Best Value Spotting Scopes..?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

loneranger

Best Value Spotting Scopes..?

#1 Postby loneranger » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:12 am

In the market for a new spotting scope for range work. I have looked at a few brands and had my eyes on a Vixen model that James Corbett used to sell, but sadly they have been discontinued.
I am looking for a fairly compact scope with good eye relief (I hate squinting) and was thinking about the Vortex Diamondback, but do you guys have any recommendations for a good spotting scope for around $500-$1000 ?

Accuracy

Re: Best Value Spotting Scopes..?

#2 Postby Accuracy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:26 pm

Celestron Trailseeker 80mm 20-60x angled spotting scope.
Well made excellent optics and great eye relief. Very reasonably priced too.

scott/r

#3 Postby scott/r » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:57 am

You'd be able to pick up a good 2nd hand Kona with a stand for well within your price range. I think I payed about $350 mates rates for a tsn-1 that does more than I've ever asked it to do.
Scott.

GSells

#4 Postby GSells » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi , I use a $300 eBay Celestron since end of 2017 . Been everywhere I’ve competed and does the job .
Think it’s the 65 mm ultimer or something like that. I ware glasses when I shoot “astigmatism “ . I just took of the eye cup rubber .
Been good , saved a few points but like anything . It takes a lot of hard work to use a spotting scope successfully! One Question I always ask myself is “ is the scope going to help or hinder me on this detail ?” .

lonerider43

#5 Postby lonerider43 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:19 pm

mine have been ebay,never had a problem with them,they are good out to the 1000yrd
see mirage reasonably well,pack away easy.
a mates got a big arse scope,i reckon you could use looking at moon craters.
doesnt seem to help him any more than mine helps me.
horses for courses mate.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

bainp

#6 Postby bainp » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:34 pm

I have a Konus 70. Not as good as a Leica that I also own BUT the difference in price is thousands. The Konus is almost up there in picture quality. I have been asked many times by someone to borrow my scope for scoring duties. At least twice I have allowed someone to borrow my Leica and the next thing I see is the scope lying on the ground from overbalancing while the scorer wasn't paying attention. I don't allow anyone to borrow any of my equipment any more.
I can't afford the cost of an overhaul of my Leica and I have never been offered the cost of repairs. For the cost of a Konus you can throw the spotting scope away if it gets damaged and buy a new one many times over.
Philip

loneranger

#7 Postby loneranger » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:57 am

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback...

bsouthernau

#8 Postby bsouthernau » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:57 am

bainp wrote: For the cost of a Konus you can throw the spotting scope away if it gets damaged and buy a new one many times over.
Philip

For scoring purposes I bought a cheapie from Australia Post for $75. I was so pleased with it that when they were clearing them at $50 I bought another. That was 14 years ago and they have toured the country and the world and given good service - but they are now falling apart. I've taken your advice - tossed them and just bought a bottom of the range Konus for $350.

bsouthernau

#9 Postby bsouthernau » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:05 am

loneranger wrote:Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback...

It will pay you to shop around. Two different sellers offering the Konus 20-60x100 with a $75 price differential. The dearer one was "free" shipping, other one may have been shipping extra.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”