Primer pocket prep

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

UL1700

Primer pocket prep

#1 Postby UL1700 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:35 am

So a few years ago when I stated my journey into F class, a box of 308 Lapua brass was purchased, then sized, primed, charged fired, repeat. Now with various calibers and the brass being trimmed, turned, cleaned and sized in dies that cost more than my 1st rifle I realize that the primer pockets are still as they left the factory. With my local range (Lang Lang) once again closed due to Covid19 it has got me thinking what could I be doing to improve ignition performance and what tooling is recommended to do it accurately?

Cheers

James

ajvanwyk

Re: Primer pocket prep

#2 Postby ajvanwyk » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:25 am

I use a primer pocket uniformer from PMA, available at Hoplon Precision. Have used K&M and the adjustable 21st Century models.... absolutely love the PMA and use it after ever firing.

You can also uniform and debur the primer pocket. Here I found the K&M , available through BRT or SARA to work better than other models.
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

UL1700

#3 Postby UL1700 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:08 am

ajvanwyk wrote:You can also uniform and debur the primer pocket. Here I found the K&M , available through BRT or SARA to work better than other models.

Do you mean flash hole :?

ajvanwyk

#4 Postby ajvanwyk » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:52 am

UL1700 wrote:
ajvanwyk wrote:You can also uniform and debur the primer pocket. Here I found the K&M , available through BRT or SARA to work better than other models.

Do you mean flash hole :?

Yes.... that is what I meant :!: :oops:
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

UL1700

#5 Postby UL1700 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:09 pm

ajvanwyk wrote:Yes.... that is what I meant :!: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D>

lonerider43

#6 Postby lonerider43 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:06 pm

i uniform the primer pocket and chamfer it
then champhur the flash hole in there
and debur and chamfer the flash hole exit.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Rich4

#7 Postby Rich4 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:29 pm

I’m currently trying to prove to myself that it doesn’t help, in 308 it’s looking good so far :?

ben_g

#8 Postby ben_g » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:14 am

I use the KM pocket uniformer, and every firing I use it as it cleans out the pockets very quickly.

The only other thing I do is debur the inside of the flash hole with the KM tool

Does it help?? No idea but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy

UL1700

#9 Postby UL1700 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:02 am

lonerider43 wrote:i uniform the primer pocket and chamfer it

Do you have a measurable improvement with these modifications? Getting everything uniform makes sense to me in terms of reducing ES/SD but when it comes to actually changing the profile of the flash hole are you adding anything :?:

ben_g wrote:I use the KM pocket uniformer, and every firing I use it as it cleans out the pockets very quickly.

The only other thing I do is debur the inside of the flash hole with the KM tool

Do you worry about over-sizing with repeated use? With ultrasonic cleaning I find that the pockets come up nearly spotless anyway.

Has anyone tried the 21st Century bushed flash hole reamers?

Warm an fuzzy is the real name of the game :D

Trevor Rhodes

#10 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:50 pm

When your pocket uniformer is set it will not go any deeper just cleans any carbon out the pocket.

lonerider43

#11 Postby lonerider43 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:26 pm

UL1700 wrote:

Do you have a measurable improvement with these modifications? Getting everything uniform makes sense to me in terms of reducing ES/SD but when it comes to actually changing the profile of the flash hole are you adding anything :?:

ben_g wrote:I use the KM pocket uniformer, and every firing I use it as it cleans out the pockets very quickly.

Do you worry about over-sizing with repeated use? With ultrasonic cleaning I find that the pockets come up nearly spotless anyway.

i cant be sure if it helps anything at all,the aim was to get better cleaner burn and to seat the primers to the correct depth.
wini cases are not very uniform in the pockets.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

ben_g

#12 Postby ben_g » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:53 pm

UL1700 wrote:

Like I said warm and fuzzy. I’ve been doing it for so long I haven’t got non prepped brass to test as a baseline.
The primer pocket uniformer simple cleans the pockets after each firing without taking any more brass out as it can’t go any deeper.

Not sure deburring achieves much in Lapua brass. But like a lot of things in this sport it’s confidence in your equipment that leads you to competing well. I’m happy that my equipment doesn’t usually let me down at prize meetings. My grey matter on the other hand does let me down more regularly than I would like!!

willow

#13 Postby willow » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:32 pm

I used to deburr and chamfer my primer pockets, stopped doing that when I upgraded my ultrasonic cleaner, seems to clean them out quite well.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”