Hunter/ Class registration

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

superx10

Hunter/ Class registration

#1 Postby superx10 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi
My club is getting a lot of Hunter class shooters coming with their hunting style guns, and it great to see. Last week I said how come they are not getting scored as Hunter/sporter class the RO said " we do not have that class registered to shoot so they have to be called f open" does this spond correct.
Any help much appreciated .

Spud308

Re: Hunter/ Class registration

#2 Postby Spud308 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:17 pm

SSR's Chapter 23 Scoring as per TR ie; with 5 and V bulls.

S.S NO FEAR

#3 Postby S.S NO FEAR » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:01 pm

Are you shooting on hexta targets

williada

#4 Postby williada » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:29 pm

SuperX10 we are getting a few Hunter Class Shooters each week we are allowed to shoot under Covid Rules in Vic. and as Spud says, treat them the same as TR. Some are now trying FO with other people's gear. Great club builder.

superx10

#5 Postby superx10 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:18 am

Thanks for your replies.

Normal paper targets.

My question was more to do with the RO saying " Our club is not registered to shoot this catagory " ???

Very coservitive club, Muzzel breaks and mag loding defiently out.

Matt P

#6 Postby Matt P » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:15 am

There is no registration required, simply add it to the score sheet/board.
Clubs have a simple decision to make, be more accepting and friendly towards new members and classes or die.
Matt P

superx10

#7 Postby superx10 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:15 am

Hunter class shooters are making up a large proportion of the centre fire shooters in our club, I could not agreee more with your comments Matt P. My club has three deviisions 22LR, shot Gun, and Full bore if it was not for the Hunter class the full bore would be in decline with the other two claseses growing.
I feel they should be able to use thier magazine to load, and given every opotunity to expand and even have their own devision at OPM :mrgreen:

whynot

#8 Postby whynot » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:28 am

The WA Queens is running Hunter as its own class, as are most prize meets

bsouthernau

#9 Postby bsouthernau » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:59 am

superx10 wrote:
My question was more to do with the RO saying " Our club is not registered to shoot this catagory " ???

There's a possibility he was referring to your range approval. As I recall ours says we can shoot Fullbore and Field Rifle. It might pay you to check on yours. Far more likely that he was being obstinate.

williada

#10 Postby williada » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Barry, at our club we have been investigating official range use both from an insurance point of view and caliber. The definition of "fullbore has been in transition since the change of authority from the Defence Department to State Governance and is reflected in the NRAA Rules which we now consent to. We no longer sign an oath or affirmation of allegiance as per the Defence Act. We have been in limbo for some time and what we can and can't do has been confusing at times. It also seems officials change hats regularly along with emphasis.

The current emphasis in Victoria is upon safety and is determined by energy limits (except for 50 cal and above) and recognises firing rights have to be negotiated with neighbours to accommodate the range safety template. Army safety templates are still in use on many ranges, but these can be renegotiated. In Victoria, the Police have a manual which describes calculation of safety templates that may have higher energy limits than the traditional army template for small arms.

In our current consultation, our understanding is that if the range is an "approved range" by Police, then from the insurance point of view there is no issue. In fact, the NRAA Rules cover a very wide range of shooting activities inclusive of Hunter Class since their prescriptive use of ranges by the former Defence Act was repealed and they handle our insurance. The TR class used to be called "Fullbore", so the term is redundant in its former application.

Range Officials/clubs therefore need to clear gear for use on their approved safety template. That safety template can vary from range to range and a set energy limit for one range does not apply to all. Ranges should declare these limits. I know the Bendigo range applies a strict limit due to its safety template, but this is not prescriptive for all ranges and because it is a state range many have been led to believe that Bendigo rule applies to all ranges when it does not.

AlanF

#11 Postby AlanF » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:26 pm

Barry, David,

At Rosedale we have specific approval (interim) from the Police for the Sporting Hunting Discipline. When all clerical boxes have been checked our formal Range Approval will be updated.

williada

#12 Postby williada » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:18 pm

Al, I think the information we get at times depends on who and at what level we speak to. The interim approval is likely to be a given under the existing template manual. There should be no impediment. Therefore I query the need for a discipline classification rather than an energy limit classification as to what I was informed last week. Seems that one hand does not know what the other is doing at times in terms of procedure. In time it will be resolved.

superx10

#13 Postby superx10 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:56 pm

Hi
Thnkas for all your responses.

It looks likke the leadership team at my club is reading the the same script as Alan's.

So graet to see that Hunter class has enetred the OPM =D> and even queen series =D> .Yippee.

Mayvery well save our sport or at least do for it what scopes did when TR dominated.

johnk

#14 Postby johnk » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:54 pm

A version of the Belmont range standing orders from when I was CRO (and I don't believe this element has been changed) states:

It is approved for Category A & B Firearms for sport target shooting and training.

Matches
Air Rifle
Centrefire Rifle
Fullbore Rifle
Muzzle Loading Rifle
Rimfire/Smallbore Rifle
Service Rifle

From this, one could expect to use Hunter Class firearms shot at SSR bullseye targets at the distances that the range is specified for, provided the energy limits are complied with.

Might be worthwhile checking your local approvals & RSO, as has been said.

williada

#15 Postby williada » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:05 pm

John, that was the official message I was getting as of last week in Victoria. Its good sense and ties it to licensing provisions.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”