ES / SD reduction strategies

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Gyro

Re: ES / SD reduction strategies

#76 Postby Gyro » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:31 pm

YES AWESOME VID.

It would be rude of me to knock anything “argh” has given us here because it’s bloody good ! I shall add some of my ‘technical’ thoughts in a way aimed to add to the post and I completely apologise if I’m teaching some to suck eggs. I have LOTS to learn myself, but feel I have a good understanding of the process involved here.

I say first u have to want to be the best u can. I mean REALLY want it. The top guys don’t just grab their gun out of the cupboard the night before a shoot, grab some ammo and gear and off they go. What they do to get to the top is absolutely not laziness like that. Nothing is left to chance. A huge amount of preparation is done. It’s not like the rower says where u just hope it “comes together on the day”. The years of experience, all the testing that the shooter has done or sometimes gleaned from someone elses work …. so the top shooter ends up with a solid “package” that enables them to front up at a shoot and produce top level results. It takes years to get there.

F Class is very “gearcentric” ( a Litz word ? ) which translates to "the gear is very important". With TR the emphasis is a lot more on the shooter. So in F Class how do you know if your gear is any good ? And how are you going to know how to set that gear up on the mound in the best way ? Likely you’re just going to make a start with what you have and have a crack.

It’s complicated. Lots of folk might watch an F Class shooter win and reckon that he/she is a great wind reader. If only it was so simple. Remember it is sooooo much about the gear ! And setting the gear up PROPERLY with all that other heavy gear you carry to the mound.

Is your gun “tuned” for the load you are using ? Hugely important and obviously much easier to achieve, and actually truly know the gun is in tune when your gear is good and set up properly. What often happens with a novice shooter is they can never truly know if their gun is tuned because they have been testing off a flawed platform. The top guys could almost be shooting off a machine rest as their platform will be very stable and under control.

You need to drill down into all these aspects. The case prep and reloading. But as the man above says ( not God, argh ) ……… “ Many of the changes will on their own be lost in the noise of wind reading, atmospheric changes, and shooter error on the day of actual shooting”. SO VERY TRUE.

NB Nothing about ES/SD there folks but I would suggest it will always be there so it’s a relative thing and a more in depth discussion on that might be about mitigating its effects.

Rich4

#77 Postby Rich4 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:21 pm

So I will have to say that Argh has completely nailed the correct mindset and did it in a very thoughtful way and it’s a very good video, exactly my reason for posing the subject of Sd Es reduction strategies for discussion as I am actually trying to do something different as per the video, ie crosscheck there’s nothing I’ve missed as you don’t know what you don’t know, not in isolation but a smaller part of a complex system, also stimulating an interesting educational discussion many will benefit from, unfortunately like most I have limited resources to apply to this sport, so I have to be efficient with my time, firmly believing that every shot fired without learning something is wasted, thus an accurate gun is imperative to meaningful training, I’m not looking for a free ride merely a refined focus and the combined experience here is breathtaking, practice is a given and acquired through testing by default, surely this is more interesting to discuss than another covid meme or video
I hope this is taken in the right spirit, I don’t want to stifle advice merely portray where I’m coming from, huge thanks and appreciation to everyone for advice,cheers Rich

pjifl

#78 Postby pjifl » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:33 am

The post by Argh does sum up quite well many of the points raised in this thread.

I know what the Video on competitive rowing is trying to say but one cannot let emotion as much free reign in shooting.

I have started a new thread. It is loosely related to this topic but is far more general on any testing.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11885

Peter Smith.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”