Shooting glasses for F class

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tim N

Shooting glasses for F class

#1 Postby Tim N » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:50 pm

Just wondering how many people use them and what sort do you recommend?
Do you use different colours ?
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Tim L

Re: Shooting glasses for F class

#2 Postby Tim L » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:03 pm

I probably need to but need longer eye relief if i do.
As for colour I put lenses on the front. I find a UV filter clears up mirage a little. Colour is very much an individual thing.
Its a sahame NF dont use a standard thread on the rear, you'd get away with cheap lenses. When you put them on the objective you need good quality ones.

Toddy

#3 Postby Toddy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:34 pm

Tim N wrote:Just wondering how many people use them and what sort do you recommend?
Do you use different colours ?

I am glad you bought this up Tim. I am currently trying to decide which lenses to go with for my current persciption. Because I use bifocals I am somewhat limited to choices compared to multifocals. For example I can only get polarised lenses with 85% tint, which I find too dark to use with the rifle scope. I can get non polarised lenses around 55 % tint which is what I am leaning towards at the moment. I have spoken to others and recommend that the lenses are flat and not curved. Any pointers on tint shade and colour (brown or grey) would be appreciated here as well.
Cheers

Bart

#4 Postby Bart » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:34 pm

Tim L wrote:I probably need to but need longer eye relief if i do.
As for colour I put lenses on the front. I find a UV filter clears up mirage a little. Colour is very much an individual thing.
Its a sahame NF dont use a standard thread on the rear, you'd get away with cheap lenses. When you put them on the objective you need good quality ones.

I prefer shooting on overcast days and hence with the idea of a UV filter is interesting, you are saying it "clears up mirage a little"; do you mean it is still visible but the target clearer?

Thanks, Bart

Julian D

#5 Postby Julian D » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:56 am

Not sure if these would be beneficial to F Class, but Pilla make probably the best quality shooting glasses available. They use Zeiss lenses, and come in so many different colors, maybe 30 or 40 different shades, each one having a different level of light transmission & also color blocking qualities, for example, you can get lenses which will make blue sky look grey, cloudy sky look grey & not white, green grass look grey, it is all about making a definite contrast between the target & the background, they have ones that make black stand out, for when you are shooting black clays, which may be a help looking at an F class target, and as far as trap shooting goes, they are almost an unfair advantage.

They make prescription lenses which slip in behind the colored lens, which I think is the most practical way to go for shooters because you never have to replace the tinted lenses, just your script as your eyes change with age.
They are extremely comfortable to wear & weigh just about nothing. They aren't cheap, but I see them as an investment which no doubt improves your game.
I haven't been shooting much F class recently, so I cannot give an evaluation on how they perform behind a scope, but I would imagine they would be beneficial.

Tim L

#6 Postby Tim L » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:20 am

Bart wrote:
Tim L wrote:I probably need to but need longer eye relief if i do.

I prefer shooting on overcast days and hence with the idea of a UV filter is interesting, you are saying it "clears up mirage a little"; do you mean it is still visible but the target clearer?

Thanks, Bart

Provides better ' contrast' of the aiming mark is probaly the most accurate description I can give. I can see mirage but when it gets heavy I find it turns the aiming mark to 'mush'; just a grey blob with very indistinct rings (if I can see rings at all). With the filter I can still see the mirage effect (direction and intensity) but the filter gives me a better defined aiming mark.
I actually got 2. 1 is a full 58mm and i got a 58 to 37 reducer with a 37mm UV for when its really bright.

While I was looking at what worked it soon became very clear what worked for me didn't necessarily work for others. The UV filter improves the contrast for me and some others but for some it does nothing, and makes it worse for a few.
If you do want to try it, don't waste your money on cheap lenses. Putting them on the front means any imperfections are magnified by the scope. I got Hoya Ultra Premium

Bart

#7 Postby Bart » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:49 pm

Thanks Tim; I shoot in the Riverland of SA where the mirage can get interesting and we tend to watch it more than the wind flags on our home range.
I have shot at Lower Light at 800 metres when I was just aiming at a shimmering black blob; so I am going to try the UV filter.

Cliff Austen

#8 Postby Cliff Austen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:15 pm

Tim
Are you looking for tinted glasses or script glasses.
If you need tinted glasses you will need a lens that is red/bronze to give you best focus. At your age blue/green lenses can make you vision a bit blurred.
see under heading Lens Colour Selection. https://www.accurateshooter.com/technic ... -shooters/
If you need script lenses then you will need a good optometrist. After determining what your normal lens script should be they then adjust the script for shooting.
I use an optometrist in Nowra. With my eyes he knows what to do. My lenses are made in Israel. People such as Spec Savers etc are useless for me.
Cheers. Cliff

RDavies

#9 Postby RDavies » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:38 pm

I had my Decot Revel glasses specced with 2 separate lenses, in rose/red colour for bright days and a yellow colour for overcast days. With Decot, you can get your optometrist to recheck your eyes and add your prescription to your order. The optometrist who was the Decot dealer has left my town, but Tim, he has moved to about 2km away from where you live.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”