Omark M44B action screws

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

david6855

Omark M44B action screws

#1 Postby david6855 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:11 am

My Omark M44B has 3 holes in the receiver for an extra action screw through the stock but no hole in the stock, is there any advantage to having the extra screw? I am about to bed the action so wondering whether to use the 3rd screw or not. Cheers

williada

Re: Omark M44B action screws

#2 Postby williada » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:08 pm

David, if the recoil lug screw was not used but two new holes, one in the middle and one about an inch behind the recoil lug were we left the tang screw out. If the recoil lug screw was used, we used the tang screw. Three screws in our opinion were not needed to get best results and there was a danger with a soft action of bowing it, then effecting the contact of the locking lugs. The only hardened section in an Omark is the barrel where the locking lugs contact in it internally. Other actions are hardened and do not lock in the barrel. So I would not worry about the third screw and put less tension on the rear with most on the front screw. If you are on pillars or a bedding block then the tensions can be firm and equal on both screws. If bedding on the wood 15 inch pound on the tang and 30 inch pound on the front. If bedding on pillars etc. 45 -55 inch pound on both depending on stock resonance when you tap it in the vertical at the muzzle and butt to tune it like a guitar for vibration.

david6855

#3 Postby david6855 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Thanks for that, I have been using the recoil lug and tang screw, at 55 in lbs. What sort of resonance should I get when I tap the butt or muzzle?
Also another question, is there any merit in filling in the recess on the right side of the action where the safety catch was meant to be and make more area available for the tang bedding?

williada

#4 Postby williada » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm

David if you hold the stock between two fingers and thumb at the front screw in a vertical position and give the muzzle a tap with the other hand you will feel a hum in the holding hand. Then tap the butt to see if it gives a similar hum feel. If the feel is dull and not resonant feeling the setup is out of tune and can indicate uneven bedding, the barrel touching somewhere or a number of things putting extraneous stress in the system. I always use a dial gauge on a magnetic stand attached at the front of the action with the arm extending to the tang which will indicate action bend when screws are tightened. There should be no stress in the action.

With regards to filling in the safety catch area it does make more area available for bedding and is a good idea if using heavy tension on the tang.

6.5x55ai

#5 Postby 6.5x55ai » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:48 pm

I have had excellent performance from my old Omark with the tang completely free floating.
I drilled and taped a new hole just fwd of the trigger. My bedding starts just back from this screw and extends past the king screw.
I was intially concerned that the distance between the 2 screws would be too short for proper action and barrel support. I am running a very strong non compressible all alloy stock, skim bedded. The barrel is TR weight/profile probably equivalent to a std Palma.
Both screws are torqued at 6.5 Nm.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”