Tips for those with an open mind

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Matt P

Tips for those with an open mind

#1 Postby Matt P » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:52 am

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thread ... y.3990694/
Tips on adding another string to your bow.
Matt P

KHGS

Re: Tips for those with an open mind

#2 Postby KHGS » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:36 am

Matt P wrote:http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/shooting-tips-practice-shooting-fast-and-accurately.3990694/
Tips on adding another string to your bow.
Matt P

Do you mean that it's not cheating to shoot fast??? So it really is a "skill" that must be learned just like any other skill?? Funny that is exactly what I have been saying forever :) :) :). I taught myself to shoot fast when I was a target rifle shooter, so when I transited to F-Class Open I worked on honing my skill to shoot fast. There is a time to shoot quick and equally important is to recognise when NOT to shoot quick :) :) :). As an aside there were target rifle shooters who could shoot much quicker than me, just as there are F-Class shooters who are quicker than me too.
Keith H.

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:24 am

Okay Matt, bait taken :D .

Here's another sport where you're trying to do something that your equipment isn't designed for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvxrJx2JdSg

UL1700

#4 Postby UL1700 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:53 am

argh

#5 Postby argh » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:35 am

Keith has nailed it. Its a skill you should learn and have in the kit bag just in case you need it. Also, if you can practice and master shooting fast, then the coordination that you learn works well when shooting slower.
And, more importantly, you need to learn when is the time to run a condition, be ready to stop and adapt if condition changes happen. And when to have patience and carefully watch the condition, shooting on a "known" consistent wind.... i sometimes lack the patience to wait for the wind to fully settle.

sungazer

#6 Postby sungazer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:36 am

In Service rifle you can. The rapid fire details are still in the SSrs. We run a 303 day every year.

wsftr

#7 Postby wsftr » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:54 pm

aah - I see - shoot fast like a bench rest'r...now thats what I aspired to when I took up F-class. :P
It used to be shooting fast meant as soon as the target was ready...now it means its as fast as I can load and fire...definitely a skill to do that well no argument.
Now if only there could be even more responsive technology to keep up with me! :P

Tim N

#8 Postby Tim N » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:41 am

Argh makes an interesting point that mastering fast shooting will help when shooting at a slower pace, my guess it would be a small percentage but when the odd shoot is won on the x count that small improvement could be what bumps you up the list.
Smooth rifle handling and being able to load without taking your eyes off the conditions, all help.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

GSells

#9 Postby GSells » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:14 am

It’s definitely a skill which I do use as well as shooting slow . I think for me the next step is to have the nerve to wait out the rough stuff for the allotted time or at least till the 3 minute warning and with the speed that I can now shoot hopefully jag a better condition. In Wa I don’t think once I had a 3 min warning at all because I just didn’t have the guts to do so . It will come ! [-o<

GSells

#10 Postby GSells » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:15 am

Also for the record I’m now in the no delay camp for ET’s :mrgreen:

williada

#11 Postby williada » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:19 am

Gman, I think you have to have a foot in each camp on this one, depending on conditions. But I can say, some barrels do not tolerate various degrees of cooling with variable time intervals in waiting things out. Tests from the machine rest at 1000 yards from a dozen different barrels I used performed best in elevation the faster I shot back circa 2002/3.

GSells

#12 Postby GSells » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:22 pm

williada wrote:Gman, I think you have to have a foot in each camp on this one, depending on conditions. But I can say, some barrels do not tolerate various degrees of cooling with variable time intervals in waiting things out. Tests from the machine rest at 1000 yards from a dozen different barrels I used performed best in elevation the faster I shot back circa 2002/3.

David , I totally agree with one foot in each camp !

KHGS

#13 Postby KHGS » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:19 pm

GSells wrote:
williada wrote:Gman, I think you have to have a foot in each camp on this one, depending on conditions. But I can say, some barrels do not tolerate various degrees of cooling with variable time intervals in waiting things out. Tests from the machine rest at 1000 yards from a dozen different barrels I used performed best in elevation the faster I shot back circa 2002/3.

David , I totally agree with one foot in each camp !

As I have said before, the trick is to know when to shoot quick and when not to. One must hone one's skills to be able to do both as required and recognise the time to do either. You must be able to "run the gun" and to "pick and shoot", you won't always get it right, but you need to train for both to optimise your chances. As an old and very experienced successful target rifle shooter once said to me "sometimes the bull is the bull and sometimes it is the four and other times it can be the target" very wise words, thank you Eric Thompson!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> You were and are right!!!
Keith H.

wsftr

#14 Postby wsftr » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:02 pm

no delay - 5+ seconds per shot over a string adds up to a heap more wait time for that condition to come back.
personally I think its less about the ability to shoot fast and more about the impact on decision making.
Time pressure does weird things to people and the choices they make.

Mozzie

#15 Postby Mozzie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Time restraints ?
Please enlighten me, how much time is allocated to shoot ?
My truck doesn’t run on love, it runs on diesel.
However, I love my rifle and it runs on lead. #-o

Return to “Equipment & Technical”