Barrel Change

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

Barrel Change

#1 Postby scott/r » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:16 am

I'm getting a barrel changed over this week and I got to thinking about the threads on the barrel and in the action. Do you put anything on them, as in an anti seize or a thread seal? I'm gathering you would keep locktite as far away as possible.
Forgive my ignorance about this, but it's something I've not had anything to do with.
Scott.

Rich4

Re: Barrel Change

#2 Postby Rich4 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:23 am

Antisieze is excellent, any lube Is better than nothing, but stainless will grab real easy

Steve N

#3 Postby Steve N » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:54 am

Scott I use white lithium grease from a spray can. Just spray it into the lid of the can then work it into the threads with my fingers. Not messy at all and works well.

williada

#4 Postby williada » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:13 pm

Scott, stainless has a tendency to gall and those that use switch barrels regularly, wear the threads and often miss reference marks on the barrel and action even if using a torque wrench. Its a good idea, as Rich4 has said to use antisieze or something similar to avoid the issues. Many an action has been wrecked by amateurs who "Locktight" barrels into place and the bunny undoing them is unaware it has been locktighted and overdoes the extraction. Mind you, Anshutz small bore rifles do Locktight the barrel in place. This requires a yellow flame (less heat) with expert torch application so that component heat treatment is not altered to relieve the Locktight and then remove the barrel. The crests and troughs of threads should not touch and bind. Any other hard stuff injected in there interferes with the normal expansion of the joint as things heat up. A common source of POI change when thread crests bind.

BRETT B

#5 Postby BRETT B » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:51 pm

BEWARE using Antisieze!! Some not all actually have metal in them and can cause premature wear!! A good lithium or heavy pound out grease will do the job just fine..
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Rich4

#6 Postby Rich4 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:25 pm

I would suggest that if antisieze is wearing out your tenon threads you may wish to sharpen the threading tool, most have “metal” in them, some metals are in fact lubricants.

Matt P

#7 Postby Matt P » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:36 pm

IMO anti seize isn't required in this type of application. A EP style grease is a much better option. I use either "moly grease" or white lithium grease.
Matt P

scott/r

#8 Postby scott/r » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Cool, thanks guys. Much appreciated.
Scott.

KHGS

#9 Postby KHGS » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Moly or graphite grease is best, but best to apply to the receiver rather than the barrel and keep it off the receiver face.
Keith H.

pjifl

#10 Postby pjifl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:07 am

The worst situation for seizing is a stainless barrel in a stainless action. Far less of a problem with stainless against hardened black steel. I hate loctite or some other 'glue' on barrel threads. It is almost impossible to clean all of the compound out of the action threads and is unnecessary. It is even worse in Riflescope threads unless absolutely necessary on parts never to be disassembled.

Peter Smith.

ben_g

#11 Postby ben_g » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:19 am

I use Moly grease as well and change out barrels every other week, have just been working it into the threads on the barrel, but will now try Keith’s suggestion of applying it to the action threads.

mike H

#12 Postby mike H » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:42 am

In my ignorance I have used a product called ROCOL Nickel Anti—Seize Compound,the product description states that it doesn’t contain sulphur or copper.My barrels are not swapped a lot,they seem to assemble and disassemble without any problems,have used the product since 2006.What do you Gunsmiths and engineers think
Mike.

BRETT B

#13 Postby BRETT B » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:44 am

Morey's BIGFOOT EP2 Lithium based grease is the best I have used for barrels and bolt lugs. It is sticky as SNOT and has an extremely high pound out rating on the Timken Scale. Worst bit is trying to get the shit into the little grease syringe !!
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Rich4

#14 Postby Rich4 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:33 pm

mike H wrote:In my ignorance I have used a product called ROCOL Nickel Anti—Seize Compound,the product description states that it doesn’t contain sulphur or copper.My barrels are not swapped a lot,they seem to assemble and disassemble without any problems,have used the product since 2006.What do you Gunsmiths and engineers think
Mike.

I wouldn’t get too wrapped up in it, any lube is better than no lube, I haven’t used rocol other than their cutting fluid years ago, however any antisieze should be fine, I’ve used many brands over the years and their best use is preventing cold welding of differing metals more so than assembly pressures, cheers Rich

KHGS

#15 Postby KHGS » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:22 pm

ben_g wrote:I use Moly grease as well and change out barrels every other week, have just been working it into the threads on the barrel, but will now try Keith’s suggestion of applying it to the action threads.

It is a good product, I have used it, it is no better than my preferred grease's.
Keith H.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”