Misfires

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Willy

Misfires

#1 Postby Willy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm just starting out in F Class, I was shooting on Saturday and had a few misfires. I pulled the cartridges apart and two were obviously errors by the dimwit who loaded them (I don't want to talk about it) , but two were primers that didn't ignite. I'm sporting a 308 sportco 44 (AKA Omark, I believe). The primers are a little old, about 5 years, but the indentation from the firing pin seemed much shallower than on the rounds that fired normally. Does anyone have any insight on the matter? I have purchase new primers and ditched the old ones already, but am considering the possibility that it is my rifle. Any advice would be appreciated.
IMG_20200706_172916513.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John23

Re: Misfires

#2 Postby John23 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:42 pm

Have you pulled the bolt apart and cleaned the firing pin and bolt body of debris that might be fouling ?

lonerider43

#3 Postby lonerider43 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:09 pm

if all else seems ok,replace the firing pin spring.
if its an old rifle [used alot before you] replace it anyway.easy to do.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

KHGS

#4 Postby KHGS » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:13 pm

Omarks suffer from weak ignition at the best of times. Have your firing pin protrusion checked, replace the spring and if you have an adaptor and aftermarket trigger fitted have the firing pin fall checked. Make sure your primer pockets are cleaned and the primers seated against the bottom of the pocket.
Keith H.

6.5x55ai

#5 Postby 6.5x55ai » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:34 am

Decock the striker by twisting it. Then if you can recock it by hand (assuming average strength) the main spring has weakened.

As a matter of course I always de-cock my bolts when not in use.
(Wait now for the arguments that springs don't lose their set.)
Last edited by 6.5x55ai on Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

6.5x55ai

#6 Postby 6.5x55ai » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:37 am

Decock the striker by twisting it. Then if you can recock it by hand (assuming average strength) the main spring has weakened.

Is it just the photo quality but what is that strange pattern on the primer?

mike H

#7 Postby mike H » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:26 am

Five years old primers are not the problem,do as Keith said and all will be well.

Willy

#8 Postby Willy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:47 am

6.5x55ai wrote:Decock the striker by twisting it. Then if you can recock it by hand (assuming average strength) the main spring has weakened.

Is it just the photo quality but what is that strange pattern on the primer?

Do you mean the C shape? That's just the branding. I will try that with the bolt, it has sat clocked in the safe for a long time.

Willy

#9 Postby Willy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:49 am

KHGS wrote:Omarks suffer from weak ignition at the best of times. Have your firing pin protrusion checked, replace the spring and if you have an adaptor and aftermarket trigger fitted have the firing pin fall checked. Make sure your primer pockets are cleaned and the primers seated against the bottom of the pocket.
Keith H.

Sounds like a good plan, thanks.

Willy

#10 Postby Willy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:54 am

Does anyone know where I could source parts from?

Rich4

#11 Postby Rich4 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:04 am

Willy wrote:Does anyone know where I could source parts from?

I believe TSE (formally MAB)in Brisbane handles new parts, there have been some changes along the life of those old ladies though, but I’d start there :D

KHGS

#12 Postby KHGS » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:17 pm

Do you mean the C shape? That's just the branding. I will try that with the bolt, it has sat clocked in the safe for a long time.[/quote]

Therein lies your problem!! New spring will fix it.
Keith H.

superx10

#13 Postby superx10 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:16 pm

I copied this from a previous post I made
KHGS is on the money.

Well, so I thought and proceeded to blame the gunsmith for not getting the headspace correct. After driving about 280 km and having
many misfirings I was looking to blame someone, it must be a personality defect. So what was wrong. On measuring my firing pin extrusion on my Panda action it was measuring .045 or about 10tho under recommended, the cases I was were using were fired just once but on full-length sizing were about 8 tho under a fired round from shoulder to bottom of the case and the fact that I was using CCI small magnum primers a primer that has a reputation for tough skin. All this together made for the rifle not to fire.
I have since on taking my gunsmiths advice and jammed the projectiles with a decent amount of neck tension and used new brass wala they now go bang. Apology in-coming.

The link below is probably one of the best youtube clips on explaining headspace with the view of a cutaway chamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAgjvBxzng4

GSells

#14 Postby GSells » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:28 pm

superx10 wrote:I copied this from a previous post I made
KHGS is on the money.

Well, so I thought and proceeded to blame the gunsmith for not getting the headspace correct. After driving about 280 km and having
many misfirings I was looking to blame someone, it must be a personality defect. So what was wrong. On measuring my firing pin extrusion on my Panda action it was measuring .045 or about 10tho under recommended, the cases I was were using were fired just once but on full-length sizing were about 8 tho under a fired round from shoulder to bottom of the case and the fact that I was using CCI small magnum primers a primer that has a reputation for tough skin. All this together made for the rifle not to fire.
I have since on taking my gunsmiths advice and jammed the projectiles with a decent amount of neck tension and used new brass wala they now go bang. Apology in-coming.

The link below is probably one of the best youtube clips on explaining headspace with the view of a cutaway chamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAgjvBxzng4

Hey Scott , good to hear ya got it sorted !
I had the same problem with my Panda ( best action evvveeerrr loll !) on the weekend! I was in the middle of a ripper string then ...CLICK ! Then just got a bit out of sink with the wind and dropped a couple of 5’s very annoying! Same thing happened a fortnight ago , same range Dalby ! Click no bang but conditions were kinder and was able to get away with it !

But it always helps if you put primers in them to light the powder I found out !! Dohhh ! #-o

Tim L

#15 Postby Tim L » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:53 pm

GSells wrote:
But it always helps if you put primers in them to light the powder I found out !! Dohhh ! #-o

I also find a bit of powder on top of the primer to be lit is quite beneficial :? #-o

Return to “Equipment & Technical”