Ezell barrel tuners

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Mozzie

Ezell barrel tuners

#1 Postby Mozzie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi
If anybody is using an ezell barrel tuner in either the heavy or new fluted light design, are you able to share your experiences please ? it would be very much appreciated. :D
Cheers
Mozzie
Last edited by Mozzie on Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My truck doesn’t run on love, it runs on diesel.
However, I love my rifle and it runs on lead. #-o

Gyro

Re: Azell barrel tuners

#2 Postby Gyro » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 pm

Mozzie wrote:Hi
If anybody is using an azell barrel tuner in either the heavy or new fluted light design, are you able to share your experiences please ? it would be very much appreciated. :D
Cheers
Mozzie

Do u mean "Ezell" Mozzie with an E ?

Mozzie

Re: Ezell barrel tuners

#3 Postby Mozzie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:52 pm

Gyro
Yep,
I can't shoot, can't spell either, but I can't be good at everything.
Cheers
Mozzie

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:12 pm

I haven’t seen one here and I don’t know exactly but I bet there might be some limitations getting them out of the USA. To be honest there are plenty of good tuner makers here and quite a few have at least one FCWC win to their credit. Mike Ezell does seem to be very knowledgeable on tuners but whether he has his tuners here or not I don’t know.

jasmay

#5 Postby jasmay » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:06 pm

Get yourself a huntsman, locally made in Qld, top quality finish, very easy to use and I’ve won many comps with them, including the National teams, 3 out of 5 rifles fitted with them on the team.

AlexE

#6 Postby AlexE » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:41 pm

jasmay wrote:Get yourself a huntsman, locally made in Qld, top quality finish, very easy to use and I’ve won many comps with them, including the National teams, 3 out of 5 rifles fitted with them on the team.

Do you bother cleaning the inside of your huntsman? Carbon build up that is hard to remove seems to be the downside to them, especially when using a slower burning powder

Mozzie

#7 Postby Mozzie » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:52 pm

Thankyou to all who have replied.
Barrel tuners seem to be draped in a shroud, or maybe I'm just paranoid about the workings of the dark arts.
So I have put a skeleton motif on my stock and embraced the darker side of fringed society and ordered a couple from BRT.
Let the voodo magic begin.

Redhawk

#8 Postby Redhawk » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:35 pm

AlexE wrote:
jasmay wrote:Get yourself a huntsman, locally made in Qld, top quality finish, very easy to use and I’ve won many comps with them, including the National teams, 3 out of 5 rifles fitted with them on the team.

Do you bother cleaning the inside of your huntsman? Carbon build up that is hard to remove seems to be the downside to them, especially when using a slower burning powder

I take mine off every time I clean the barrel 70-80 rounds and clean the carbon.

willow

#9 Postby willow » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:59 pm

Ezell barrel tuners are easy to get. I've got 2 on the way right now via Reloading International. They stock them and there's no paperwork required to get one. I've also got an Erik Cortina tuner sitting idly by.

Julian D

#10 Postby Julian D » Sun May 03, 2020 6:05 am

I have a PDT tuner on one of my FTR barrels, I know a prominent shooter here in Oz who also uses one.
From memory they are filled with tungsten powder for the dampening qualities. The testing I did with mine showed a lot of promise, and only small incremental adjustments made a lot of difference on the target.
The only issue I have with them are the 3 grub screws that lock it up onto the barrel, I could change my POI just by tightening those screws in different sequences.

I don't know the technical side of tuners, but I do know that I could get a load with a high ES to group really well at mid distances, after playing around with it.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”