to make a fire form barrel or not

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

saum2

to make a fire form barrel or not

#1 Postby saum2 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:51 am

With fire forming BR brass to Dasher, is it worth while having a fire form barrel made from an old barrel or just use the new barrel. Bearing in mind to have someone rechamber a barrel to fit the action cost $$$$

UL1700

Re: to make a fire form barrel or not

#2 Postby UL1700 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:13 am

Nothing to lose by chambering an old barrel with the same reamer, saves 100 rounds down the spout for little cost especially if you have an old 6 previously fitted to your action. With a new barrel and brass, I can use 50 rounds just running in the barrel so returns are diminished. If its your 1st 6 / Dasher, it won't be long until you are on your 2nd so I would probably just FF and run in at the same time in the same barrel. Fire forming dashers can still run better then 1/2 MOA, ours basically held the super at a 1000 whilst Fire Forming the other week at Bendigo and 60s with high super count are regularly reported at 600. Cases had a false shoulder, tight jammed 105vld and 30.3 gn 2208 for near perfect case fill.

blowemup

#3 Postby blowemup » Wed May 29, 2019 3:13 pm

I have a fire form barrel for my Dashers but find it better to Hydroform the cases first & run them in a less important match to finish them off. ( ordered the die through Hornady's custom shop ).

While Hydro forming its common to lose a few cases to split shoulders though.

cheers Ken.

UL1700

#4 Postby UL1700 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:33 pm

blowemup wrote:
While Hydro forming its common to lose a few cases to split shoulders though.

cheers Ken.

I thought one of the advantages of hydroforming was to avoid split necks? I lost 2 out of 101 (thanks Lapua, I often seem to get 1 spare!) Whilst fireforming by just jamming the projectiles as tight as possible and maybe half a dozen that took a couple of hits to fire (cci450) but with the donut method, no misfires and also no spit necks in 200 cases. Could be luck who knows?

blowemup

#5 Postby blowemup » Thu May 30, 2019 7:27 am

Well if its working that way & your happy with the results no need to change... there's plenty of old 6 barrels about & a fire forming barrel will near last a lifetime , its just the cost of a chamber & fit that hurts.

Just limp through with what your doing now & when this barrel gives up you will have what your after.

Spend the chamber & fit money on your next tube.

Barossa_222

#6 Postby Barossa_222 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:59 am

I had a hunting gun chambered in dasher and just used to jam and shoot. No split necks, no change in accuracy. Should I chamber an F class gun I won't be using a fire-forming barrel or hydro forming. Whatever works for you, just do that.

RDavies

#7 Postby RDavies » Fri May 31, 2019 9:18 am

If you are worried about eroding your barrel with extra fire forming shots, another alternative is to use Trailboss powder to fireform the cases, with some cheap and nasty 6mm plinking bullets. You could fore 100 rounds pretty quickly without heating up the barrel, eroding the throat or using up your precious supply of Bergers. It will still run the barrel in nicely without wearing it out.

G.COSTA

#8 Postby G.COSTA » Fri May 31, 2019 10:52 am

For what it’s worth I opted to use a FF barrel for a couple of reasons,
I got it cheap,
Got me shooting the dasher while waiting for my new barrel to come
Had brass all ready for when new barrel came
Saved rounds on my new barrel (formed up 300 rounds)
Gave me a spare barrel to use on club shoots to save round count on good barrel
The FF barrel turned out to shoot quite well so it is a nice spare to jut have

saum2

#9 Postby saum2 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:04 pm

RDavies wrote:If you are worried about eroding your barrel with extra fire forming shots, another alternative is to use Trailboss powder to fireform the cases, with some cheap and nasty 6mm plinking bullets. You could fore 100 rounds pretty quickly without heating up the barrel, eroding the throat or using up your precious supply of Bergers. It will still run the barrel in nicely without wearing it out.

How much Trailboss powder in a BR case to fire form? I going to use the false shoulder & jam method
thanks

RDavies

#10 Postby RDavies » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:11 pm

saum2 wrote:
RDavies wrote:If you are worried about eroding your barrel with extra fire forming shots, another alternative is to use Trailboss powder to fireform the cases, with some cheap and nasty 6mm plinking bullets. You could fore 100 rounds pretty quickly without heating up the barrel, eroding the throat or using up your precious supply of Bergers. It will still run the barrel in nicely without wearing it out.

How much Trailboss powder in a BR case to fire form? I going to use the false shoulder & jam method
thanks

I think I used about 11gns of trail boss which was nearly a full case. I would suggest starting with 10.0gns and if the shoulder didn't blow out fully, then bump up to 11-12gns which will be slightly compressed.

Gyro

#11 Postby Gyro » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:04 pm

I have been fire forming cases for a few years now with lead bullets ( been using lubed ones with a gas check fitted ) and Trail Boss powder. The cast lead bullets are cheap and they actually do a very nice job of polishing the leade.

I fire them in 25 shot lots then give the bore a quick scrub and leave it oily for the next 25 shot lot, then after firing the next lot give the bore a quick scrub again .... Start the firing with an oiled bore too. And just fire them into a bank.

I have been doing a preliminary neck turn first, then a final neck turn after fire forming, only because I'm still caught up in the old school thinking that perfect necks are where its at. I'm probably mistaken !!!

It all takes time tho to maybe gain an edge or maybe just to put your head in the right place that you've prepared yourself as best u can ?

Matt P

#12 Postby Matt P » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:45 pm

Gyro wrote:I have been fire forming cases for a few years now with lead bullets ( been using lubed ones with a gas check fitted ) and Trail Boss powder. The cast lead bullets are cheap and they actually do a very nice job of polishing the leade.

I fire them in 25 shot lots then give the bore a quick scrub and leave it oily for the next 25 shot lot, then after firing the next lot give the bore a quick scrub again .... Start the firing with an oiled bore too. And just fire them into a bank.

I have been doing a preliminary neck turn first, then a final neck turn after fire forming, only because I'm still caught up in the old school thinking that perfect necks are where its at. I'm probably mistaken !!!

It all takes time tho to maybe gain an edge or maybe just to put your head in the right place that you've prepared yourself as best u can ?

Not a truer comment has been written !!!! :D :D :D :D

Return to “Equipment & Technical”