100 year old full bore club shut down after range inspection.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

superx10

100 year old full bore club shut down after range inspection.

#1 Postby superx10 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:37 pm

It is with sadness that I inform the forum members that after a police range inspection on the Murwillumbah range they said to stop full boar shooting until extensive work is completed on the butts, mantle, and mounds, I am not part of the committee and this message is only intended as being informative for other clubs.

Please no conspiricy theories or us against them.

The fact that shooting has occured for almost 100 years, the biggest rifle shot there in recent years would be my 284 and that there is a 300 meter high mountain straight behind the butts does not mean it meets the new requirements.
:x
Last edited by superx10 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajvanwyk

Re: 100 year old full bore club shut down after range inspection.

#2 Postby ajvanwyk » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:11 pm

Superx10... could you please pass my details on to the Range committee and ask then to make contact. 0477299446 albert@nraa.com.au

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

Wingnut

#3 Postby Wingnut » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:27 pm

This should probably serve as a bit of a wake up call to everyone to ensure they maintain their facilities. If your club doesn’t have an active maintenance team you need one.

superx10

#4 Postby superx10 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:26 am

Hi
Thanks, I have passed on your details to a commitee member, and yes a maintenance team should definitely be established or the work performed by tradies.

Ratgun

#5 Postby Ratgun » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:08 pm

Is the range inspections the same state to state. What is the list of guidelines you have to adhere to or where can you find them, I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only one not knowing what is actually expected clubs to have in place, most of the time it’s only what you here off others and what they say you should have. Thanks if someone could point me in the right direction.

Wingnut

#6 Postby Wingnut » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:21 am

Unfortunately each state varies somewhat in the requirements that they impose. Most use documentation that is based on the current Australian Army guidelines for range construction / layout, but a good starting point is the NSW Range Users Guide which can be accessed here: https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... e_2017.pdf

One of the biggest issues many older ranges face is that standards have changed considerably from when they were constructed, meaning the infrastructure in place often has to be improved or re-engineered. I'd suggest each club / range facility contacts their local firearms registry section to obtain a copy of the current standards so they can self audit their facilities and start formulating a plan to address any inadequacies they find.

Ratgun

#7 Postby Ratgun » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:13 pm

Thanks wingnut for the information. Has any body got one from the Qld police or got a link or copy.

superx10

#8 Postby superx10 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks, wingnut some good info coming in, I'll try and keep you posted on whta is happening with the Murwillumbah range.
But your commnets seem to be spot on.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”