Barrels and gunsmith

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Greyhound

Barrels and gunsmith

#1 Postby Greyhound » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:38 am

Hello guys,

I'm new to this forum. Please forgive me if it sounds like a rant. I would really like to hear what experiences others have had. I recently acquired a custom build panda action. The rifle itself is well made but it took over 19 months to build and the gunsmith only deals with one type of barrel. After investing signficant time and money I felt like the gunsmith was reluctant or unwilling to consider my preferences. Is this part of game or should I look elsewhere for future barrels and chambering?

whynot

Re: Barrels and gunsmith

#2 Postby whynot » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:36 pm

It is not against the law to change gunsmith

John23

#3 Postby John23 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Is the gunsmith old and in qld ?

Greyhound

#4 Postby Greyhound » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:56 pm

You would be correct.

Brad

#5 Postby Brad » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:11 pm

Lilja barrel?

Greyhound

#6 Postby Greyhound » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Correct again

John23

#7 Postby John23 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:46 pm

I also have a late model panda with a lija ppc barrel which is a great shooter.
The rifle failed on a practice day prior to a match with the trigger malfunctioning .

Turns out when it was glued in it was glued in with the trigger fitted and never checked .
I had a jewel full of epoxy .

I have also heard from others that things are not as good over the later years .

I would suggest you find a young dog that is still learning new tricks .
Where are you located ?

KHGS

#8 Postby KHGS » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:25 pm

John23 wrote:I also have a late model panda with a lija ppc barrel which is a great shooter.
The rifle failed on a practice day prior to a match with the trigger malfunctioning .

Turns out when it was glued in it was glued in with the trigger fitted and never checked .
I had a jewel full of epoxy .

I have also heard from others that things are not as good over the later years .

I would suggest you find a young dog that is still learning new tricks .
Where are you located ?

So........are you saying that all old gunsmiths are incompetent???? Surely not, the so called "young dogs" if they are smart should seek to learn from the old reputable gunsmiths who have done the hard yards and have much hard earned experience to offer. Some of these old gunsmiths are happy to share their experience those genuinely willing to learn, this is a resource that should be used not ignored. Two cents worth from an old gunsmith.
Keith H.

John23

#9 Postby John23 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:31 pm

Not at all Keith .

What I was saying is in my opinion the one in question is perhaps a little over the hill and when talking to the community stories like mine and other poor experiences seem to be a bit common .

Greyhound

#10 Postby Greyhound » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi John. Sorry to hear about your troubles on the range. I'm in Queensland myself. I certainly would not question a gunsmith's experience because theirs far exceeds mine. What I was getting at is some seem to install a variety of different barrels after talking with some shooters. Do most shooters stick with gun smiths in their own state out of convenience or is this not really factor at all.

willow

#11 Postby willow » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:00 pm

Greyhound wrote:Hello guys,

I'm new to this forum. Please forgive me if it sounds like a rant. I would really like to hear what experiences others have had. I recently acquired a custom build panda action. The rifle itself is well made but it took over 19 months to build and the gunsmith only deals with one type of barrel. After investing signficant time and money I felt like the gunsmith was reluctant or unwilling to consider my preferences. Is this part of game or should I look elsewhere for future barrels and chambering?

If he is set in his ways and not willing to consider other components that you prefer, then shop around dude.

Rich4

#12 Postby Rich4 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:47 pm

It could come down to his confidence in the end product, the desire to experiment with your income tends to diminish with experience and the accumulation thereof, but if your set on another brand I’m sure he would not be offended by your choice to have someone else fit it

Jason72

#13 Postby Jason72 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:01 pm

Greyhound wrote:Hello guys,

Just remember you are the customer and if you are willing to take full responsibility for the outcome then the gunsmith will do what ever you want if it is safe to do so. If they won't, go somewhere else. I have found though it is always good to consider their advice as they are the experts.
Their are quite a few good gunsmiths about so shop around and you will find one that suit you.

Cheers
Jason

PS, if you are in the Toowoomba / Hampton area we have two that I have used and both are excellent.

GSells

#14 Postby GSells » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:06 pm

I’m going to stick up for this gunsmith who has done most my work for the past decade . Nothing wrong with Liljas . The fabled 58.9 at last years Qld Queens to which i came 4 th overall was his work . Also won many things through the panda and Mac stock including a trans Tasman with a Wilddog cut Bart in the that Gunsmith’s built platform . Shot at a mile with the edge that he built and also a Lilja .
I used today that gunsmithed new .284 for a possible first detail since covid at 500 yds .also built my 7/08 ai which to this day stills hammers and for me a third at Trentham day 1 of the leadup 2018 .
Yes he can take time but he bit of an artist .
From my experience I seen shooters that use him shoot not that good and then those who are always up the top . So I can only conclude that the main thing is the nut behind the butt .

Nothing wrong with Lilja won 1000 yds at 2015 Nats with the above gunsmith . Think I’ve made
My point .
ECAEE045-EFCA-46CB-9344-3C8C49E9C7A6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DannyS

#15 Postby DannyS » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:25 pm

I have also had a couple of rifles made by this gunsmith and found his work to be top notch. But don’t try to hurry him.

I also appreciate that his reputation is at stake when he makes a rifle and therefore he isn’t interested in something that may or may not work. A lot of shooters will blame their equipment , whether it be Rifle, scope, ammo, gunsmith etc, anything but themselves .

Cheers
Danny
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”