Just starting out

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Vicko

Re: Just starting out

#46 Postby Vicko » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:40 pm

I'm in the same boat here. Looking at getting into target shooting, but with a rifle that can also be used for hunting. I'm thinking 308 gives me more class (and hunting) options including SH and F Standard as well as potential for PSR. I have read a few people mentioned Savage rifles but have mainly been looking at Lithgow 102 and 105 and Tikka TAC & TAC A1. Can these rifles also be shot in FTR? I'm not really across the classes fully yet. I'm looking to dip my toe in with a rifle that I can practise on to improve my overall shooting at the same time. Does anyone have any reports on the LA102 and 105? Plenty of people vouching for Tikka, but the Lithgow's are fairly new I guess.

cheech

#47 Postby cheech » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Vicko wrote:I'm in the same boat here. Looking at getting into target shooting, but with a rifle that can also be used for hunting. I'm thinking 308 gives me more class (and hunting) options including SH and F Standard as well as potential for PSR. I have read a few people mentioned Savage rifles but have mainly been looking at Lithgow 102 and 105 and Tikka TAC & TAC A1. Can these rifles also be shot in FTR? I'm not really across the classes fully yet. I'm looking to dip my toe in with a rifle that I can practise on to improve my overall shooting at the same time. Does anyone have any reports on the LA102 and 105? Plenty of people vouching for Tikka, but the Lithgow's are fairly new I guess.

If I had a dollar for every good shooting Tikka T3 varmint , I’d own the range by now

williada

#48 Postby williada » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:10 pm

My young bloke just bought a Tikka in 300 WSM and intends to have a play with practical for fun, but his main game is deer hunting. Nice bit of kit.

Bigtravoz

#49 Postby Bigtravoz » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:20 pm

williada wrote:My young bloke just bought a Tikka in 300 WSM and intends to have a play with practical for fun, but his main game is deer hunting. Nice bit of kit.

I think my suggestion on page three is starting to prove itself too. Don’t you reckon ;)

Built for not much more than the price of a barnard action.

Wiseman7187

#50 Postby Wiseman7187 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:58 am

Vicko wrote:I'm in the same boat here. Looking at getting into target shooting, but with a rifle that can also be used for hunting. I'm thinking 308 gives me more class (and hunting) options including SH and F Standard as well as potential for PSR. I have read a few people mentioned Savage rifles but have mainly been looking at Lithgow 102 and 105 and Tikka TAC & TAC A1. Can these rifles also be shot in FTR? I'm not really across the classes fully yet. I'm looking to dip my toe in with a rifle that I can practise on to improve my overall shooting at the same time. Does anyone have any reports on the LA102 and 105? Plenty of people vouching for Tikka, but the Lithgow's are fairly new I guess.

I've been looking at the Lithgow 102 and 105's myself. But was wondering if you or anyone else knows if the 102 can be put into a custom chassis like an mdt chassis easily if at all?

williada

#51 Postby williada » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:06 pm

Wiseman7187 my eldest son shoots both the Tikka and the Lithgow. He prefers the Lithgow and another in the club uses a Lithgow. Both are wrapt. https://www.osaaustralia.com.au/product ... -only-apc/

macguru

#52 Postby macguru » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:29 am

If you go to a competition , F class , and look at the rifles that are being used you will see that there are no rifles that you could use for hunting, unless you are sniping game from the porch of your farmhouse. PRS is another matter .... you could definitely come up with a tactical setup light enough to carry.
id quod est

Gyro

#53 Postby Gyro » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:10 am

macguru wrote:If you go to a competition , F class , and look at the rifles that are being used you will see that there are no rifles that you could use for hunting, unless you are sniping game from the porch of your farmhouse. PRS is another matter .... you could definitely come up with a tactical setup light enough to carry.

F Class we know requires high precision over long strings of fire. What are the string numbers in PRS and what level of precision is required compared to F Class ?

williada

#54 Postby williada » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:55 pm

I think some might not realize we can shoot Hunter Class in competition and to me, this is real "F" class because you can use these rifles in the field. Sure rifles maybe the same as PRS competitions run by other organisations. Just goes to show how versatile the use of these rifles are.

In Gippsland, you will certainly see these rifles being used on the range in competition. There are several in the Moe Club and are a source of new membership. They score the same as TR and fit nicely into Alan's handicap system we use in Pennants.

There is no problem I have seen with 10 shot strings in the kit I have observed at Moe with the Lithgows and over 1000 yards which surprised me.

I also remember when "F" class first started the grief and lampooning these new competitors faced. Alan used to really cop it from old Bill.

Wiseman7187

#55 Postby Wiseman7187 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:22 am

williada wrote:Wiseman7187 my eldest son shoots both the Tikka and the Lithgow. He prefers the Lithgow and another in the club uses a Lithgow. Both are wrapt. https://www.osaaustralia.com.au/product ... -only-apc/

I was loo kking at the LITHGOW LA105 WOOMERA also.
Prob shoot about the same as the LA102?
If I may ask do the Lithgow rifles u know shoot .308 or 6.5?

williada

#56 Postby williada » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:32 am

One club member has a Lithgow in a chasis in .308, the other is my son's in a wooden stock in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both off bipods but the Creedmoor is exceptional.

Wiseman7187

#57 Postby Wiseman7187 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:10 am

williada wrote:One club member has a Lithgow in a chasis in .308, the other is my son's in a wooden stock in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both off bipods but the Creedmoor is exceptional.

May I I ask how far out does your club shoot those rifles out to?
My local range shoots out to 1000 but the Lithgow is defiantly in my maybe list at this time. Just still can't chose a caliber as I'm new to shooting.

UL1700

#58 Postby UL1700 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:02 am

macguru wrote: Unless you are sniping game from the porch of your farmhouse.

Its been done, took a fox a few weeks ago with the Barnard 308 :lol:

williada

#59 Postby williada » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:46 am

Our club range goes to 900 yards. I will say that at Rosedale, my son only dropped 1 point at 1000 yards with a 22 inch barrel this year. The rifle maybe exceptional. He was using 129 grain Nosler Accubond long range doing 2750 fps. This suits his 1-8 barrel twist. The rifle positively compensates. The locking lugs were the only thing needed touching up and the rifle was bedded on wood. It has a beautiful resonance. Remember they are not FO rifles, but very competitive even against FTR and FS in their own right but in their Hunter class they are hard to toss. The 6.5 Creedmoor is more accurate off the bipod than the same rifle another member has in .308 with a longer barrel in the Lithgow. Also note that many in shortrange benchrest only use a 22 inch barrel. Hope this helps.

Brad Y

#60 Postby Brad Y » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Don’t discount a semi custom build on a tikka. With the right setup they will work. I used one in the 2019 WARA queens which was full of the best shooters in the country staying to compete after the state teams events earlier that week. Placed 6th in FTR amongst stolle’s, barnards and other good quality actions. All it had was a bartlein barrel screwed into it and a good setup stock.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”