Sweet's Oil

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Gyro

Re: Sweet's Oil

#31 Postby Gyro » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:46 am

KHGS wrote:Sounds like a mine field Keith. So when barrel "x" won't shoot and everything else is all top notch ( lets say it's a serious F Open rifle ) does the gunsmith straight away measure the bore ? And if they do how often is a problem found ?

Samples of the bullet to be used should be measured with a mic that measures to .0001", the actual measurement of the bullets will tell you what the accuracy problem (if there is one) is. Smaller diameter bullets are barrel selective, whereas barrels that are .0003" undersized are not bullet selective in regard to bullet size. These barrels will usually shoot all match bullets well. I am always wary of match bullets that are undersized they will shoot well in barrels that suit them, read tight barrels. If you have an accuracy issue with a given bullet the first order of business is to measure the bullet. If the bullet is indeed undersized it can be assumed that the barrel is true to size. If these bullets shoot well in another barrel it can be safely assumed that this barrel is "tight". As you say, this is after a full examination of the rifle does not uncover any. mechanical problem. As an aside, barrels that have shot well and have a low to moderate round count but "go off" the problem will more often than not be traced to carbon fouling or crown damage. This crown damage need only be very slight to create an accuracy deterioration.
Keith H.[/quote]

Sounds good Keith but surely if the boolit is being measured ya really need to be measuring the bore too, both lands and grooves ? I have a serious mic so that's no problem but can u explain the best way for me to get the bore measurements.

BTW I had a big name cut rifled target barrel measured once and the bore dimensions were NOT good. Very uneven cut depths. I got rid of it. My current barrel by the same maker has been very average in performance hence I'm getting to a place where I really want to know what's happening re the bore measurements. I started with the current barrel with Lapua scenars that measured 'oversize' and some very strange behaviours appeared on the range so I changed to another projectile that measured smaller and some of the problems went away and the on-target results improved dramatically.

I wonder too if the bullet to bore fit is excessively interference then that situation might be ok but with a slower powder, whereas running same with a faster powder will get u into excess pressure early ?

So without making this a looooong story about the barrels problems I would love to hear your advice Keith about how I can measure my bore. Regards Rob Kerridge

bsouthernau

#32 Postby bsouthernau » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:05 am

AlanF wrote:
I noticed on the bottle it says SHAKE WELL, and not having done that very often, I'm wondering if I'm getting a solution that is depleted in some way.

It's thixotropic and you shake it to make it runny. After sitting for a while it goes back to its normal viscosity.

AlanF

#33 Postby AlanF » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:01 pm

bsouthernau wrote:
AlanF wrote:
I noticed on the bottle it says SHAKE WELL, and not having done that very often, I'm wondering if I'm getting a solution that is depleted in some way.

It's thixotropic and you shake it to make it runny. After sitting for a while it goes back to its normal viscosity.

Just like tomato sauce :D .

KHGS

#34 Postby KHGS » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:44 pm

AlanF wrote:
bsouthernau wrote:
AlanF wrote:

Just like tomato sauce :D .

I would never put tomato sauce in my barrels!!!! :D :D :D
Keith H.

John T

#35 Postby John T » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:08 am

Keith,

You don't know 'till you've tried it! Some have ingredients hot enough to strip a sewerage pipe.

That said, no way would I put Sweet's Oil on anything I intended to smell, let alone eat.

KHGS

#36 Postby KHGS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:39 pm

John T wrote:Keith,

You don't know 'till you've tried it! Some have ingredients hot enough to strip a sewerage pipe.

That said, no way would I put Sweet's Oil on anything I intended to smell, let alone eat.

You do mean Sweet's solvent re the smell don't you John? Sweet's oil has a quite neutral smell, I believe it's main ingredient is neatsfoot oil, whereas Sweets solvent's main ingredient is ammonia.
Keith H.

Rich4

#37 Postby Rich4 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:25 pm

Absolutely unforgettable when sniffed unknowingly, :roll:

pjifl

#38 Postby pjifl » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:33 pm

There was a brew that many old timers made up using Neatsfoot Oil and a small amount of Phenol.

Of course they had Neatsfoot Oil on hand for application to Boots, and a diluted Phenol Compound in the form of 'Phenyle' used as a sanitizer around very old Hospitals - even back to Lister - and more recently around Dunnys and shearing sheds and dairy sheds. I believe one added a bit if Phenyle drop by drop until the mixture was just right - by what criterion I don't know.

I never used this esoteric mix but have seen Black barrels in quite good nick which survived its use. I suspect the slightly acid properties of the Phenol (basically a Benzene-OH compound) may have dissolved copper. Phenol was often an intermediate step in making some explosives, drugs and dyes.

Peter Smith.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”