Annealing brass - is it worth doing?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Gyro

Re: Annealing brass - is it worth doing?

#16 Postby Gyro » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:36 am

Litz did a heap of tests for one of his books and discovered that essentially there were negligible gains from measured bullet velocity ES consistency/variance. His annealing was done with the AMP machine and his conclusions were not really favourable of annealing.

BUT there’s a bunch of shooters who suspect there’s other dynamics at work that are improved/uniformed by annealing and fwiw I’m certainly in that bunch.

The testing continues.

bruce moulds

#17 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:08 am

litz is not god.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

AlanF

#18 Postby AlanF » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:54 am

bruce moulds wrote:litz is not god.
bruce.

Agreed but his scientific credentials are impressive. I'm wondering if there are many "sharp end" shooters out there who don't anneal, and who don't get a drop-off in scores as the brass approaches say 10 firings.

johnk

#19 Postby johnk » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:16 am

Have a British friend who says he flame anneals every time he sets the primer off.

bruce moulds

#20 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:17 am

alan,
also don't forget the benefits of not getting split necks in otherwise good brass after a number of firings.
bruce.

bruce moulds

#21 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:19 am

johnk wrote:Have a British friend who says he flame anneals every time he sets the primer off.

does he bring the neck to the correct temp/time balance to keep them all at the right, same temper?
here we come back to a basic lack of understanding of how the process works and what is required.
bruce.

Gyro

#22 Postby Gyro » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:35 am

johnk wrote:Have a British friend who says he flame anneals every time he sets the primer off.

Them Poms are sharp !

Tim L

#23 Postby Tim L » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:21 pm

neil y wrote:Has anyone done ES tests before and after.

Unfortunately, I don't think it would be that simple. Like many aspects of this game it is very dfifficult to change something and not effect something else. Simply shooting hardened cases to get an es then annealing and shooting again to see if the es is lower would not be a fair test.

How would we be sure the affect of annealing didn't throw the load off the node?

argh

#24 Postby argh » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:55 pm

For what its worth, i anneal every firing now. I did notice a small improvement in vertical on the target over non-anealed brass, so i will keep going.
When i first anealed with a gas torch and a case in a socket in the drill, it was inconsistent and accuracy went to sh1t. I actually threw those cases out.
If you are going to aneal, it MUST be consistent from one case to another as some have already pointed out in this thread. Inconsistencies by trying to guess the length of time in the flane is IMO asking for poor outcomes. The AMP, or any of the wheel/gas anealers that are consistent from case to case are the only way to go.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”