Interesting Muzzle Patterns

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

GSells

Interesting Muzzle Patterns

#1 Postby GSells » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 am

Hello all , I was just cleaning my .284 after a shoot on the weekend and noticed an interesting pattern with the tuner I use ( Larsen ) . Which is forward of the muzzle. Thought it maybe of interest?
C800305A-EA56-44E9-9A61-5161E45681E1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GSells on Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KHGS

Re: Interesting Muzzle Patterns

#2 Postby KHGS » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:59 pm

GSells wrote:Hello all , I was just cleaning my .284 after a shoot on the weekend and noticed an interesting pattern with the tuner I use ( Larson ) . Which is forward of the muzzle. Thought it maybe of interest?

You have a 5 groove barrel and the crown is good. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Keith H.

Rich4

#3 Postby Rich4 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:12 pm

I’m amazed at the variation in muzzle patterns, I’ve not seen two the same, don’t want to share what that quarter panel belongs to? :P

GSells

#4 Postby GSells » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Rich4 wrote:I’m amazed at the variation in muzzle patterns, I’ve not seen two the same, don’t want to share what that quarter panel belongs to? :P

The Quater panel belongs to My oldest Son’s 1965 Mustang . I believe you haven’t seen this one Rich , I’ll Try and pinch the keys maybe next fly shoot ! :lol:

Rich4

#5 Postby Rich4 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 pm

Sounds good to me, obviously you taught him good taste in cars :lol:

GSells

#6 Postby GSells » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:57 pm

KHGS wrote:
GSells wrote:Hello all , I was just cleaning my .284 after a shoot on the weekend and noticed an interesting pattern with the tuner I use ( Larson ) . Which is forward of the muzzle. Thought it maybe of interest?

Keith H.

Thanks Keith for you skilled analysis! Yes it’s my old pink pits Bart , still in its early mid 20’s as an analogy.

The pattern I’ve commonly seen is more of a star coming off each land . This one was very interesting in that around the edges where the shock wave and gases are “ conditioned “ and pressure wave are hopefully focused to a cone behind the projectile which is believed to help accuracy looks like a snowflake !!
I’m no physics professor and most of what I have learnt is off Willaidia . But this is the theory of the 11 deg crown . But somebody told me that they did a little testing and 12 deg was more suitable for conditioning!

I believe back boring the muzzle with the people that know that this was the way to condition the gases and even to maybe spin the gases and get rid of the rubbish behind the projectile as well !

So did all of this fancy stuff help ?
At 600 yds it felt the best it ever has ! I guess the target will tell the truth hey in the future ?

KHGS

#7 Postby KHGS » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:41 am

GSells wrote:
KHGS wrote:

Keith H.

Thanks Keith for you skilled analysis! Yes it’s my old pink pits Bart , still in its early mid 20’s as an analogy.

The pattern I’ve commonly seen is more of a star coming off each land . This one was very interesting in that around the edges where the shock wave and gases are “ conditioned “ and pressure wave are hopefully focused to a cone behind the projectile which is believed to help accuracy looks like a snowflake !!
I’m no physics professor and most of what I have learnt is off Willaidia . But this is the theory of the 11 deg crown . But somebody told me that they did a little testing and 12 deg was more suitable for conditioning!

I believe back boring the muzzle with the people that know that this was the way to condition the gases and even to maybe spin the gases and get rid of the rubbish behind the projectile as well !

So did all of this fancy stuff help ?
At 600 yds it felt the best it ever has ! I guess the target will tell the truth hey in the future ?

Aaah Graham, don't get caught up in the BS about crown design because that is exactly what it is BS and based on the fad of the day!! Over more than 40 years of full time professional gunsmithing I have cut every crown design ever dreamed up......guess what.....they all work perfectly, IF cut correctly. =D> There is an element to the design that I incorporate that adds to the life of the crown, accuracy is the same with or without it, don't ask what it is....trade secret, but any good gunsmith will know what it is! [-X As an aside there is a true story about a prominent benchrest shooter/barrel maker who damaged the crown of his rifle at a match. He borrowed a hacksaw, square and a bastard file and proceeded to cut a half inch off his barrel and file it square, then go to the firing point and win the next yardage!!!! =D>
Keith H.

pjifl

#8 Postby pjifl » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:05 am

I believe the latest fad is the Super Corona style Crown which mutates as the barrel wears.... One look and the opposition shit themselves.....

Seriously - just ensure that the pattern is symmetrical and the crown stepped sufficiently for protection.

Rich4

#9 Postby Rich4 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:54 am

:D I would have thought being a good cairns boy 8) you would prefer the Great Northern Crown, guaranteed to produce headaches when supplied to competitors :twisted:

BRETT B

#10 Postby BRETT B » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:24 am

While cutting the crown use Corona beer for cutting fluid then polish the crown with Toilet Paper and wet flour!! Any leftover Beer can then be used for medicinal purposes to get rid of the headache from believing everything you read on the Net...
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Azzopardi

#11 Postby Azzopardi » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:39 am

Like the way you think Brett. One problem, toilet paper! Can’t get it due to the Corona virus causing panic buying of the now rare paper. I’d use news paper but I get it electronically and wiping the both types of mussels with an iPad is problematic.

In the north we have reverted to mango leaves and crocodile skin. Bit rough but does the job. The trick is not to use a circular motion, parallel passes have a relaxing, I mean smoother result.

Brett, the use of Corona beer could isolate you due to current events. If you succumb to the corona virus due to the over consumption of the addictive beverage, look for a lady with limes disease to counter act the virus.
Regards,
Azzo

Return to “Equipment & Technical”