to moly or not

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

whippy

to moly or not

#1 Postby whippy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:58 pm

i apologise if this is discussed in another thread, but i can't find one. i have heard several opinions on the subject of moly. some say it is a waste of time, others say it improves barrel life. by what i have read on the subject it helps in the cleaning of the rifle. i would appreciate any thoughts on this . thanks all. :-k
SHOOT WELL & SHOOT TRUE

ned kelly

#2 Postby ned kelly » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:29 pm

G'Day whippy,
I've used moly in my SR BR rifles for 10yrs or so, and all my hunting rifles and F class rifle. I personally think it reduces accuracy by a very, very small margin and you can only really tell in a BR rifle, you wont notice it in an F class rifle. It would be an insignificant factor for long range shooting. The only advantage I've found in moly is the number of shots betweeen cleaning is probably double that of bare bullets as a rough rule of thumb. I'd go 50+ shots in a BR rifle and have done so with my 22-250 (Max) and have shot 40+ out of my .223 with 75amax's and 80gnSMK's in open class.

All other claims of increased BC, barrel life, etc are just that, claims but no evidence of proof, IMHO. You may need a little more powder to get the same velocity, but always load for accuracy and treat them as a new bullet and work up a load accordingly.

Anyone else please care to comment?

Hope this helps

Cheerio Ned

Barry T

#3 Postby Barry T » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:57 pm

Hello :D whippy, i use to use molly but did not like it. if you molly your projectiles yourself make sure you do it right and it can be messy, dont go inside without washing your hands,mum won't like it :lol: :lol: :lol: . and watch out for build up in the throat of your barrel ,you can ruin it.ounce it is in your barrel it is hard to get out. i go natural now. if i am right you either molly your barrel or projectiles , no need to do both, only the first time.then either barrel or projectiles. just my two cents.

ps. my dad stills mollies his projectiles :lol: but i still bet him.

if i am wrong please someome reply with their advice.

cheers from barry 8)

ned kelly

#4 Postby ned kelly » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:14 am

G'Day Whippy,
what Barry T had in his throat was carbon, pure and simple. Moly does not mean you cannot clean. Carbon will still build up if the powder you use is not clean burning. So will copper if the throat is rough. I use JB's bore paste to help there, as well as Sweets.

I have never has any problems with the ADI powders, esp BM1, BM2 & 2208.

Each rifle barrel, powder & bullet will produce different effects, you will need to work out just how many rounds your combination allows you to shoot between cleaning. especially if your barrel is worn. I found on my BR barrels that as they reached the end of their life (2500+ rounds), i needed to clean more regularly, but still much less than a barrel using bare bullets.

hope this helps

Cheerio Ned

whippy

#5 Postby whippy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:11 pm

Thanks for the thoughts and advice everyone. Much appreciated. It has helped a lot.
SHOOT WELL & SHOOT TRUE

Return to “Equipment & Technical”