Hornady A tip Bullets

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

superx10

Hornady A tip Bullets

#1 Postby superx10 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:42 am

Hi Check out the link below for the latest in Match bullets, very high claimed BC for the 6.5 130gr gr.
Will this cure my severe case of Burgerits?

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/

benculton

Re: Hornady A tip Bullets

#2 Postby benculton » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:55 am

superx10 wrote:Hi Check out the link below for the latest in Match bullets, very high claimed BC for the 6.5 130gr gr.
Will this cure my severe case of Burgerits?

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/

They look very interesting indeed. Would love to see a side to side comparison by an independent source between the new A-Tip projectiles and their ELD-M's.

One of the latest Cleavers emails have them advertised for $129 per 100. With availability later in the year. Be interesting to see what regular RRP is seeing they usually try undercutting everyone on price.

UL1700

#3 Postby UL1700 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:24 am

I was looking at them in the lastest cleavers email but at a dollar 30 per round ($1.40 for 308 but only in 230 or 250gn) you would want to hope that it was more than just an aesthetic :shock: That said they do look good #-o

https://www.cleaverfirearms.com/Product ... arch=a-tip

Wal86

#4 Postby Wal86 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Hornady did an aluminum tipped bullet about 16 years ago, they were a very ordinary bullet at the time..
(Dont quote me, but i think it was the first A-MAX that had an aluminum tip...) Hornady then went to plastic tips..
Hopefully with new technology they will have improved...

bruce moulds

#5 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:56 pm

wal,
I still have some original amax 7mm 162 gn with aluminium tips.
they are longer than 180 gn bergers, and I suspect might have had some stability problems in the 1:9.5 twists commonly available in the day.
what goes round comes round.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Frank Green

#6 Postby Frank Green » Wed May 01, 2019 2:17 am

Over here they are retailing for about $79 a hundred for like the 6.5mm bullets.

I did get my hands on some of the 6mm's (25 of them). Haven't loaded them up as of yet.

I have shot the 153 out of my 6.5CM (only shot 19 of them so far) but all I can say is you couldn't wipe the grin off of my face. They shot very good. At 430 yards about a 1.25" group. That was in 11-15mph winds shot out of my PRS rifle.

I've got 40 rounds of the 135's loaded up. Trying to get out to shoot them but right now we have rain for the next 4 days in the forecast. Suppose to get 1"-2" this afternoon thru tomorrow morning.

Other people that have shot them I've all heard very good reviews on and no complaints.

How they shoot for each individual and price and willing to pay...that is for each shooter to figure out/justify.

The BC of the bullets I will say is as advertised and not made up.

The original alum. tip bullets I believe even prior to the 7mm's was the .50bmg AMAX bullet which they still make. Bruce's comment on the twist rates of barrels available or considered the standard back then probably didn't help at all.

later, Frank

Gyro

#7 Postby Gyro » Wed May 01, 2019 7:39 am

We all survived this same bullet makers great advance with the Heat Shield tip, but I would like to know if anyone anywhere has won a big Comp with them ?

bruce moulds

#8 Postby bruce moulds » Wed May 01, 2019 8:16 am

could it be that the Hornady marketing team learned some on how to charge extra with the heat shield tip, and carried it to a even greater heights with the aluminium a tip :?: :idea: :shock: .
strange that the aluminium tip in the old amax was dropped because plastic ones were better, according to marketing statements at the time. :roll:
fortunately we can rely on the pontifications of the marketers to know what is best for us. they just want to help us. =D>
it was noted that the newer plastic tipped amax were a lot shorter than the aluminium tipped ones, possibly having a far greater affect on accuracy than what the tips were made of.
shooters seem happy to spend money in the hope that the new product will do their job for them [-o< .
it is nice to believe in father xmas and fairies, but sadly in the end we seem to grow out of such things. :-({|=
bruce.

