCBS powder thrower, a set of 10-10scales and a dandy trickler.

Next upgrade for me would be a set of A&D’s but if you use them properly and carefully the beam scales will resolve to the kernel of powder.

lonerider43

#4 Postby lonerider43 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:23 pm

hmmm
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Wal86

#5 Postby Wal86 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:24 pm

Ben,
I wouldnt consider the A&D an upgrade...
Cheers
Alan

ben_g

#6 Postby ben_g » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:34 pm

I’m not rushing to change my powder weighing setup Alan. It might not be the fastest but it works.

I was under the impression a&d were the ducks guts?? Not your findings?

John23

#7 Postby John23 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Charge masters ect are fine although I would still weigh each charge on some dependable beam scales .

By accident I discovered lee plastic throwers are the best .
I bought a harrel at the same time 2 second hand lee’s .

Harrel is good for Ppc powder but won’t meter 2208 for shit

Lee on the other hand throws almost perfectly every time .
No tricks , inconsistent patterns .

It just meters beautiful

I Still trickle on some beams but honestly would get away with out 95% of the time

Tim N

#8 Postby Tim N » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:06 am

ben_g wrote:I’m not rushing to change my powder weighing setup Alan. It might not be the fastest but it works.

The A&D scale with the auto trickler is FAST which is the upgrade not so much the accuracy, if your beam scale measures accurately to the kernel no gain there.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

ben_g

#9 Postby ben_g » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:21 am

Tim N wrote:
ben_g wrote:I’m not rushing to change my powder weighing setup Alan. It might not be the fastest but it works.

The A&D scale with the auto trickler is FAST which is the upgrade not so much the accuracy, if your beam scale measures accurately to the kernel no gain there.

Thanks Tim.

I suspected the biggest gain was in speed when used with auto throw.

I’ll keep trucking along with the beam scale.

Tim L

#10 Postby Tim L » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:24 am

I used the RCBS and reweighed on a Gempro 250 for a few years. Generally there was very little in it, add a kernal or 2 or remove. The RCBS did have a tendency to overthrow and you have to wait to see that measurement pop up. Not a big issue, just chuck it back in and throw another.
The only reason I now have an AnD set up is because the RCBS started to play up on the slow spin portion of the throw (quite often it just didn't turn). So I replaced it with the AnD and the trickler. It is faster simply because there is no reweigh. I didn't get the powder drop bit, i just use a lee scoop for the bulk and let the AnD do the rest.
Yes, the trickler wanders around the bench because of the stepper motor. My solution was grip tape on my bench and the bottom of the front of the trickler then just adjust the height of the rear as it says in the instructions.
I'm happy with the set up and confident with the throws, but I wouldn't swap from an RCBS just for the sake of it.

Bigtravoz

#11 Postby Bigtravoz » Wed May 22, 2019 9:30 pm

John23 wrote:Charge masters ect are fine although I would still weigh each charge on some dependable beam scales .

By accident I discovered lee plastic throwers are the best .
I bought a harrel at the same time 2 second hand lee’s .

Harrel is good for Ppc powder but won’t meter 2208 for shit

Lee on the other hand throws almost perfectly every time .
No tricks , inconsistent patterns .

It just meters beautiful

I Still trickle on some beams but honestly would get away with out 95% of the time

Agreed, I use a lee perfect powder measure and originally intended to set it a grain or so light, once set up I found it would consistently throw within one kernel of any of the adi stick powders from 2206h to 2209 at least.

Jakec27

#12 Postby Jakec27 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:05 am

what is a good electronic scale to buy? it seems you can no longer buy a gempro 250

ajvanwyk

#13 Postby ajvanwyk » Thu May 23, 2019 10:42 am

Jakec27 wrote:what is a good electronic scale to buy? it seems you can no longer buy a gempro 250

Jake, if you want a GemPro 250, I have one that from memory was used once or twice (It was the third in a line of free replacements over an 18month period) ... Will be in Bendigo on Sunday...

That said, I have for the longest time, only used a ChargeMaster that I bought second hand on this forum...

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

Return to “Equipment & Technical”