Primer tool

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

pjifl

Re: Primer tool

#31 Postby pjifl » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:31 am

I can measure the number of double flash hole primers I have operated on in terms of 'worn out Punches' but I know people who have done even more.

The main tool was a surge of hydraulic energy derived from a large hammer and a close fitting 'Punch'. The hydraulic fluid was - as the original derivation of word 'Hydraulic' implied - water. But we had to initially trepan all the primer pockets to 'unstake' the primer and allow it to exit. I have made a few of those tools as well.

When the punch top had curled over and was trimmed a few times and the shank expanded too much from use, we had to make a new one every so often.

People don't know how easy they have it today.

Peter Smith.

bruce moulds

#32 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:22 pm

the old bison hunters of the 1870s used berdan primers.
many of them reloaded in primitive camps.
i have read instructions in old sharps rifle co publications (reprints) about reloading them.
they primarily used an awl to get the old ones out.
i believe berdans were originally american and boxer english.
then they swapped over for some reason.
a bit like 6mm was first an english calibre, but the americans took to it with their ears back.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

johnk

#33 Postby johnk » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:09 pm

bruce moulds wrote:i have read instructions in old sharps rifle co publications (reprints) about reloading them.
they primarily used an awl to get the old ones out.

I used an old .303 barrel stub in a vice, hitting the primer with a punch ground to a fine chisel point maybe 1½ mm wide. You strike the nearside of the firing pin indentation at a 30 degree angle or so to horizontal, briskly raising the wrist holding the punch as you do so and she just pops out. Go too deep or too sharp an angle & there goes the anvil.

pjifl

#34 Postby pjifl » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:56 pm

I did try using a punch/awl type of thing but the hydraulic method seemed more certain and did less damage. It was mindless work helping to load for a club. Twin flash holes were reportedly better for ignition, BUT after a few reloads, the anvil corroded down and changed so I suspect ignition was not as good. But it does bring back memories,

Mozzie

#35 Postby Mozzie » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:06 pm

Hi
Where's the best place to get a 21st century primer tool please, also someone mentioned a code for a discount, where please ?
Like the saying goes, if you don't ask you won't get.
As last I heard we still can not read minds ( my wife excluded).
Cheers
Mozzie
My truck doesn’t run on love, it runs on diesel.
However, I love my rifle and it runs on lead. #-o

UL1700

#36 Postby UL1700 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:25 pm

http://www.xxicsi.com/ and fbook10 used to work, haven't tried it recently

Fire Dog

#37 Postby Fire Dog » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:40 pm

Quick wrote:I had a feed tray setup. The RCBS Universal. Worked good i upgraded to a 21st Century and I wont go back. The adjustment and feel you get is awesome. The lack of feed tray isnt an issue.

I've been using a 21st Century priming tool for years and would never go back to anything else... Very quick and consistently accurate in seating depth.
Each click is only about .001".
You will never need to waste time loading a tray {so that all primers are facing up} and you will never drop or spill a tray full of primers and be down on the floor trying to pick them all up.... :D

Return to “Equipment & Technical”