stuck cases

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

copper

Re: stuck cases

#16 Postby copper » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi all
I really appreciate you guys for your help! Many shooters wrote pages and pages for my problem. I tried everything under the sun, the same problem. then I had to pay a visit to my dear gunsmith. He had a look into the chamber with a borescope. Nothing wrong he said, but leave it here for further investigation. I got my barrel back after a few days and I went ahead to try. The good old days are back! Terrific.
But from the very beginning ,in my mind was the word " CHATTER" . I don't know if that's the case but my fire forming was OK as usual ,the head space was a bit too short by 0.007" but I never had a problem. That was my 5th Dasher barrel! So to cut the whole story short, it appears the problem is not there anymore . Thanks to all of you shooters,I really feel lucky.
Cheers
copper

Rich4

#17 Postby Rich4 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Great to see a follow up, would’ve been interesting to hear a definitive reason, really helps for future diagnoses

John T

#18 Postby John T » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:00 am

Hello copper.

This is your 5th Dasher, a discerning shooter. Have all of them been chambered with the same reamers (rougher and finisher)?

Did you fire-form your cases in an old barrel with the same chamber?

You mention that some of your fired cases had rough case walls, as well as being so tight after firing that you needed to belt them out with a rod. How did you lift your bolt and get it out?

Since then, your gun smith has done some work on the barrel and blue days are all of them gone.

It MAY be that your g-s was too gentle with the finisher (machine marks on cases, chamber too tight). A pass more or two with the finisher and voila! No marks, no tightness!

You know that you NEVER criticise your g-s; just as you NEVER criticise your marker; there's no return in that.

But you might, one day, in passing, ask what magic he wove to get your barrel to shoot.

Regards,
John T.

copper

#19 Postby copper » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:39 am

Hi John
The last barrel was chambered with a new set of reamers I was told. I fire formed the BR cases in the same barrel in question. I thought that the chamber was too polished and I made a few cases rough to see the difference. I never criticized my GS because he is very good and to this day, I'm not sure what the problem was. As you said, a light pass with the finisher fixed the situation?
Anyway, the other day, I shot a few rounds and all was good.
Cheers
copper

williada

#20 Postby williada » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:28 pm

Did a light pass of the reamer fix the shortfall in the head space issue Copper? Glad to hear all is well.

copper

#21 Postby copper » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:28 am

Hi williada
My GS said" I did a few little things in the chamber, not a great deal, see how you go" I didn't ask any more questions. Everything back to normal. I have to answer to KH about my fire forming. Yes I had tight case neck and jammed the projectiles into the lands. The is the way I've done for a long time and I never had issues. Yes I heard about all the other methods but I never went that way.
Cheers
copper

KHGS

#22 Postby KHGS » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:45 pm

copper wrote:Hi williada
My GS said" I did a few little things in the chamber, not a great deal, see how you go" I didn't ask any more questions. Everything back to normal. I have to answer to KH about my fire forming. Yes I had tight case neck and jammed the projectiles into the lands. The is the way I've done for a long time and I never had issues. Yes I heard about all the other methods but I never went that way.
Cheers
copper

Suggest you reread my post, What I have said in that post is very important for fireforming Dasher style cases and Ackley brass. I have some insight into what "failsafe" methods work 100% of the time. I am a big fan of Ackley chambers and have been cutting various configurations of these for over 40 years.
Keith H.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”