Should I go an 8 twist in a 7 mm?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

Re: Should I go an 8 twist in a 7 mm?

#16 Postby scott/r » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:49 pm

GSells wrote:
KHGS wrote:What Bruce said. 9 twist will handle any sensible to use 7mm bullet!! Unless you want to make some of the overweight bullets work......that no one else has been able to get to work ..........consistently and for what gain???? I imagine you have heard the term.....point of diminishing returns????
Keith H.

I totally agree with you Keith, no one has gotten the 190 elite hunters to work properly. At Gundy in a 8 twist they blew up if that’s what was being used . But had a very high x count . Is too much of a good thing bad . At some point spinning up such a heavy bullet can cause problems.

I haven’t seen too many 8 twists out there and maybe because it’s bettet to have a bullet reach the target for a 5 or 6 than a zero ?

Graham, rumour has it that it wasn't anything to do with the twist rate of the barrel causing the projectiles to hand grenade , but more to do with the silly speeds that they were being run at.
Scott.

Wingnut

#17 Postby Wingnut » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:25 am

Can’t speak for any other caliber, but the Krieger 5R 1:8 barrel on my 284W does the job well with 180 ELD-M’s and the Berger Hybrids. It has been incredibly easy to tune for and has shot exceptionally well providing I do my part. I haven’t had any issues with anything blowing up.

GSells

#18 Postby GSells » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:58 am

Wingnut wrote:Can’t speak for any other caliber, but the Krieger 5R 1:8 barrel on my 284W does the job well with 180 ELD-M’s and the Berger Hybrids. It has been incredibly easy to tune for and has shot exceptionally well providing I do my part. I haven’t had any issues with anything blowing up.

Thanks for the info , much appreciated . 180 eld’s and a 8 twist would shoot much better than a 9 twist. My groups opened up with eld’s from 900 yds onwards. I think the eld’s are a great projectile, but they didn’t work for me beyond 800 yds 9 twist . Or should I say it depends on the conditions too.

GSells

#19 Postby GSells » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:37 am

Deep breath..... ok I’ll come out !!
I’ve ordered a bart 8.5 twist 32” ! It will be chambered with the same reamer hopefully ( Pesco ) in another 280 ai . To add to my Saum . The 280 ai for me , has just been ultra reliable with 2209 and 2213 sc in combination of internal chamfering of the flash hole . 30-06 , 270 , 280, brass is around $2 per case . And I personally can’t see much difference in performance between a Saum and well tuned 280 Ackley. And I’m an Ackley tragic too ! My lil 7-08 ai which should have been retired long ago , still shoots like stink when I do my part !

However , next experience will be the Saum . I’ve got cases coming ( Norma $3 ea ) and dies . So it will be interesting to see if I can get it going better than the 280 ?? No doubt it will take me a bit to learn the cartridge. But there is so much info out there on a Saum . So hopefully it will be a short learning curve like it was for me and the 284 w .

Anyway, I broke my own rules on forums and sharing personal tech info ! [-X I guess I do ware my heart on my sleeve at times and that’s just me , love or hate it lol! :P

Much appreciated for the replies . Please do comment if you have an 8 twist working well . I’m sure it will benefit the fraternity. :D
Regards Graham

Return to “Equipment & Technical”