Gyro

#9 Postby Gyro » Wed May 01, 2019 8:43 am

[quote="bruce moulds"]could it be that the Hornady marketing team learned some on how to charge extra with the heat shield tip, and carried it to a even greater heights with the aluminium a tip :?: :idea: :shock: .
strange that the aluminium tip in the old amax was dropped because plastic ones were better, according to marketing statements at the time. :roll:
fortunately we can rely on the pontifications of the marketers to know what is best for us. they just want to help us. =D>
it was noted that the newer plastic tipped amax were a lot shorter than the aluminium tipped ones, possibly having a far greater affect on accuracy than what the tips were made of.
shooters seem happy to spend money in the hope that the new product will do their job for them [-o< .
it is nice to believe in father xmas and fairies, but sadly in the end we seem to grow out of such things. :-({|=
bruce.[/quote
Bruce you're in real danger of becoming as cynical as me !

bruce moulds

#10 Postby bruce moulds » Wed May 01, 2019 8:56 am

yes gyro, and it would appear keith might be in the same boat.
we are all in the same leaky boat, but the older ones can often see the leak.
old age does have a tendancy to let you learn from the past.
although I do wonder if a certain ex would be politician in australia has learned a huge amount about life.
bruce.

Wal86

#11 Postby Wal86 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:02 am

Gyro wrote:
bruce moulds wrote:could it be that the Hornady marketing team learned some on how to charge extra with the heat shield tip, and carried it to a even greater heights with the aluminium a tip :?: :idea: :shock: .
bruce.[/quote
Bruce you're in real danger of becoming as cynical as me !

I seem to recall that when hornady first changed the amax tip from aluminum to plastic, the plastic tip progressively got shorter, and the jacket length increased...

Sometimes i wish bullet manufacturers were not so BC driven....
Last edited by Wal86 on Wed May 01, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Green

#12 Postby Frank Green » Wed May 01, 2019 10:20 am

Gyro wrote:We all survived this same bullet makers great advance with the Heat Shield tip, but I would like to know if anyone anywhere has won a big Comp with them ?

They just came out literally in the last week. None have been shot in any type of any match at all.

Gyro

#13 Postby Gyro » Wed May 01, 2019 12:47 pm

Frank Green wrote:
Gyro wrote:We all survived this same bullet makers great advance with the Heat Shield tip, but I would like to know if anyone anywhere has won a big Comp with them ?

They just came out literally in the last week. None have been shot in any type of any match at all.

I meant the ELD boolit Frank.

dave

#14 Postby dave » Wed May 01, 2019 2:57 pm

according to the range inspectors in nsw, on nraa ranges, metal and steel objects must be removed ( ie in frames, posts etc etc), so,what would be the legality of aluminium tipped projectiles ????

just wondering ???

cheers
dave

btw

alan, you are spot on with your comments regarding the evolvement of the Hornady a max from aluminium to plastic tips and back. :D :D

willow

#15 Postby willow » Wed May 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Frank Green wrote:Over here they are retailing for about $79 a hundred for like the 6.5mm bullets.

I did get my hands on some of the 6mm's (25 of them). Haven't loaded them up as of yet.

I have shot the 153 out of my 6.5CM (only shot 19 of them so far) but all I can say is you couldn't wipe the grin off of my face. They shot very good. At 430 yards about a 1.25" group. That was in 11-15mph winds shot out of my PRS rifle.

I've got 40 rounds of the 135's loaded up. Trying to get out to shoot them but right now we have rain for the next 4 days in the forecast. Suppose to get 1"-2" this afternoon thru tomorrow morning.

Other people that have shot them I've all heard very good reviews on and no complaints.

How they shoot for each individual and price and willing to pay...that is for each shooter to figure out/justify.

The BC of the bullets I will say is as advertised and not made up.

The original alum. tip bullets I believe even prior to the 7mm's was the .50bmg AMAX bullet which they still make. Bruce's comment on the twist rates of barrels available or considered the standard back then probably didn't help at all.

later, Frank

These bullets are certainly going to be more expensive than anything else available over here Frank and our dollar continues to fall against the US dollar which isn't helping. Given the price, do you see these as being worth the extra cost over the likes of Berger and custom bullets like Barts? And as far as the 6.5s go, did they like to be jammed or jumped?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”