Primer tool

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

lewis reynolds

Primer tool

#1 Postby lewis reynolds » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:03 pm

Just after a few opinions on hand priming tools. I am looking to upgrade. And still would like a feed tray design if possible. Thanks in advance . Lewis

Quick

Re: Primer tool

#2 Postby Quick » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:59 pm

I had a feed tray setup. The RCBS Universal. Worked good i upgraded to a 21st Century and I wont go back. The adjustment and feel you get is awesome. The lack of feed tray isnt an issue.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

pjifl

#3 Postby pjifl » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:34 pm

I totally agree with 'Quick'. My 21st Century priming tool has no tray but I find it a joy to use. The feel and control is exceptional. I have had other priming tools but this one is better.

Peter Smith.

saum2

#4 Postby saum2 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:39 pm

I'm similar to Lewis, looking for a good hand primer tool. The Lee hand primer is ok with a tray but looking for a better way of priming if there is one. Is the 21st century tool single load??

Quick

#5 Postby Quick » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:57 am

Yes it is.

Ill be blunt. If you concern is the lack of priming tray for ease and speed of priming cases, your NOT looking for the utmost precision from your ammo.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

6.5x55ai

#6 Postby 6.5x55ai » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:51 am

Another vote for the 21stC tool.

I'd rate it the best I have had for quality of operation and ergonomics and I have used the RCBS bench type, the RCBS Universal hand tool and the K&M dial indicator model. I never ever primed in my press.

I also tried the Lee for a very short period of time but gave to an old guy in the club after his Lee had the classic handle breakage.

Yes, it's a single load, but I doubt it's much slower than a tray type, well that's my opinion at any rate. Set up the primers in a flipper tray and away you go.

I have their older model with 3 thou per click adjustment but I can adjust mine between clicks for finer adjustment. Their latest model has finer click adjustment.
Last edited by 6.5x55ai on Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

lewis reynolds

#7 Postby lewis reynolds » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:41 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I will purchase the 21stc I think this is the first time anyone has asked a question on the internet and everyone was in agreement so it must be good. The feeding tray was more because I have recently lost a finger on my right hand and picking those primers up one at a time is a little more time consuming for me atm. But I will get around that . Thanks for the info . Lewis

UL1700

#8 Postby UL1700 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:47 am

Yep I also thought that the lack of a feed tray and additional primer handling was going to be an issue but just have the primers in a primer flipper next to you and it really doesn't take any extra time to use the 21st Century tool and I wouldn't go back. Also promo code fbook10 should get you a 10% discount.

Rich4

#9 Postby Rich4 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:52 am

I see the feed tray as a way of minimising skin contact with the primers, I generally only handle an individual primer if I have a woopsie, just one less variable though gloves would be good too if only they were made in XL gorilla size

6.5x55ai

#10 Postby 6.5x55ai » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:14 am

Ah, the old urban myth of death to primers if handled.
Nowadays the priming compound is well sealed.
I have soaked primers in oil and they still go bang after a couple of days.
Best advice for handling primers is wear safety glasses.

Rich4

#11 Postby Rich4 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:23 am

Actually I am more concerned with lead poisoning even though muzzle blast and fired primers are the real risk, but early on that was my first worry, I would say there’s a difference between going bang and being consistent though

Gyro

#12 Postby Gyro » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:44 am

So does the 21st Century tool seat primers always to a 'stop' at the bottom of the pocket and is it considered mandatory to seat primers to the bottom of the pocket ?

pjifl

#13 Postby pjifl » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:19 am

The 21st C priming tool that I have may either be used to seat by feel or to a very consistent primer depth. The feel one has is very good if you want to use it that way and the depth setting is well implemented on the tool.

The way I use it is to

1/ Use a primer pocket unifying tool. This should ensure uniform depth and remove a rounded corner in the edges of the pocket if it is there. This rounded corner is - I feel - one of the prime causes of inconsistent seating by feel. It causes the primer skirt to roll over if seated very firmly. Only found in some batches of brass.

2/ Then experiment and set to a definite depth - for which this tool excels. Then one needs little concentration when seating many primers.

I don't think primers use any Lead (Lead Staphnate) or Mercury compounds these days. Very old ones did use Chlorates and Perchlorates and Antimony compounds but again I think these have all been superseded. The Chlorate ones were corrosive and best washed out after shooting. Why wear gloves ???

Peter Smith.

Rich4

#14 Postby Rich4 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:36 am

As of at least 2018 I believe lead styphnate is still the compound of choice for Rifle primers due to consistency and brisance, pistol primers are more often used indoors and are mostly cleaner compounds now

ned kelly

#15 Postby ned kelly » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 am

G'day All,
I use the Sinclair one and single load each primer. I do use a RCBS Primer Tray-2 to flip them the right way up and it spreads them out to make it easier to pick up. The ram is adjustable for length and uses Lee Autoprime shellholders to hold your case. You can also get extra heads for different case diameters for quick change over.
Much better feel than all factory tools and comparable to the 21st Century priming tool
Hope this helps
Cheers Ned

Return to “Equipment & Technical”