If there was just one cal that could do it all!!

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: If there was just one cal that could do it all!!

#16 Postby AlanF » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:38 pm

ben_g wrote:...The 284 would always be my suggestion for a beginners ‘one calibre’ setup...You want better barrel life, better grouping and at least equal ballistics then have a 300WSM chambered...

Ben,

According to my ballistics calculations, a 30 cal 215 Berger will only outperform a .284 using 180 Bergers if it exceeds the energy limits (3500 ft-lb) allowed on Australian "Classification" ranges. I get the following approximate figures for 20mph wind deflection at 1000yards :

.30 cal Berger 215gn Hybrid G7 0.354 at 2708 fps (3500 ft-lb) deflects 11.4 MOA
7mm Berger 180gn VLD G7 0.350 at 2820 fps (3178 ft-lb)) deflects 10.9 MOA

Granted there are higher BC .30 cal bullets but that's also the case for 7mm. I'm currently using Berger 190s in a 284 Shehane and its figures are :
7mm Berger 190gn Hybrid G7 0.384 at 2824 fps (3364 ft-lb) deflects 9.6 MOA

It is an advantage to be able to go to any NRAA affiliated range in Australia and not have to load down to comply, and the 284 and variants are always under 3500 ft-lb if they're loaded using safe practices.

The 3500 ft-lb limit will not be of concern for some (e.g. South Australia I'm told), but its not good general advice to say that the 300 WSM is better ballistically than a 284 for F-Class.

ben_g

#17 Postby ben_g » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Alan.

No issues in NSW or ACT where I mainly shoot, energy restrictions are 4186ft/lbs which the WSM is comfortably under.

I have SAUM barrels to comply with other states limits.

Despite what might be calculated on paper the my experience is the 30cal pills fly more consistently than the 7mm’s at the longs. I have used it at a few Match rifle distance events and I feel I have a tangible advantage over the 7’s.

And yes the 300WSM is definitely better than the 284 ballistically, on paper it’s about equal to the SAUM, in the real world.... well I know what I would shoot if I was going to South Africa.
Last edited by ben_g on Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gyro

#18 Postby Gyro » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Yes a 300wsm can shoot bloody well Ben! I have played with that cartridge some. You have your work cut out managing it tho.

ben_g

#19 Postby ben_g » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Gyro wrote:Yes a 300wsm can shoot bloody well Ben! I have played with that cartridge some. You have your work cut out managing it tho.

Not with the right stock and technique..... before I had the Dima stock with the bump buster I would agree that it can be a handful over the course a few day’s shooting. But with the right setup it’s certainly manageable.

Gyro

#20 Postby Gyro » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:00 pm

ben_g

#21 Postby ben_g » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:09 pm

Just touching on the derived ballistic calc that Alan posted above.

The 215 Hybrid when pointed has a G7 BC of around 0.371-0.375 and can be driven around 2940fps without exceeding MV limits on my range and without pushing limits of pressure in the WSM case.

But it does it while remaining VERY easy to tune and keep in tune. How many are finding easy to tune accuracy with the 190??? If they are they are keeping it very quiet, if talk from the states is to be believed the 184 is THE bullet for the 284 and derivatives.

I have played with the longer pointy bullets like the Sierra 183 7mm and while it has a very high BC it is not as easy to get it shooting small as the shorter bullets.
I think longer ogives and less bearing surface that yield better BC also detracts from easy tuning.

Certainly the 180Berger hybrid or VLD is much easier to find a load for than the 183 Sierra

I still feel that repeatable and reliable accuracy is of more importance than brute horsepower to save that last 1% of wind deflection. That’s why the 284 is so popular, it’s really not at all far behind the SAUM in ballistics when you consider it’s still mostly the shooter not the bullet that wins, it’s pretty easy on barrels, it’s easy to tune and components are readily available.

The primary reason I like my 300WSM is because I am lazy and time poor. It’s easy to work with much like a Dasher is easy and gives essentially comparable external ballistics to the SAUM which I find takes a little more finessing to maintain accuracy.

willow

#22 Postby willow » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:20 pm

I'm a fan of the 280AI, it has served me well over the past couple of years but I'll be going to a 284 next mainly for the fact Peterson are making some top quality brass and I wasn't happy with Norma charging a fortune for brass which needs to be fireformed. Having said that, Peterson now make 280AI brass after I made my decision...timing is everything as they say!

There's a lot to like about the 284/280 calibres, they're easy to tune, offer a decent barrel life and good ballistics.

AlanF

#23 Postby AlanF » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:38 pm

ben_g wrote:... How many are finding easy to tune accuracy with the 190??? If they are they are keeping it very quiet, if talk from the states is to be believed the 184 is THE bullet for the 284 and derivatives...

