Beginners scope suggestions

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

GosHawk

Beginners scope suggestions

#1 Postby GosHawk » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:57 am

Hi All,

Looking for some advise on what scope to get (I'm sure you all hear this a lot). I'm just a beginner (primarily been a hunter for past 30 years) and will be shooting primarily under 600 yards with a heavy barrel HOWA in 6.5creed.

I was considering either:

Sightron Siii 10-50x60
Sightron Siii 8-32x56, or
Sightron Siii 45x45 with ED glass

All of these choices range around $1500 to $1800 which is about the limit of my budget at the moment.

Are there any other I should consider?

Thanks,
Justin

Tim L

Re: Beginners scope suggestions

#2 Postby Tim L » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:20 pm

There are many contenders and all 3 you mention will do the job
For what it's worth I started with an Siii 10-50 and I still use it.
One decision you do need to consider (just as important as the scope) is what reticule you want.
Simple dot, plain crosshair or one of the multitude of other options.

GosHawk

#3 Postby GosHawk » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Tim L wrote:There are many contenders and all 3 you mention will do the job
One decision you do need to consider (just as important as the scope) is what reticule you want.

Hi Tim,
How is the scope at maximum magnification? Clear? how far out could you see holes in targets? I have read somewhere that non ED glass scopes start to struggle past x30 magnification, not sure how true this is.
Also, what reticule would you suggest? I was planning on just getting a fine crosshair version as I haven't had much experience using hash marks, I do like the 2-MOA version as it has a floating dot in the centre of the reticule.

Thanks

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:08 pm

Make sure to get an MOA (not MIL) scope with 1/8 MOA adjustment. I think some of the 8-32 Sightrons are only 1/4 MOA. I have 2 Sightrons and would recommend them. Probably better to go with variable than fixed magnification. Some may prefer a fixed 45X for 1-200yd BR but you rarely see that type of scope on full-bore ranges. Many F-Class shooters prefer to vary the magnification to suit conditions, distance etc.

Chris S

#5 Postby Chris S » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:00 pm

See For Sale/Wanted to buy forum :-)

cheers,
Chris
You can never carry too much ammo...
unless you are drowning or on fire.

GosHawk

#6 Postby GosHawk » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:09 pm

I'll go exploring now. Anything in particular?

GosHawk

#7 Postby GosHawk » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:11 pm

Chris S wrote:See For Sale/Wanted to buy forum :-)

cheers,
Chris

hahaha Just found it!

jasmay

#8 Postby jasmay » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:27 pm

The sightron Siii 10x50 is a great scope for the price, as I progressed through shooting and picked up nightforce sponsorship I shared shooting the NF 15-55 comp, but in all honesty, if that hasn’t happened I would still be using the sightron, they are that good.

As far as seeing holes above a certain power, a lot of factors come into play, but for F-Class it a a bit of a non issue due to ET’s or spotters being used.

If your load developing, you will easily see holes out to 200yds with it.

Gyro

#9 Postby Gyro » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:21 pm

Tim L wrote:There are many contenders and all 3 you mention will do the job

I'm with Tim, the reticle choice is very important. I never ever touch the windage dial when I shoot so a scope with 1 moa hash marks on the horizontal reticle is my pick.

And understand too if your scope is a FFP ( first focal plane ) then the hash marks stay true at all magnifications.

With a SFP ( second focal plane scope ) the reticle marks will only be true at one magnification.

I only explain the above just in case u are not fully aware of what SFP and FFP means. If u dial for windage adjustments then it doesn't matter if u choose an SFP or FFP scope.

Just while I'm here waffling on I mention the "holding off" vs dialing as a totally personal thing but in really hard conditions it really does make things simpler.

GosHawk

#10 Postby GosHawk » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:27 pm

Looks like the 10-50x60 is the winner by a long shot... Now, to work out what reticle to get

IamPlayer

#11 Postby IamPlayer » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:09 pm

Im using the 10-50x 60 with the 2-moa, and very happy with it, even out to a 1000 yards, as with most scopes at max magnification it does glare out a little, but a very clear sight picture when wound down a little.

Tim L

#12 Postby Tim L » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:20 pm

In good conditions the Sightron can "see" the x (i mean the x in the middle of the x ring) at 900m.
In bad conditions it's like any other scope.
I would also say that a plain reticule means you have to aim at something. That might seem like a redundant statement but in heavy mirage you will find what you're aiming at can sometims be a grey blob that's moving. You end up guessing where the middle is.
Having hash marks allows you to bracket the grey blob. Ie have the blob bouncing inside a set of hash marks.
This is all very individual stuff that is more dependent on how YOU see things. Some people can't see mirage, some can accomodate it and some can't.
You'll need to have these discussions with people on the mound and compare what you see with what they describe.

GosHawk

#13 Postby GosHawk » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:33 pm

Thanks everyone for all the tips, you have all been friendly, very informative and accommodating.
No doubt I will have a heap of other questions soon. Hopefully I can find some time to visit my local range (Canberra) and have a chat and shoot with some F-Class regulars.

Thanks!

Tim L

#14 Postby Tim L » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:52 pm

GosHawk wrote:Thanks everyone for all the tips, you have all been friendly, very informative and accommodating.
No doubt I will have a heap of other questions soon. Hopefully I can find some time to visit my local range (Canberra) and have a chat and shoot with some F-Class regulars.

Thanks!

Don't rush in btw. Have a look through a few scopes but not just once. Looking through anything half decent on a nice crisp dry morning is going to look pretty good. Have another look during a warm damp still afternoon when the mirage is trashing the sight picture. You'll soon see why some scopes have the pricetag they do.

GosHawk

#15 Postby GosHawk » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:20 pm

Tim L wrote:
GosHawk wrote:Thanks everyone for all the tips, you have all been friendly, very informative and accommodating.

Thanks!

Don't rush in btw. Have a look through a few scopes but not just once. Looking through anything half decent on a nice crisp dry morning is going to look pretty good. Have another look during a warm damp still afternoon when the mirage is trashing the sight picture. You'll soon see why some scopes have the pricetag they do.

I only have a Meopta 6-18x50 at the moment. I have been looking through a friends NF 15-55x52 Competition and its pretty amazing in comparison. we have had a metric shat-ton of rain lately, I'll be interested in seeing how well it deals with the heat and humidity. I'm in no rush to get anything without a heap of research first. especially with Xmas coming up and being time-poor during the festive season.
I'm averaging around 0.5" five shot groups @100m with a howa/mdt ess/Peterson brass/140gr ELD-M/AR2209/f205m or BR-4/Meopta scope combo, issue being the reticule thickness must be around 0.5" to 0.75" at 100m.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”