Scopes - FFP or SFP for F Class

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tim N

Re: Scopes - FFP or SFP for F Class

#31 Postby Tim N » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:17 pm

On the subject of hash marks I prefer a plain crosshair and dot and use the target rings as aim off marks.
I’ll adjust for elevation during a shoot but usually hold off for wind.
Each to their own but I like things simple as possible 8)
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

pjifl

#32 Postby pjifl » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:04 am

It almost goes without saying that one should never aim off for elevation. Aiming off in two dimensions at once always reduces the precision of the aimoff. There may be the few rare exceptions - like if you suspect your scope has a knob problem.

A more complex Graticule does not necessarily imply that it cannot be used in a very simple way. It simply means there may be alternative ways to use it, which under certain atmospherics will perform better. Your eye should be able to concentrate on the centre of the Graticule and blot out anything else if needed.

After a lot of experimenting with dots, some floating, others as part of a line, small unattached crosses in a central space between the ends of lines, and tiny hollow square dots I decided none had any advantage over a simple cross. Perhaps on the old target with white Super a dot was useful but I found a good cross just as useful - as long as the lines were not too thin.

There is no doubt all of this is a personal thing. But keep an open mind that other systems may exist and that your eyes will change as you age. Be prepared to experiment and change. Too many people drop out of the sport because they refuse to change.

My eyes have changed. Unfortunately the rest of me has also changed and I am shooting from a far from perfect bench. Aiming is not only about how precise it can be but also about how quickly one can make corrections - which are more often needed from a flexible bench. At the moment, I am doing very well aligning circles on Target and Graticule - which is a variation of boxing. See below. The white lines were simply constructions lines when I generated this image many years ago - certainly not visible in the scope.

Peter Smith.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gyro

#33 Postby Gyro » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:07 pm

As Tim says : simple is one way. Even if your style lacks precision ( mine does ) at least you have a 'system' that does not need excessive attention which straight away frees your mind to manage all the other things taking place in string shooting. For the shooter that is changing scope power over different ranges and conditions and going from a boxing type technique to a holding off or to dialling for everthing ..... that's just asking for confusion and mistakes to my way of thinking. Always operating at a lower magnification will - except for rare occasions - avoid that, for better or worse ! MAYBE that costs some super centers. I can live with that.

pjifl

#34 Postby pjifl » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:33 pm

The one thing that is needed when aiming off is to be able to quickly transition back to centre if the atmospheric scintillation becomes very bad during a shoot. You can start a shoot where target lines are visible, only for them to be totally invisible 4 slots later.
You need a reliable simple system for each technique and the confidence to make the transition. Some Graticules cater for this better than others. And the US targets also cater for this better than our ICFRA targets. This is where true minute ticks on a Graticule becomes superior than aiming off using ICFRA target rings.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”