Maybe I've been lucky but the 190 is currently my bullet of choice. For other regulars at Rosedale the SMK 183 goes very well, and is their go to projectile. I have some 184s and will get round to trying them when we get back to the range. Some projectiles take a while to catch on, mainly because a few leading shooters don't have success with them. This can be because their barrels and or reamers are not ideally suited. Someone can then work out the ideal recipe for the projectile and then everyone wants them. This happened with the 180 Hybrids - initially nearly everyone stuck with the VLD, then someone worked out a better seating depth and leade angle recipe for the Hybrid and they took off.

ben_g

#24 Postby ben_g » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Yes I am still persisting with the 183.

I was getting close to having an acceptable load running for the VRA queens until it was cancelled and haven’t done any further development.

If it’s not bucketing down tomorrow I have some loaded to have fiddle with seating depth as I think that’s where they are a little fussy compared to the 180’s.

What twist are you shooting the 190’s? I’m using 8.5 twists.

AlanF

#25 Postby AlanF » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:27 pm

ben_g wrote:What twist are you shooting the 190’s? I’m using 8.5 twists.

1 in 8. The 195 EOLs like this twist as well.

RDavies

#26 Postby RDavies » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:05 pm

For a one gun do it all calibre, I will go with a 284 or improved variant.
The 280AIs seem to be good for those who love tuning and testing and those who run them seem to be doing a lot of both. Yes, they can often shoot well, but it seems they just aren't quite as consistent as the 284 based cases.
284 based guns have reasonable barrel life so you can get away with shooting them all year in club shoots and OPMs. Along with reasonable barrel life come longer tune life, or not needing to adjust loads very often. If you shoot very quickly on ETs, the 284 doesn't kick too hard or heat up barrels too badly so suited to those people.
Recoil is reasonable without having to resort to recoil absorbers etc. The 284 sized cases will appeal to many as it will work in their current actions.

My personal favourite long range cartridge is the 7 SAUM, a lovely cartridge in many ways, except barrel life which for most will make it unsuitable as a do it all cartridge. I only use mine in big comps due to the short accurate barrel life. It is accurate, easy to tune and fits inside the reduced energy limits in Victoria and QLD. As mentioned, its main downside if barrel life. If you can afford to use up two barrels a year by using a SAUM in club shoots and OPMs, then go for it if you don't mind the slight increase in recoil. The reason SAUMs aren't as popular as 284s in USA is they do string fire for 15-20 shots which really cook SAUM barrels.
The 300WSM certainly does interest me but I couldn't count it as a one gun cartridge for some due to its recoil and cost to feed. Not just the cost of cases, but extra powder and projectiles costs as well. Another issue for some is it cant be used properly in Victoria and QLD with their reduced energy limits. With the 300WSM, most really would want a very good stock with recoil reducers, but some don't mind the extra push. My own 300WSM is in a 35kg heavy gun, but the cartridge certainly has been easy to tune and very accurate in my limited experience. I have used a few other peoples 10kg 300WSMs and some handled better than others but I can concur Ben Gs, does shoot very nicely indeed. I dont know how well a 300WSM would go rapid firing on ETs or whether longer shot strings would cause recoil fatigue or flinching for some, which will reduce its suitability as a do it all cartridge.

RAVEN

#27 Postby RAVEN » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:05 pm

Interesting Graham looks like you are venturing into the black magic area on a few statements
I think one cartridge that we haven’t seem much of yet is the KMR
Good velocity achieved without stuffing primer pocket
Velocity node in the 2930 zone probably better than the Shehane
You do not need mag bolt face can have a switch barrel in 6.5 or super accurate 6mm like the Gay Tiger or Dasher

some advice Graham don’t polish too much your will wear your barrel out
RB :D

willow

#28 Postby willow » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:48 am

RAVEN wrote:Interesting Graham looks like you are venturing into the black magic area on a few statements
I think one cartridge that we haven’t seem much of yet is the KMR
Good velocity achieved without stuffing primer pocket
Velocity node in the 2930 zone probably better than the Shehane
You do not need mag bolt face can have a switch barrel in 6.5 or super accurate 6mm like the Gay Tiger or Dasher

some advice Graham don’t polish too much your will wear your barrel out
RB :D

Getting dies and a reamer were a bit tricky when I looked into this calibre last year. Emil Kovan was not particularly accommodating unfortunately.

John T

#29 Postby John T » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:12 pm

Would you shoot a 6.5 x 47 in competition at 2100 yards? This guy did.
www.precisionrifleblog.com/2020/08/27/best-rifle-elr

That link does not look good. Search PRB, "What The Pros Use."

More importantly, see how the 7 RSAUM performed.

Rod, will we see you with a 300 Norma Magnum?

Regards,
John T.

RDavies

#30 Postby RDavies » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:41 pm

John T wrote:Rod, will we see you with a 300 Norma Magnum?

Regards,
John T.

In a 10kg rifle with no brake, a 7 SAUM is as big as you will see me with

Return to “Equipment & Technical”