Wilson FL bushing dies

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tim L

Wilson FL bushing dies

#1 Postby Tim L » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:12 pm

Just screwed in a new 7 SAUM barrel and needed to neck down 30 SAUM brass. I had the Wilson FL bushing die and a 309 die from the previous barrel that came with it's own brass. I only got the Wilson die to neck size that brass but thought it would be an easy process of just pushing the new 30cal cases in the die. Not so.
I found the Wilson die only allows the bush to size the top half(ish) of the neck. It will not size down to the neck shoulder junction. Is that usual?

I had to do similar to get 308 palma down to 6.5 for the SLR and found that was pretty simple with a Widden die. It sized the whole neck down. Just a bit puzzled.

Ian Hughes

Re: Wilson FL bushing dies

#2 Postby Ian Hughes » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Just been through that process myself. You will need to get a full length sizing die, then neck turn. I also had the problem of slightly too much headspace, had to load reduced load and jam the projectiles a bit, that was with Norma 300 Saum brass

Steve N

#3 Postby Steve N » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Tim I think you need a non bushing 7 saum FLS die this get all of the neck down.

Tim L

#4 Postby Tim L » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:32 pm

Steve N wrote:Tim I think you need a non bushing 7 saum FLS die this get all of the neck down.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there Steve.
Just got the Widden out and although its a bushing die, there is no material at the top of the shoulder neck apature. On the Wilson there is a distinct 3 or 4mm of parallel hole above where the shoulder meets the neck.

I worked around it, but not sharing my agricultural engineering solutions on such a prestigious forum :wink:

bruce moulds

#5 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:24 pm

if you are neck turning, bushing dies are totally unsuitable for that.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Tim L

#6 Postby Tim L » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:47 pm

bruce moulds wrote:if you are neck turning, bushing dies are totally unsuitable for that.
bruce.

No turn neck Bruce. the 309 is too tight but the only one I have so I ran it through then expanded.
I have a 312 and 313 on the way to do the rest, but it's not going to help because they will also only do the top half of the neck. :cry:

Return to “Equipment & Technical”