Brass prep

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Rich4

Re: Brass prep

#16 Postby Rich4 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:51 am

What annealing method does everyone use, I’ve been surprised by the amount of people who do, I saw one amp, gas by hand or machine?

Rich4

#17 Postby Rich4 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:59 am

GSells wrote:I hate case prep and reloading . I would love a bullet Fairy!! Every time I opened up my ammo box , it magically refills with perfectly weight sorted , primer chamfered, neck turned , annealed , powder to the kernal , 180 hybrid to the 3 thou , harmonically tuned 60.10 ammo ! :mrgreen:

Never emptying Tim tams :lol:

GSells

#18 Postby GSells » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:20 am

Rich4 wrote:What annealing method does everyone use, I’ve been surprised by the amount of people who do, I saw one amp, gas by hand or machine?

Rich I do mine by hand , I love the amp machine but with all my other hobbies, I can’t seems to find the $2000.00 . I use a map torch spun up cases in a drill and a dark room . Same as Cam Mac use to do . It’s another skill thing that one can get the hang of after a while hopefully lol!

Tim L

#19 Postby Tim L » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:51 am

Tim N wrote:
Tim L wrote:
ShaneG wrote:Anneal before resizing

I used to but it meant 2 passes through the die.
I realised that before I had the AMP I woulld only anneal every 3 firings and still had great results. So I changed from popping primers, cleaning, annealing and neck sizing to popping primers and neck sizing in one, then cleaning and annealing.

I anneal first then process the cases
As far as popping primers go I thought the FTR crew did that during the firing of cases :)

Popping primers with the trigger is easy enough. Tipping them out of the action after each shot is a bit of a pain though :D

Tim N

#20 Postby Tim N » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:11 am

GSells wrote:I hate case prep and reloading . I would love a bullet Fairy!! Every time I opened up my ammo box , it magically refills with perfectly weight sorted , primer chamfered, neck turned , annealed , powder to the kernal , 180 hybrid to the 3 thou , harmonically tuned 60.10 ammo ! :mrgreen:

I’m with you up till the perfect scores- that would become boring fast
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Bigtravoz

#21 Postby Bigtravoz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:51 pm

New brass, buy good brass like Peterson, or some of the other ones. Debur and chamfer the flash hole, weigh each case and sort into order of weight, after reaming the primer pockets. Once fireformed to the chamber trim and check water capacity of each case, sort into order of capacity. Maintain the position of each case in the case Gard box. After each firing clean by hand, neck size and deprime, then anneal, maintaining the order of the cases, body size then neck size again to ensure no donuts. Body sizing to zero bump on the neck shoulder junction. Then bang in a primer and fill with powder using a lee dipper or one out of a fertiliser packet and seat a projectile to wherever you screw the seater to. Lmao.

Some of this I actually do. Some I don’t. Figure out which bits I am not joking about.

Rich4

#22 Postby Rich4 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:32 am

Ratgun wrote:Any chance of a video using the lathe method

Sorry I did manage to make a video, however posting it seems beyond me, accurate shooter has an excellent description with pictures of the process, where I found it, originally written about by Mike Bryant, nothing new about turning on a mandrel though, hope that helps Rich

RDavies

#23 Postby RDavies » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:04 am

So you trim BEFORE you fire the cases for the first time? I only trim after first firing.

But I neck turn or at least skim everything as it wont hurt, it might help, and is cheap and easy to do with the case spinning in a hand held drill. (actually my new batch of brass is getting two neck turns)

RDavies

#24 Postby RDavies » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:05 am

Tim N wrote:

I’m with you up till the perfect scores- that would become boring fast

If you do get some ammo like that and get bored with it, let me know, I will come round and get it off you.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”