BARREL LENGTH AND TUNERS

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

John T

BARREL LENGTH AND TUNERS

#1 Postby John T » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:16 pm

Hello.

My only dabble with tuners was the Shadetree. Devine also bumbled about with it and even tried 4 discs. I don't think either of us had a clue at that time. I gave up on them and Devine has marched on to be World Champion.

About that time I asked Geoff Hunt for his view on barrel tuners. This was early days for tuners. His cautious reply was that he did not think barrels of 28" and less gained anything from a tuner.

I don't remember why we all went from 28" to 30" barrels. Was it just for the extra 20fps?

If I shoot a 27" barrel, can I avoid the stress of a tuner?

Regards,
John T.

Brad Y

Re: BARREL LENGTH AND TUNERS

#2 Postby Brad Y » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Ask benchrest guys like gene bukys and mike ezell if tuners don’t work on less than 28 inches

BRETT B

#3 Postby BRETT B » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:49 am

John , Tuners generally only cause one's stress when the user does not have a good understanding of the mechanics and limitations of the Tuner.

PM Sent..
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

wsftr

#4 Postby wsftr » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:00 pm

Avoid the stress of a tuner - of course - they are not essential items - you can tune a rifle without one.
Are they stressful - IMO nope - we make it hard - heck you can put one on and never touch it if you wanted to.
Yip length is about FPS to get to the next node without over pressure....nothing to do with precision :) (arguably longer is less precise if you look at the trend in SR BR).

ben_g

#5 Postby ben_g » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54 pm

Tuners are a great tool, they wont fix a bad barrel or a poor load. But they will let you bring your group size in. They are the only adjustment you can make at an event short of taking different loads with you or loading overnight. Who wants to do that!!
I have only come to tuners in the last 18months and still have a few barrels that are 'naked'

I am in the process of running in a new 300WSM barrel, a few rounds over the chronograph to find the velocity window and then after a stage and a tweak of the tuner it put 5 into 1.3" at 600 yards.

As I have been increasing the powder charge and velocity I have been able to keep the group tight by winding the tuner in as I go (keeping record of tuner position against velocity). Without a tuner you have to shoot it at a velocity node, if your load speeds up or slows down at an event you have nothing left to fall back on.

As i shoot out my last 'naked' barrels the new ones will all be fitted with a tuner. Its just another lever you can pull while at an event, why wouldn't you have one??

Gyro

#6 Postby Gyro » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:50 am

Ben ; u make them sound very user friendly. What do u reckon is a good one for say a parallel diameter 30" F Open barrel ?

GSells

#7 Postby GSells » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:16 am

Nah waste of time , I wouldn’t have one ! Good being naked ( barrel of course, what were u thinking hey?) , especially for me being of Scandinavian background :mrgreen: . Especially stay away from orings or anything harmonic dampening! [-X

ben_g

#8 Postby ben_g » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:07 am

Gyro wrote:Ben ; u make them sound very user friendly. What do u reckon is a good one for say a parallel diameter 30" F Open barrel ?

As I said in my post I’ve only come to tuners recently and I only have three, all on short magnums (All are 1.25” parallel).
I am by no means an authority on how they work or how to adjust. The type I have is made by an F-class shooter down near Nowra. Les Rosznyai.

As for adjusting it, record keeping is key, I record tuner position against muzzle velocity. But at a simplistic level if the load speeds up turn tuner in to stay in the barrel tune, if the load slows then turn it out.

There are people who might want to explain the intricacies of what is actually happening when the tuner is moved, I just look at my targets and group size/shape and keep notes.

C469AA20-B0FC-4092-B22E-2833F8474AAD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gyro

#9 Postby Gyro » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:24 am

GSells wrote:Nah waste of time , I wouldn’t have one ! Good being naked ( barrel of course, what were u thinking hey?) , especially for me being of Scandinavian background :mrgreen: . Especially stay away from orings or anything harmonic dampening! [-X

When Mark F came to NZ he just had one of those Sims "Target Stabilizer Dampener"
rubber foreskin things on his Saum, about 6" back from the muzzle. Holy shit that gun shot well !

Gyro

#10 Postby Gyro » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:28 am

Awesome Ben nice to get some basic advice.

GSells

#11 Postby GSells » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:47 am

Gyro wrote:
GSells wrote:Nah waste of time , I wouldn’t have one ! Good being naked ( barrel of course, what were u thinking hey?) , especially for me being of Scandinavian background :mrgreen: . Especially stay away from orings or anything harmonic dampening! [-X

When Mark F came to NZ he just had one of those Sims "Target Stabilizer Dampener"
rubber foreskin things on his Saum, about 6" back from the muzzle. Holy shit that gun shot well !

I know I would have to be one of the biggest proponents of harmonic stabilisation and tuners .
So still don’t use them :mrgreen:

GSells

#12 Postby GSells » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:47 am

Gyro wrote:

I know I would have to be one of the biggest proponents of harmonic stabilisation and tuners .
So still don’t use them :mrgreen:

GSells

#13 Postby GSells » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:48 am

I wouldn’t leave home without anything rubbery or weighty or tuney if that’s a word lol!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”