Mound Setup 101

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tim L

Re: Mound Setup 101

#31 Postby Tim L » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:58 pm

One thing i found that the Auspod provides but the joypod doesn't is confirmation of consistant rifle positioning. When realigning for the next shot, if the crosshairs arent pretty much x ring height, something is wrong. I found that if i just wound down/up (always up before taking the shot) then my elevation grew. If i took the time to reposition correcly, so only tiny adjustments on pod height were needed (always up before taking the shot) then elevation was minimal. The joypod doesn't offer this beyond having a feel for where the wand should be.
I invested in a highspeed camera a little while ago and filming bullet exit was 'interesting'. I free recoil FTR and generally find im a full target left after sending the shot. I was concerned, so tried different angles on the gun to reduce it. The high speed film however shows the bullet has gone before the muzzle moves. It also shows that the joypod isnt on the mat/board/plate as the gun recoils. Torque loads up the legs and the pod litterally jumps off the surface as it moves back. The muzzle doesnt actually move sideways untill the stock hits the shooters shoulder. The bullet is well gone by then. The auspod doesn't do this it just slides back. I'm assuming its because the straight leg design drives the torque straight into the ground rather than flexing the leg.
I'm still learning to use the camera, and moreso the software (the files are HUGE) but it's revealing to be able to see whats actually happening.

Tim L

#32 Postby Tim L » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:07 pm

20191020_200533.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UL1700

#33 Postby UL1700 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Nice info Tim! I too have found that the Auspod when set up well keeps elevation nearly perfectly and I can go 12 shots without doing anything more than sliding the rifle forward and backward to keep it cantered. When the setup is off though, it's an absolute prick, lesson learned I guess, if it’s not tracking right get-up and start again (which the SEB disguises)! I also shoot Ftr almost free recoil but with the Auspod can when all my stars align keep the crosshairs in the black or at least on my target.

James

UL1700

#34 Postby UL1700 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Tim L wrote:20191020_200533.jpg

Very cool =D> What equipment did you use to get that image?

Tim L

#35 Postby Tim L » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:31 pm

Its a Kronos, from Canada.
It can go to about 17500 fps but I'm still learning what speed, appature and f stop settings work best for what. I actually got it to do primer testing but couldn't resist trying to catch a bullet. :)

UL1700

#36 Postby UL1700 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:30 pm

For what it's worth, I was videoing my wife shoot her SAUM the other day and she is totally motionless behind the rifle (to the point where I thought I hadn't pressed play until another rifle was fired) and her position is the same shot after shot, range after range. It just seems to come naturally to her in a way that I can't help but fidget then when then my condition comes back I'm often not prepared although I am getting better at shooting with both eyes open lol

jsa54

#37 Postby jsa54 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:53 pm

Going through a rough patch so have re-read this Setup thread a number of times. Apart from the last Nats when my front Farley rest and rear Seb bag rolled around on top of the grass like flat bottomed barges in a cyclone, I was getting pretty consistent results and reasonable groups etc. And I normally free recoil including with the SAUM. But since then one or two (or possibly more) wheels have fallen off, in particular I now often get flyers well into the 5 ring at 5 o'clock and the occasional flyer at 10 o'clock.
There is plenty of advice coming from the audience behind ranging from use full shoulder pressure into the front stop along with a tight grip through to "take up netball."
One thing I have done to reduce the torque effect is to not tighten up the front bag side panels bolts so much; the bag sides now just lightly limit any sideways movement. But the 5 o'clock issue is still there.
My stock is a good straight design with plenty of length and the action is well bedded thanks to my top notch gunsmith (LRP).
So any suggestions please? I am putting in extra care to make sure the stock tracks straight through the front rest (at right angles) and rear bag. I also check the butt placement in the rear bag to ensure no interference from either the grip area or recoil plate fittings during recoil.
And I am doing my utmost to try to use correct trigger techniques but am I unwittingly pulling the trigger to the left or pushing it to the right? Do I need to put some very light shoulder pressure into the butt?
Most grateful to receive suggestions, thank you, but I am not shaving my legs for netball.

GSells

#38 Postby GSells » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:14 pm

Alpie wrote:Going through a rough patch so have re-read this Setup thread a number of times. Apart from the last Nats when my front Farley rest and rear Seb bag rolled around on top of the grass like flat bottomed barges in a cyclone, I was getting pretty consistent results and reasonable groups etc. And I normally free recoil including with the SAUM. But since then one or two (or possibly more) wheels have fallen off, in particular I now often get flyers well into the 5 ring at 5 o'clock and the occasional flyer at 10 o'clock.
There is plenty of advice coming from the audience behind ranging from use full shoulder pressure into the front stop along with a tight grip through to "take up netball."
One thing I have done to reduce the torque effect is to not tighten up the front bag side panels bolts so much; the bag sides now just lightly limit any sideways movement. But the 5 o'clock issue is still there.
My stock is a good straight design with plenty of length and the action is well bedded thanks to my top notch gunsmith (LRP).
So any suggestions please? I am putting in extra care to make sure the stock tracks straight through the front rest (at right angles) and rear bag. I also check the butt placement in the rear bag to ensure no interference from either the grip area or recoil plate fittings during recoil.
And I am doing my utmost to try to use correct trigger techniques but am I unwittingly pulling the trigger to the left or pushing it to the right? Do I need to put some very light shoulder pressure into the butt?
Most grateful to receive suggestions, thank you, but I am not shaving my legs for netball.

Hi Mate , there is a lot to break down here . I haven’t competed, hang on not even shot a rifle in about 12 months bare yesterday, getting ready for Crows Nest opm.
But when I was on the worlds development team way way way back I had very similar issues.
I’ll get back to u next few nights and see if we can break this down a bit ??

Regards G Man !! Lol! ( Graham ) .
Last edited by GSells on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GSells

#39 Postby GSells » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:16 pm

Anyway I’ll start a few simple questions for tonight? What scope do u have and mounts ?
Can you group consistently at 100 m’s or do u see the same thing happening?
Sellsy!

willow

#40 Postby willow » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:00 pm

GSells wrote:Anyway I’ll start a few simple questions for tonight? What scope do u have and mounts ?
Sellsy!

Whatever problem ALpie had disappeared in time for the NSW Queens and lead up...he shot very well.

GSells

#41 Postby GSells » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:48 pm

willow wrote:
GSells wrote:Anyway I’ll start a few simple questions for tonight? What scope do u have and mounts ?
Sellsy!

Whatever problem ALpie had disappeared in time for the NSW Queens and lead up...he shot very well.

That’s great to hear ! Can be very frustrating trying to find the glitches in your shooting !

Return to “Equipment & Technical”