Case weights

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

phillh

Case weights

#1 Postby phillh » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:59 am

Hello all,

I did an interesting test where I weighed 80 or so once fired ADI 308 cases. Picture attached, where there were some major differences in weight. From my base zero down to 30 grains lighter!
20200614_130955-2.jpg

I then reloaded them exactly the same and shot them at 800m yesterday and had the results I expected. The first 3 shots were with the base zero weight and the last were with the cases that weighed 30 grains lighter. Shot 7 must of been a bad shot as it was well out of the group. Shot in the sling.
Capture.JPG

These cases originally came from the new Outback Factory rounds with Sierra Projectiles. It looks like if the Factory round is to be used for a competition one should weight the overall round and batch them.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

argh

Re: Case weights

#2 Postby argh » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:59 pm

Hi phil, i had the reverse with ADI 308 cases, however that was unprimed brass, not the factory loads.
The variation was almost as close as i had seen with Lapua, around 1gr from high to low, with only 2 or 3 fliers around 4gr off that. I used ADI Brass exclusively for the last few years, only changing back to lapua early this year as i was chasing a higher load node and couldn't cram enough powder into the ADI cases.
Will be interesting to find out if the fliers came from different batches of the ADI ammo?

Cheers
Adrian

Return to “Equipment & Technical”