To turn or not to turn

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tim L

Re: To turn or not to turn

#16 Postby Tim L » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Tim N wrote:So what is Tim L doing with a saum??

Loading for it. Mim L has the SAUM :wink:
Phoebe L has the 6.5 SLR and 6 dasher.
Tim is sticking with 308 :D

GSells

#17 Postby GSells » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:04 pm

Tim I’ve done both neck turn and not neck turn and I can’t see a real difference. My .280 ai and 7-08 ai are both tight necks and they both shoot . Then I have 2 .284’s no turn and they both shoot . I think it comes down to brass and how good the reamer and specs are and who did the chamber job ?

My Saum is .312 tight neck but haven’t got it out of the cupboard yet but I believe and no reason not to. That it will do well too!

If I had a feeling or inclination of a tight neck . I would say it is slightly more accurate. But with so many variables, it’s hard to make head or tail of it .
G man 8)

GeneV

#18 Postby GeneV » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:18 pm

to turn or not to turn depends of how tight rifles NK diameter is imho
NK of my custom f-tr rifle is 0.338" and i turn my lapua palma brass to 0.0135"
NK of my factory produced RugerPR(308win) is 0,346" and i see no reason to turn here

Rich4

#19 Postby Rich4 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:41 am

My gut feeling is a tight throat and plenty of bearing surface exposed has the same effect as turning for LR, especially when you consider that turning originated from short range BR, short throats-long necks tangent ogives, the case becomes the throat, plus long range environmentals in the real world are far more influential than short range BR, tight necks hurt nothing (unless they are ignored) but are a bit needy, however the old massive factory clearances were too much the other way, the debate on turning seems to often miss the difference between “have to” and “want to” and the fact that most people must live with whatever chamber specs/ brass combo they are given, also it would be hard not to argue that brass specs have tightened considerably now, all my dubious opinion though, cheers Rich

ajvanwyk

#20 Postby ajvanwyk » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:55 am

Tim L wrote:Thanks Keith.
I was just reading a chat on accurate shooter that a 300 wsm body with a 7mm 08 mandrel works,,,, (both available in Aus)

Think i might just send a couple of cases to Lee though.

Tim L,

The chamber you have is .316 and therefore needs turned cases. The cases you have, have been turned down to .014 wall thickness which with a seated round will be between .311 - ,312 OD, providing 2thou clearance either side. With a Wilson/Redding FLs die and a .310 bushing, you are good to go.
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

BRETT B

#21 Postby BRETT B » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:56 am

Tim N , its quite simple really , If your goal is LONG RANGE PRECISION !! Then prep your Brass with PRECISION .... Period!!!
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Tim L

#22 Postby Tim L » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:08 pm

ajvanwyk wrote:
Tim L wrote:Thanks Keith.
I was just reading a chat on accurate shooter that a 300 wsm body with a 7mm 08 mandrel works,,,, (both available in Aus)

Think i might just send a couple of cases to Lee though.

Tim L,

The chamber you have is .316 and therefore needs turned cases. The cases you have, have been turned down to .014 wall thickness which with a seated round will be between .311 - ,312 OD, providing 2thou clearance either side. With a Wilson/Redding FLs die and a .310 bushing, you are good to go.

Thanks Albert,
I'm good to go then, bar screwing it in :)

KHGS

#23 Postby KHGS » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:18 pm

BRETT B wrote:Tim N , its quite simple really , If your goal is LONG RANGE PRECISION !! Then prep your Brass with PRECISION .... Period!!!

Aahhh, but the definition of "precision" is the thing! For some it is doing every possible thing under the sun (nothing wrong with that) for me it's doing the minimum required!!! :D :D :D
Keith H.

Tim N

#24 Postby Tim N » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:35 am

Thanks for all the replies.
Only thing to do is try it and see I suppose.
I’m thinking of trying the Lee collet die regardless if I turn the necks or not.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Tim L

#25 Postby Tim L » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:35 pm

Tim N wrote:Thanks for all the replies.
Only thing to do is try it and see I suppose.
I’m thinking of trying the Lee collet die regardless if I turn the necks or not.

I love the Lee collet die, i believe it does more than it says on the tin. No need to neck turn as neck wall thickness does not effect concentricity. I also believe it does actually knock the shoulder back if set up correctly. I have not FL or body sized any of my 308 brass for years, and its not as if I treat it gently!

Tim, if you have to get one from Lee Custom please drop me a message I'll go in with you for 2 :)

Tim N

#26 Postby Tim N » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:18 am

Hey Tim
Lee emailed me about a collet die for the saum and it will be a custom order
I have to send them 2 fired cases and 1 projectile
You think they could do a standard???
What is your chamber neck?
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Tim N

#27 Postby Tim N » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:23 am

I’ll send off my 2 fired cases and a Berger 180 to Lee for a custom die, Tim L and Ben G let me know if you want one

Return to “Equipment & Technical”